Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Alabama Capital Punishment News

The nitrogen method would consist of the death row inmate being strapped down to a chair, once administered can cause convulsions to blackouts, lack of oxygen to the brain and subsequent death within five minutes. If Attorney General Steve Marshall has his wish, it must be wholly approved by Governor Kay Ivey to allow the Alabama Department of Corrections to adopt the method of nitrogen. There is over a dozen inmates who asked for nitrogen over lethal injection. Refer to the Update on Alabama Death Row Inmate Status to determine which inmate has chosen their method.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

“After the nitrogen gas is introduced, it will be administered for 15 minutes or five minutes following a flatline indication on the EKG, whichever is longer,” the procedures stated.

https://wbhm.org/2023/alabama-descri...execution/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Oklahoma to continue lethal injections as Alabama eyes nitrogen gas executions

By Carmen Forman
    The Oklahoma Voice

Oklahoma prison officials are watching closely as Alabama attempts to become the first state to use nitrogen hypoxia to carry out an execution.

Steven Harpe, Department of Corrections director, said in an interview that he’s open to the alternate method, but he’d like to see nitrogen hypoxia used in a series of executions elsewhere before the state makes any changes.

“They’re going to have to go through it a lot before I’m going to be like, ‘Let’s go do it,’ because what we’re doing now we know works,” he said.

Harpe said he’s watching what happens in Alabama.

The Alabama Attorney General’s Office on Friday asked the state Supreme Court to allow a death row inmate to be executed by nitrogen hypoxia, which was authorized in 2018 but has never been used. Litigation is expected if Alabama is allowed to proceed with this new execution method.

Oklahoma is one of two other states that has authorized the execution method that involves putting inmates to death using pure nitrogen. The Oklahoma Department of Corrections has taken years to develop the protocols.

Proponents have suggested the untested execution method could be more humane because an inmate would pass out while breathing nitrogen and die from the lack of oxygen. Critics though have likened it to human experimentation.

Should the new execution method prove humane and effective, Harpe said nitrogen hypoxia could be a simpler option than administering the state’s three-drug lethal injection protocols.

“We care about that inmate’s experience,” Harpe said. “I want to make sure that’s as humane as possible for him, for his family, for the victim’s family, for everybody that has to witness that.

“If Alabama’s process, if they’re successful with it, and it becomes something that is medically proven to be better than what we’re doing, a one-drug protocol is easier to administer than a three-drug protocol.”

Oklahoma, though, is unlikely to change its capital punishment protocols anytime soon. Barring a change in state law, nitrogen hypoxia can only be used if the state’s primary execution method — lethal injection — is no longer an option.

Oklahoma in 2015 became the first state to authorize nitrogen hypoxia. Mississippi and Alabama followed suit.

The change in Oklahoma followed a 2014 botched execution in which death row inmate Clayton Lockett writhed and moaned before being declared dead 43 minutes after the lethal injection process began.

In 2015, Oklahoma carried out an execution using a lethal injection drug that was not approved under state protocols. A second execution was postponed when prison officials discovered they once again had an unapproved drug.

In 2018, then-Attorney General Mike Hunter and former Corrections Director Joe Allbaugh announced the state planned to use nitrogen hypoxia for executions amid difficulty obtaining lethal injection drugs. That change never came to fruition.

Oklahoma resumed executions in 2021 after a six-year moratorium.

State law also allows for executions by electric chair or firing squad if other methods are unavailable.

https://www.kosu.org/news/2023-08-31...gas-executions
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Anti-DP activists are claiming that gas will be a hazard to the spiritual advisors.

https://www.jurist.org/commentary/20...gen-gas-risks/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    I thought the procedure involved putting a mask over their face? Nitrogen isn't toxic should it leak out, it just kills by displacing oxygen. Should be moot since they can opt for LI.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread Information