Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Gordon Greene - Arkansas Death Row

Article

Arkansas death row inmate loses petition at US Supreme Court

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected a petition by an Arkansas death row inmate to raise new appeals, but without a full supply of lethal injection drugs the state will not be able to execute the prisoner anytime soon.

Arkansas' attorney general had argued there was no compelling reason for the justices to take up an appeal from Jack Greene. Greene was convicted of killing Sidney Jethro Burnett in 1991 after Burnett and his wife accused him of arson.

The Supreme Court denied Greene's petition Monday. Arkansas says Greene has now exhausted his appeals.

Arkansas last month executed four prisoners but had intended to execute eight.

Greene wanted hearings on grounds that lower courts too often reject appeals, that he is not mentally competent and that his lawyer was bad.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/us/a...S-11113031.php
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

New batch of lethal-injection drug acquired; execution date sought for Arkansas death-row inmate

Arkansas' attorney general Thursday requested the governor set an execution date for a death-row inmate, and a prisons spokesman says the state has acquired a new batch of a drug necessary to carry out his lethal injection.

In a letter to Gov. Asa Hutchinson, Leslie Rutledge asked that the death sentence be carried out for 62-year-old Jack Gordon Greene.

A spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Correction told an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reporter Thursday that the state acquired a new supply of midazolam — one of three drugs needed to complete executions, per state protocol — on Aug. 4. No stay of execution is in place regarding Greene’s conviction.

Greene was convicted in the July 1991 death of Sidney Burnett, 69, of Knoxville, who was found bound and gagged, beaten with a can of hominy, and stabbed twice, the Democrat-Gazette previously reported. The retired minister also had his throat slit.

The killer had reportedly met Burnett and his family several years before at their outreach mission in Lamar, which is about 4.5 miles north and west of Knoxville in Johnson County.

Records show Greene also received a life sentence in North Carolina in the slaying of his brother, 45-year-old Turner "Tommy" Greene of Wilkesboro, N.C., and the abduction of his then-15-year-old niece, Angela Dawn Blankenship of Purlear, N.C.

Greene arrived in Arkansas three days after his brother's killing.

Greene's attorneys argue that the convicted killer is severely mentally ill, saying he suffers from a fixed delusion that prison officials are conspiring with his attorneys to cover up injuries he believes corrections officers have inflicted on him.

"Capital punishment should not be used on vulnerable people like the severely mentally ill," John C. Williams, an assistant federal defender representing Greene, said in a statement to The Associated Press. "We hope Governor Hutchinson will refrain from setting an execution date for Mr. Greene since he is not competent for execution."

Thursday’s request comes months after the state carried out the executions of four death-row inmates by lethal injection. Eight executions had been planned over an 11-day period in April.

The state scheduled the executions to occur before its supply of midazolam expired.

Department of Correction Spokesman Solomon Graves told the AP on Thursday that the state's new supply expires in January 2019.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/201...ecution-date-/

2017 keeps getting better. Add another one to the pile. Should've requested one for McGehee as well. The 30 day clemency waiting period won't save him this time.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Member
    What about the 4 that got stays in April? Specially McGehee, he should be ready to get a new x-date.

Bruce Ward, Don Davis, and Stacey Johnson are all shelved for the time being. Ward and Davis over "incompetence" claims and the ruling in McWilliams, and Johnson over DNA testing. As for McGehee, nothing should be preventing him from a new date. His exclusion surprises me.

Major pharmaceutical companies began a sales ban on lethal injections drugs about six years ago to death penalty prison systems due to ethical concerns.

I really don't think the terms "drug companies" & "ethics" belong in the same sentence.

Especially when those same companies are giving opioids/pain pills to addicts like candy everywhere in the country. And yet they find using drugs for executions barbaric. Hypocrisy incarnate.

Execution Date Scheduled For Johnson County Man

LITTLE ROCK (KFSM) — Governor Asa Hutchinson scheduled the execution date on Friday (Aug. 25) for a Johnson County man that was convicted of murder in 1992.

The execution date for inmate Jack Gordon Greene has been scheduled for Nov. 9, 2017.

Attorney General Leslie Rutledge sought Hutchinson’s approval for an execution because Greene has exhausted his appeals and there is currently no stay of execution in place for Greene’s conviction, sentence, or the current lethal-injection protocol.

In the early 1990s, Greene went to North Carolina, kidnapped his niece and then killed his brother, Turner “Tommy” Greene. His niece, 16 at the time, survived.

Greene later killed 69-year-old Sidney Jethro Burnett at his Knoxville home in Johnson County.

Greene received a life sentence in North Carolina for his brother’s murder and niece’s kidnapping. In 1992, a jury sentenced him for the brutal slaying of Sidney Jethro Burnett.

http://5newsonline.com/2017/08/25/ex...ounty-man/amp/

Arkansas board to hear convicted killer's bid for clemency month before execution date

LITTLE ROCK — The Arkansas Parole Board says it will hear a convicted murderer's bid for clemency just more than a month before he's scheduled to be executed.

The board said Friday it will hold a hearing Oct. 4 on Jack Greene's application for executive clemency. Greene was convicted of killing Sidney Jethro Burnett in 1991 after Burnett and his wife accused Greene of arson.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson last month scheduled Greene's execution for Nov. 9 after the state said it had a new supply of midazolam, one of three drugs the state uses for lethal injection.

In April, the state scheduled eight executions before its previous supply of midazolam expired. Four prisoners were put to death and four other men were spared by the courts.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/201...-bid-clemency/

Attorneys Ask Judge To Halt November Execution Of Arkansas Inmate

Attorneys for an Arkansas inmate scheduled to be put to death in November have asked a judge to spare his life.

They say the execution would violate the Constitution because the inmate suffers from a psychotic disorder.

Attorneys for Jack Gordon Greene asked a Jefferson County judge late Wednesday to give Greene a hearing to determine whether he is incompetent to be executed.

Greene was convicted of killing Sidney Jethro Burnett in 1991 after Burnett and his wife accused Greene of arson.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson last month scheduled Greene's execution for Nov. 9 after the state said it had a new supply of midazolam, one of three drugs the state uses for lethal injection. Arkansas executed four inmates in April, its first executions in nearly 12 years.

http://ualrpublicradio.org/post/atto...nmate#stream/0

AR Death Row Inmate Calls Himself 'Totally Competent' for Upcoming Execution

VARNER, Ark. - The oldest Arkansas death row inmate and his victim's family agreed on one thing Wednesday: Jack Greene is "totally competent" for his upcoming execution.

However, Greene's attorneys have argued he is too mentally ill to legally be put to death.

Now the decision is in the hands of the Arkansas Parole Board, who will send its recommendation to Gov. Asa Hutchinson in the next 72 hours.

"I've been jacked up like this for 12 out of the last 13 years," Greene told the board during his clemency hearing at the Varner Unit Wednesday morning.

Instead of sitting in a chair next to his attorney, the 62 year old stood for the entire hour and a half, breathing heavy, contorting his body in pain and leaning against the table in front of them. He frequently touched his left ear and nose, which were both clogged with tissue.

"They [attorneys] started making me out to be a total idiot and retard from day one," he said. "I am totally competent to be executed. This is not a competency hearing. It's a clemency hearing."

Greene's attorney, John Williams, was on a different page, arguing conspiracy theories dominate his client's thoughts so much that he does not understand the world or his scheduled Nov. 9 execution.

"I want to object verbally to everything this attorney is saying," Greene interrupted.

A forensic psychologist, Dr. Dale G. Watson, told the board he has never seen anyone as delusional as Greene.

"I believe him to be psychotic," Watson said. "His pain could be a physical hallucination."

Dr. Watson explained he examined Greene first in 2009. When he returned to Arkansas for further examinations in 2011 and 2015, Greene refused to see him.

The next time they saw each other was at a competency hearing when Dr. Watson said Greene was "doing headstands literally in court."

Greene also interrupted Dr. Watson, calling him a "nut doctor." He argued he has never received the proper medical treatment for his sharp ear pain and brain and back injuries.

"I have been tortured nearly to death," he said. "It's by the grace of God and sheer will that I've lived this long."

Greene was sentenced to death for the murder of 69-year-old Sidney Burnett, a husband, father, WWII Air Force veteran and preacher from Johnson County.

"I knew what I was doing to him," he said. "I couldn't stand what I was doing to him. And I put the gun to his head and killed him."

"He brutally murdered my father," Carolyn Walker, who came in from Indiana, told the parole board Wednesday afternoon. "He shot him, stabbed him and cut him from his mouth to his ear. Jack Greene has no integrity, no morals, no respect for life and no remorse."

Prosecuting Attorney David Gibbons said Greene inflicted injury on Burnett for the sole purpose of torture and mental anguish.

"I am not opposed to the death penalty," Gibbons told the board. "But I think it should be reserved for the worst of the worst. This case presents the worst of the worst."

Burnett's daughters said their dad gave Greene money, a job, even a place to stay.

"He treated him like family," said Irene Burton. "Dad gave him life. What did he give my dad?"

Their torture continues 26 years later.

"This really hits me today," said Linda Miller, who came in from Michigan. "It hits me because I am now the age that my dad was when he was cruelly taken away from us. It invaded our emotions, our souls and stole more from us than you could even imagine. I still weep when I think of the torture dad was put through and I wonder what his thoughts were, what his last words were. I will not know. I'll never know."

An act of murder Burnett's daughters will never blame on Greene's mental state.

"Jack is doing this because he fears death," Burton said. "I believe that with my whole heart. I don't believe he's mental. He, to me, his whole life has manipulated people. If he could not get his way, he took revenge. He threw a fit like a little child."

Burton read a message to Greene from her mother, Edna:

"I hope Jack repents so that he doesn't burn in Hell. He needs to be dead so this never happens again. No one, not our family or even Donna Johnson, his girlfriend, can find peace until he is dead."

"These are good, God-fearing Christian people," Greene said. "None of this should have ever happened. What I did was horrible. What I did to Mr. Burnett was horrible. What I did to my own brother was horrible, too."

Greene also killed his brother in North Carolina before moving to Arkansas.

"It wasn't out of hate but hurt," he told the board. "I swore upon my mother's grave that I would kill Tommy and anyone else for letting her die."

The parole board asked him if he wants clemency.

For Greene, it came down to two options. If he can go back to a North Carolina prison for medical treatment, he will take clemency. If not, he will see them Nov. 9.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/...tion/826084712

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information