Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James A. Dennis - Pennsylvania

James A. Dennis - Pennsylvania

Summary of Offense:

On October 22, 1991, a young woman named Chedell Williams went to Fern Rock Station in Philadelphia to buy a transpass. She was approached by two men, one of whom demanded her earrings and shot her. These two men then raced to a getaway car, where a third accomplice sat in the driver's seat. By all accounts, the crime took place in mere seconds, and in those few seconds, Chedell tragically lost her life. She was only 17. Though three people were involved in this murder, Jimmy Dennis was the only person ever charged. He was convicted in 1992.

Dennis was sentenced to death in Philadelphia County on October 19, 1992.

On March 8, 2011, Dennis filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/pen...v01660/409788/

**Administrative Date**

Two convicted killers on Pennsylvania's death row are a step closer to lethal injection this afternoon after Gov. Corbett signed their execution warrants.

James A. Dennis, 40, of Philadelphia, is scheduled to be put to death on May 10. Dennis, convicted of first-degree murder, killed 17-year-old Chedell Williams in Oct. 1991 as she walked home from school. Prosecutors said Dennis grabbed the girl's earrings and then shot her.

Richard R. Laird, 47, of Bucks County, is scheduled to be executed on May 12. Laird, also convicted of first-degree murder, stabbed 26-year-old Anthony Milano to death after offering him a ride home from a tavern.

The warrants are the third and fourth signed by Corbett.

Former Gov. Rendell signed 119 death warrants during his eight years in office. Since 1978, when the death penalty was reinstated, Pennsylvania governors have signed 390. The last person to be executed was in 1999.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/117952789.html

I guess it is a good thing his sentence wasn't carried out in 2011.

Philadelphia Man On Death Row For 21 Years Wins New Trial

A federal judge says a Philadelphia man on death row for 21 years was convicted on “scant evidence,” and has overturned his conviction for killing a teen girl for her earrings.

Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody calls the case against James Dennis “a grave miscarriage of justice” and says authorities withheld evidence.

She has ordered Dennis to be released from prison unless prosecutors retry him within six months. A spokeswoman for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office says they are reviewing Wednesday’s ruling.

Brody says Dennis was convicted based on “shaky eyewitness identifications” to the 1991 shooting at a city transit stop, which killed 17-year-old Chedell Williams.

Appellate lawyer Ryan Guilds says two decades on death row have taken a toll on Dennis, but he says he now hopes to be reunited with his mother and two daughters.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ins-new-trial/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I get a good feeling when the system actually works. This man may not be "actually innocent," but certainly there are grave doubts as to his "legal guilt." I hope the truth comes out. Thanks for the update, Heidi.

On September 30, 2013, Dennis' case was appealed to the US Third Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...s/ca3/13-9003/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnya View Post
    I get a good feeling when the system actually works. This man may not be "actually innocent," but certainly there are grave doubts as to his "legal guilt." I hope the truth comes out. Thanks for the update, Heidi.
    I was just reading about this case on line and I get the feeling this man is innocent. Witness identification is notoriously wrong and the police withheld evidence.

Weidmann1939
    “a grave miscarriage of justice” and says authorities withheld evidence.
    Yadda! Yadda! We always hear this tired refrain about "a grave miscarriage of justice" "new evidence" or "authorities withheld evidence" but nary a word about what this supposed new or withheld evidence is. Then low and behold when the nattering nag is trotted out like some broken down old claiming horse to much hyper boil. It proves to be nothing more than 2 or 3 insipid puffs of smoke and juicy fizzle.
    Last edited by Weidmann1939; 01-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.

I haven't the foggiest clue whether Dennis is actually factually innocent but even the most hardened pro would struggle to argue that this wasn't a weak case already. I would go as far to say that this is probably the least strong death penalty case I've seen of any current death row inmate listed on this site. Here's a link to the judges ruling which is heavily worded to say the least.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/162174258

Weidmann1939
    The problem/question in this case as with so many cases like James A. Dennis is. Why has it taken 22 years for most if not all of this to come to light?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information