Thread: Jonathan Wayne Goforth - Kentucky Death Row

Jonathan Wayne Goforth - Kentucky Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Was sentenced to death on March 24, 2000 in Fayette County for murder, robbery I, burglary I, arson II and tampering with physical evidence. On March 15, 1998, Goforth and accomplice Virginia Caudill entered the home of 73-year-old Lonetta White, beat her to death and then burglarized her home. They then placed her body in the trunk of her own vehicle and drove her to a rural area in Fayette County and set the car on fire.

Caudill was also sentenced to death. For more on Caudill, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...hlight=caudill

April 23, 2009

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- The Kentucky Supreme Court has upheld the convictions of three death row inmates, including the state's only woman sentenced to death.

The court on Thursday upheld the murder convictions of Virginia Caudill, Jonathan Wayne Goforth and Robert Foley.

Caudill and Goforth were convicted of the 1998 killing of 73-year-old Lonetta White. The two were convicted of bludgeoning her to death with a hammer. White's body was then put in the trunk of her own car, which was set ablaze.

Foley is a former FBI informant convicted of six killings in eastern Kentucky. He was sentenced to death in 1993 for killing Rodney and Lynn Vaughn during a dispute at his home.

http://www.wlky.com/news/19260647/detail.html

April 24, 2009

Bowling sentence upheld in Laurel murders

FRANKFORT (AP) — The Kentucky Supreme Court upheld the convictions of three death row inmates on Thursday, including the state’s only woman sentenced to death.

The court upheld the murder convictions of Virginia Caudill, Johnathan Wayne Goforth and Robert Foley.

Caudill and Goforth were convicted of killing 73-year-old Lonetta White in 1998 by bludgeoning her to death with a hammer. White’s body was then put in the trunk of her own car, which was set ablaze. Foley is a former FBI informant convicted of six killings in eastern Kentucky. He was sentenced to death in 1993 for killing Rodney and Lynn Vaughn during a dispute at his home.

Both Caudill and Goforth argued they had ineffective attorneys during their trial, which resulted in both being convicted of murder, robbery, burglary, arson and evidence tampering. Both inmates lost a previous appeal before the state supreme court.

Among other things, Caudill claimed she had an ineffective trial attorney. Caudill claimed an expert witness should have been called in on her behalf to rebut the testimony of a Kentucky State Police forensic examiner who studied blood spatter on her shoes.

The justices ruled there was no evidence in Caudill’s case that additional expert testimony would have changed the outcome.

Currently, there are 36 inmates on Kentucky’s death row. Caudill, 48, is the only woman.

Dennis Burke, one of Caudill’s public defenders, said he intends to ask the court for a rehearing and ask it to reconsider the decision.

“We are disappointed,” Burke said.

Goforth had argued, among other things, that his trial attorney made a mistake by not cross-examining Caudill.

Amy Robinson Staples, who is representing Goforth, declined to comment on the court’s decision because she had not yet reviewed it.

Allison Martin, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Jack Conway, declined to comment on the cases.

Foley had argued his trial attorney did not properly present his motion to change the venue of his case. The court disagreed.

Foley is on Kentucky’s death row for more killings than any other condemned inmate. He was sentenced to death for killing 6 people: brothers Rodney and Lynn Vaughn, Kimberly Bowersock, Lillian Contino, Jerry McMillen and Calvin Reynolds.

Meanwhile, the court also denied a petition for rehearing filed by Ronnie Lee Bowling.

The court upheld Bowling’s death sentence last year despite an FBI analysis that “overstated the significance” of some evidence presented at his trial. Bowling was convicted partially on the basis of an FBI bullet analysis that linked him to the murders of two Laurel County men in 1989.

Sentenced to death December 9, 1992 in Laurel County for the murder of two gas station attendants in two separate robberies. Bowling, from Clay County, Kentucky, shot and killed Ronald Smith, a London, Kentucky service station attendant during the early morning of January 20, 1989. Again, in the early morning of February 22, 1989 Marvin Hensley, a service station manager in London, Kentucky was robbed and killed. Bowling was arrested February 25, 1989.

http://www.clintonherald.com/thetime...114105719.html

On October 30, 2009, Goforth filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ken...cv00352/62210/

Habeas petition denied by the federal district court on 3/27/2023.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ke...9cv00352/62210
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On 9/14/23, Goforth filed an appeal to the Sixth Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...ts/ca6/23-5826
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information