Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mickey David Thomas, Jr. - Arkansas Death Row

Mickey David Thomas, Jr. - Arkansas Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Thomas went on a crime spree in Oklahoma and Arkansas which included the murders of Mona Shelton and Donna Cary in Arkansas on June 14, 2004. Thomas shot Shelton and Cary execution style while robbing a monument store. Thomas then stole a car at gunpoint and was apprehended after a police chase. Thomas was also charged in Oklahoma with the murder of Geraldine Jones, which occurred during a home invasion robbery. Thomas’ criminal history included kidnapping and robbery convictions. Thomas had served nine years in prison and was released from prison a year before murdering Shelton and Cary.

Thomas was sentenced to death on September 28, 2005.

September 30, 2007

Arkansas Supreme Court upholds Thomas death sentences

DURANT - A man charged with robbery and rape in Durant almost three years ago is facing the death penalty in Arkansas for murders he committed there after leaving Durant.

A high court in Little Rock upheld two death sentences Thursday for Mickey David Thomas, 32, convicted in the 2004 slayings of two women at a DeQueen gravestone monument company, according to an Associated Press Writer report.

The court dismissed Thomas' claims of racial discrimination in the case.

On June 14, 2004, police found the bodies of two women at Cornerstone Monument Co. Both victims had been shot in the head. Thomas was captured in Broken Bow and officers found purses in his car that belonged to the women, according to court papers. He also is charged with committing first-degree murder in Broken Bow.

Thomas had been in Durant five days earlier where he robbed a woman at a business on West Main Street, according to Durant Police. He also was accused of fondling her and was charged with robbery by force or fear and rape by instrumentation.

The victim told Durant Police that during the assault, she told the robber,“In the name of Jesus Christ, I rebuke you.”

Patricia Ann Conradi, 26, was also charged with robbery because she was with Thomas at the time of the Durant robbery, according to police and court papers. Authorities said Thomas and Conradi came to Durant to visit Thomas' sister, who was attending SOSU.

Conradi failed to appear for a jury trial in April 2005, and a warrant remains for her arrest. Thomas also has a warrant for his arrest on the Durant charge, although there has been no action on the case since the charge was filed almost three years ago. Action on the local case against Thomas is not likely due to his death sentence.

Thomas is being held in a “supermax” prison in Varner, Ark.

Inmate Personal Information

DOB: 09/25/1974
    Race: Black

Crime and Trial Information

* County of conviction: Pike
    * Number of counts: Two
    * Race of Victims: White
    * Gender of Victims: Female/Female
    * Date of crime: 06/14/2004
    * Date of Sentencing: 09/28 (29?)/2005

Legal Status

Current proceedings:
    Post‐conviction case (No. CR 10‐545) filed in
    Ark. Supreme Court on 5/26/2010

Attorney

Jeffrey Harrelson

Court Opinions

Thomas v. State, 257 S.W.3d 92 (Ark.), 552 U.S. 1025 (2007).

Legal Issues

On direct appeal:
    (1) whether the trial court violated defendant's constitutional rights by transferring case;
    (2) whether the claim that court transferred trial to county with virtually no “non‐white” residents established prima facie case of violation of constitutional jury trial rights;
    (3) whether the victim impact evidence at sentencing phase was admissible;
    (4) whether counsel's alleged belief that his other scheduled trials would hamper the ability to render effective assistance of counsel entitled defendant to a continuance;
    (5) whether defendant demonstrated prejudice from court's refusal to allow continuance to allow him to obtain results of DNA tests on evidence; and
    (6) whether the word “probably” in model jury instruction regarding mitigating circumstances imposed any nonstatutory burden on defendant.

Death row inmate from Oklahoma seeks relief in Arkansas slayings

An Oklahoma man convicted in 2005 of killing two women at a De Queen cemetery monument company wants the Arkansas Supreme Court to grant him a new trial.

Death-row inmate Mickey Dale Thomas wants the high court to order a new proceeding on grounds that his lawyer should have objected to the trial being moved to another county and for not questioning a police lieutenant. Arguments before the Arkansas Supreme Court were set for Thursday.

Lawyers for the state argue the petition does not have merit.

The 39-year-old Broken Bow, Okla., man was convicted of killing 46-year-old Mona Lee Shelton and 45-year-old Donna Marie Cary.

Prosecutors in Oklahoma accused Thomas in the death of a Broken Bow woman, Geraldine Jones, who was killed two days before the De Queen slayings.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state...tml?mode=story
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Arkansas Supreme Court rejects appeals of Okla. man on Ark. death row for De Queen slayings

The Arkansas Supreme Court has rejected the appeal of an Oklahoma man convicted in 2005 of killing two women at a De Queen cemetery monument company.

The court on Thursday rejected the appeals of Mickey Dale Thomas in the 2004 deaths of 46-year-old Mona Lee Shelton and 45-year-old Donna Marie Cary.

Thomas had argued that his trial attorney should have called a police officer to testify that there was no indication of sexual assault of the victims and that his attorney should have objected to the trial being moved to Pike County.

Prosecutors in Oklahoma have alleged that Thomas killed a Broken Bow woman two days before Shelton and Cary were killed — but say there is no point in trying him considering his death sentence in Arkansas.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/sto.../#.UyuEFM6FhbE
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On March 20, 2014, Thomas filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ark...4cv06038/44088

On March 31, 2017, US District Court Judge Timothy Brooks (Obama) GRANTED Thomas' habeas petition and ordered that he either be sentenced to life imprisonment or that a new penalty hearing be conducted.

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...6038/44088/124

On May 22, 2020, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit REVERSED Judge Brooks' habeas grant and DENIED the rest of Thomas' appeal. The panel was made up of Judges Benton (G.W. Bush), Grasz (Trump) and Stras (Trump).

https://ecf.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/20/05/171833P.pdf

En banc rehearing denied October 15, 2020.

Final petition for writ of certiorari filed March 12, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....c\20-7480.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Final petition for writ of certiorari distributed for conference September 27, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-7480.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information