Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama Capital Punishment News

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    To hell with streamlining appeals, can they just get rid of that god awful caveat that allows inmates to elect for execution by gas when they don't even have a protocol for it?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Was this Alabama or Arizona?

Alabama mayor candidate calls for public hangings for drug dealers with 3 convictions

A special education teacher running for mayor in a city in Alabama is proposing public hangings for drug dealers with multiple convictions.

Michael Ray James, who’s a mayoral candidate for Sylacauga, has called for public hangings for drug dealers who have been convicted three times.

“Please consider that Drug Dealers have murdered, for profit, approximately 1,000,000 teenagers, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, aunts and uncles in a short 20 year period,” James wrote in a Facebook post on May 13.

“Yes, I’m very aware public hanging is extreme and totally not possible without Federal Approvals and not from city or state officials. Extreme yes, but definitely brings attention to this scourge on Sylacauga, Alabama and the United States of America.”

Some disagreed with James’ proposal on social media.

“A public hanging of any sorts isn’t the proper position anyone, yet alone a someone running for public office should endorse in any way...,” one Facebook user wrote in response. “You know the statement has racist undertones all over it, but you’re smart enough to phrase it in a way for spin purposes.”

“I understand their position,” James said an interview with AL.com.

“It’s just a difference of opinion. I think everybody has an opinion and that’s OK. I am serious about, after somebody has been convicted three times, I am very serious about them losing their life, whether it’s to lethal injection or hanging.”

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/natio...242960286.html
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Well this guy is pretty based. I don't want public carnivals for the death penalty, but drug trafficking and certain other insidious crimes other than murder should be subject to capital punishment. Obviously this can never materialize, but the guy's heart is in the right place.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Muslims’ religious rights violated by Alabama death row policy, imam claims in suit

By Melissa Brown
    The Montgomery Adviser

A Mobile imam is suing the Alabama Department of Corrections, arguing the state's spiritual adviser policy during executions violates federal and state laws on religious freedom.

Yusef Maisonet filed his federal lawsuit on Thursday, two years after a fight over his presence in Alabama's execution chamber reached the highest court in the nation. Maisonet argues that ADOC's reliance on a staff spiritual adviser, who is a Protestant Christian, violates the religious freedoms of Muslim death row inmates.

"For decades Alabama has provided a Christian chaplain to tend to people’s needs in the execution chamber. And when it first arose that a Muslim requested an imam, the state of Alabama balked at it, opposed it, and litigated it all the way to the Supreme Court," said Council on American-Islamic Relations senior attorney Gadeir Abbas. "This case is about the religious liberty of all people."

For years, ADOC allowed a Christian prison chaplain inside the state execution chamber, praying with condemned prisoners in the execution chamber if they wished and standing at the foot of the gurney in full view of the prisoner as execution drugs were administered.

In 2019, Islamic convert Domineque Ray requested his spiritual adviser, Maisonet, be present instead. The prison warden in charge of executions denied the request. Ray filed a stay of execution challenging the policy, arguing he should have the same access to his spiritual adviser in the moments before his death as Christian inmates do.

In response, the state altered the execution protocol altogether, removing the prison chaplain from the chamber. State attorneys argued that allowing a non-staff spiritual adviser into the execution chamber would be a security risk.

Court documents in a separate, ongoing case indicate Alabama prison staff, including the chaplain, train in "execution rehearsals." The state argues it couldn't guarantee volunteer spiritual advisers "would follow orders or would be mentally prepared to watch the condemned die and do nothing to stop it."

The Atlanta-based 11th Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Ray, staying his execution and ruling it was "substantially likely" that Alabama had violated his constitutional rights. But the U.S. Supreme Court narrowly reversed the ruling, and Ray was ultimately executed.

Ray's case set off unusual public feuding among Supreme Court judges, both CNN and the Associated Press reported, and the majority opinion, split along conservative and liberal lines. It also sparked ire among some conservative Christian leaders. Weeks later, the high court abruptly stayed the execution of a Texas inmate making similar arguments over the presence of his Buddhist spiritual adviser.

Imam Wali Rahman, a previous adviser to Holman's Muslim inmates, said in 2019 Muslim leaders work on a volunteer basis, sometimes driving from Mobile twice a week on their own dime, while the Christian chaplain is an ADOC employee on state payroll.

"We're going to hear cases like this again," Rahman said. "There should be a staffed imam that inmates have access to equally as inmates have access to a Christian chaplain. We respect Christian rights as to how their inmates want to die. The state is not giving all equality."

Alabama is currently fighting a similar religious freedom lawsuit from a third death row inmate, Charles Burton. A federal judge is currently considering a request for summary judgment in the case ahead of a scheduled May jury trial.

https://eu.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...it/4379450001/

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    I think Alabama is a little different from Texas in that the Texas chaplains are specific to a sect, whereas in Alabama there is one chaplain on staff to co-ordinate the various volunteers serving the various faiths. The Alabama chaplain is a Protestant Christian, but he could be of any sect and still be capable for the job, as he is responsible for the spiritual needs of all prisoners, not just the Protestant Christians, and should be expected to prepare appropriately as needed.

Alabama House passes Aniah's Law; bills head to the Alabama Senate

A bill named after a Southern Union student who was kidnapped and killed in 2019 is headed to the Alabama Senate.

The Alabama House of Representatives passed HB131 in a 102-0 vote and HB130 in a 101-0 vote Tuesday afternoon to move Aniah’s Law to the Alabama Senate at a later date.

Named after Aniah Blanchard, Aniah’s Law consists of two measures: HB131, a constitutional amendment giving judges the power to deny bail for 13 first-degree felonies, and HB130, full list of these charges. As Alabama law stands, bond can only be denied in cases of capital murder.

The man charged with capital murder in Blanchard’s death, Ibraheem Yazeed, was out on bond when police say he kidnapped and murdered Blanchard in October 2019.

Yazeed is charged with two counts of capital murder in connection with the kidnapping and death of Blanchard. He was originally charged with first-degree kidnapping after an investigation revealed that Yazeed forced Blanchard into her own vehicle against her will, according to previous reports.

Blanchard’s remains were not located until Nov. 25, 2019, in the 38000 block of County Road 2 in Shorter.

Yazeed is charged with two counts of capital murder: capital murder - kidnapping and capital murder - using a deadly weapon while the victim is inside a vehicle. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. He is being held in the Lee County Jail without bond.

Rep. Chip Brown of Mobile is the sponsor of both bills. A similar bill, HB81, was unanimously approved by the House last March, but COVID-19 halted the 2020 Regular Session before the Senate could vote.

“This touches home because this is home,” co-sponsor Joe Lovvorn of Lee County said Tuesday on the House floor.

Currently, Section 16 of the 1901 Alabama constitution allows bail for all persons “except for capital offenses, when the proof is evident or the presumption great.”

Both companion bills are constitutional amendments and would go to the ballot box via referendum if passed by the legislature.

Aniah’s Law would amend to section to read “If no conditions of release can reasonably protect the community from risk of physical harm to the accused, the public, or both, ensure the presence of the accused at trial, or ensure the integrity of the judicial process, the accused may be detained without bail. Excessive bail shall not in any case be imposed or required.”

https://oanow.com/news/local/govt-an...f52e71487.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

I just read on an article that all 51 inmates who chose nitrogen are at Holman, which means the 24 at William Donaldson and the 5 females all chose injection
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Is the corrections department stupid? Where’s the nitrogen gas list they have? It’s been 3 years. I’m surprised they don’t have a list ready by now. They should give the names out not just 51 people chose it. We know a whole 8 or nine that chose it.
    Last edited by Neil; 03-01-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    I just read on an article that all 51 inmates who chose nitrogen are at Holman, which means the 24 at William Donaldson and the 5 females all chose injection
    Do we have a list of inmates currently at William Donaldson?

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information