Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama Capital Punishment News

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    I just read on an article that all 51 inmates who chose nitrogen are at Holman, which means the 24 at William Donaldson and the 5 females all chose injection
    All inmates besides John Calhoun and the women are held at Holman. They don't hold them at Donaldson anymore.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this nobody knows who picked nitrogen outside of the dozen so names already. We don't know where they are, we don't know who they are. There is no list because Alabama themselves didn't record the names. They aren't ever going to use nitrogen anyway.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-01-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

That’s what you call an asinine corrections department. They can’t even list the names of the people who chose nitrogen gas all because they never recording the names.

It’s probably higher than the 51 people they said chose it. After all Jarrod Taylor is still on DR.Who knows how many other Jarrod Taylor’s are on Alabama’s DR?
    Last edited by Neil; 03-01-2021 at 03:57 PM.

what is the current status of them coming up with a protocol and equipment to execute with NG? It seems to me that this should be pretty easy.
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    I think they have not made any steps to prepare for executions with NG.

The William E. Donaldson Correctional Facility where Alabama death row inmates were once held has closed. The segregation unit is now open to general population. All 24 inmates were transferred from Donaldson death row to Holman death row where all executions are carried out. There are 168 inmates on Alabama death row as of May 3, 2021.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Alabama: Nearly Finished Building for Nitrogen Gas Executions

Alabama says it has nearly finished building a system to use nitrogen gas to carry out death sentences. Alabama told a federal judge on Tuesday that it has nearly finished construction to use nitrogen gas to carry out death sentences, an execution method authorized by state law but never put into use. The court filing did not describe how the proposed execution system would work. When the Alabama legislation was approved authorizing nitrogen hypoxia, proponents theorized that death by nitrogen hypoxia could be a simpler and more humane execution method. Death would be caused by forcing the inmate to breathe only nitrogen, thereby depriving him or her of oxygen.

Alabama in 2018 became the third state — along with Oklahoma and Mississippi — to authorize the untested use of nitrogen gas to execute prisoners.

Lawyers for the state wrote in a court filing Tuesday that the Alabama Department of Corrections “is nearing completion of the initial physical build for the nitrogen hypoxia system and its safety measures." Once the build is completed, a safety expert will make a site visit to evaluate the system and look for any points of concern that need to be addressed,” the lawyers added.

The information was disclosed in a court filing Tuesday involving a lawsuit over the presence of spiritual advisers in the death chamber. State lawyers wrote that they did not yet know if a spiritual advisers could safely be present during an execution via nitrogen hypoxia. The prison system declined to describe the proposed system. The Alabama Department of Corrections wrote in an email to The Associated Press that the, “nitrogen hypoxia execution protocol is still under development, and the physical building modifications to the execution chamber are still in process.”

“Due to the fact those two items are not yet in a finalized state and potential security concerns exist, that is all we are able to share at this time,” a department spokeswoman wrote.

The department of corrections did not give an estimate in the court filing on when the state might try to use nitrogen hypoxia. The prison system said it had not yet drafted a protocol for using nitrogen gas.

But lawyers for the state wrote in Tuesday's filing that a protocol would not be drawn up until authorities were satisfied the system was ready for use.

Alabama currently carries out executions by lethal injections unless an inmate requests the electric chair. As lethal injection drugs become difficult to obtain, states have begun looking at alternative ideas for carrying out death sentences including firing squads and gas.

No state has used nitrogen hypoxia to carry out an execution and no state has developed a protocol for its use, said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. He likened the planned first usage to human experimentation.

“It's almost by definition an experimental process,” Dunham said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ecution-system

Any bets on how long the legal challenges for this will take? I’m impressed Alabama got this far.

From what I’ve researched about nitrogen asphyxiation, it’s relatively painless and leads to unconsciousness within second. I’m sure there will be lawsuits even though the Alabama inmates chose that method
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Alabama says its built 'system' for nitrogen gas executions

By KIM CHANDLER
    The Associated Press

Alabama told a federal judge this week that it has finished construction of a “system” to use nitrogen gas to carry out death sentences, an execution method authorized by state law but never put into use.

The Alabama Department of Corrections indicated in an Aug. 2 court filing that it is waiting to make sure the nitrogen hypoxia system is ready, before writing procedures for how it will be used. The prison system did not describe how the system would work or give an estimate on when the state may try to use the new execution method.

“The ADOC has completed the initial physical build on the nitrogen hypoxia system. A safety expert has made a site visit to evaluate the system. As a result of the visit, the ADOC is considering additional health and safety measures,” a lawyer for the state attorney general's office wrote in the court filing.

Alabama in 2018 became the third state — along with Oklahoma and Mississippi — to authorize the untested use of nitrogen gas to execute prisoners.

Death would be caused by forcing the inmate to breathe only nitrogen, thereby depriving him or her of oxygen. Lawmakers theorized that death by nitrogen hypoxia could be a simpler and more humane execution method. But critics have likened the untested method to human experimentation.

No state has used nitrogen hypoxia to carry out an execution, and no state has developed a protocol for its use, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

The information of the construction was disclosed in a court filing involving a lawsuit over the presence of spiritual advisers in the death chamber. State lawyers wrote that they did not yet know if a spiritual advisers could safely be present during an execution via nitrogen hypoxia.

A prison system spokesman did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. The prison system has previously declined to describe the proposed system, citing security concerns.

Alabama currently carries out executions by lethal injections unless an inmate requests the electric chair. As lethal injection drugs become difficult to obtain, states have begun looking at alternative ideas for carrying out death sentences including firing squads and gas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...edgdhp&pc=U531
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    They should remove nitrogen from their statutes. Retroactively.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information