Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Eugene Matthews - Kentucky Death Row

I was just going to post "what a total smackdown!". I love some of the "smack" statements such as: "based on the flimsiest of rationales", "The Sixth Circuit cited no precedent of this Court", "The Sixth Circuit also erred by consulting its own precedents, rather than those of this Court", "As we explained in correcting an identical error by the Sixth Circuit two Terms ago", "To make matters worse, the Sixth Circuit decided......" YIKES! If I was a member of the 6th circuit I probably would have peed my pants and hid in a closet for a while.
    Last edited by MRBAM; 06-11-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added more smacks!

On October 14, 2012, Matthews filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court. I'm really not sure why since his case had been remanded by the US Supreme Court to the US Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ken...cv00663/83007/

Ky death row inmate loses bid for funds for test

A federal judge has rejected a request from a Kentucky death row inmate for funds to pay for a MRI to be used with an expected clemency petition.

U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II on Friday concluded that pursuing clemency from the state is not a proper use of federal funds. The decision turned away 64-year-old David Eugene Matthews as he prepares to ask Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear to spare his life.

Matthews was condemned for the murder of his estranged wife, Mary "Marlene" Matthews, and mother-in-law, Magdalene Cruse, in Louisville on June 29, 1981.

The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Matthews' death sentence in 2011. The U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death sentence in 2012.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Ky-...212734841.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On July 10, 2013, Matthews filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...s/ca6/13-5901/

Two condemned inmates in KY seek mental exam funds

Two Kentucky death row inmates asked a federal appeals court to grant them funding for neuropsychological testing they hope will hold off their executions.

Condemned inmates Robert Foley and David Eugene Matthews have each filed cases with the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati. Both men want the higher court to overturn decisions by federal judges in Kentucky denying the men funds for the mental health tests.

In both cases, the inmates are seeking the tests to use as part of a clemency bid should an execution date be set.

Matthews, 65, will get to make the first request. The appeals court has set a Dec. 2 deadline for his attorneys to file a brief. Prosecutors will have until Feb. 3 to respond. Matthews' case will be decided sometime in the spring or summer of 2014.

The court has not yet set filing deadlines for Foley, 57.

Matthews, the second-longest serving inmate on Kentucky's death row, was condemned for killing his estranged wife, Mary "Marlene" Matthews, and mother-in-law, Magdalene Cruse, in Louisville on June 29, 1981.

Foley is awaiting execution for the 1991 slayings of Rodney and Lynn Vaughn after a dispute in Laurel County. Foley, a former FBI informant, is also on death row for four other slayings.

Both inmates were turned down earlier this year in their quests for funds for mental test to bolster clemency bids.

Foley sought funds for a neuropsychologist, saying he has an extensive history of head trauma, but he lacks a formal diagnosis of a neuropsychological disorder or condition. Specifically, Foley's attorneys cite a 1991 car wreck in which Foley's car flipped over and threw him from the front seat to the back seat, and an incident later that year in which Foley's legs went numb while he tried to push a car.

Foley contends such an expert could determine if that trauma has affected his behavior — a finding that could affect whether the governor grants him clemency, Reeves wrote.

U.S. District Judge Danny C. Reeves concluded that Foley's legal and mental history showed no signs of any adverse impact from head injuries or mental shortcomings.

Matthews made a similar argument to U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II, who rejected the request, writing that Matthews had an opportunity over the last 30 years to litigate his claims.

Both appeals are being pursued as Kentucky seeks to restart executions for the first time since 2008. Kentucky switched from using three drugs to carry out a lethal injection to a method that uses 3 grams of sodium thiopental or 5 grams of pentobarbital — similar to the method used by Ohio. If those drugs are not available within seven days of an execution date, the state may use a two-drug method involving continued injections of 60 milligrams of a combination of Midazolam and hydromorphone.

Franklin Circuit Judge Phillip Shepherd has been reviewing the method since a hearing in March, but has yet to rule.

Kentucky has executed three inmates since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1976, with the last execution being carried out in 2008. At least two and as many as seven inmates are at or near the end of their appeals.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/2...ds-4939906.php

David Matthews v. Randy White

In today's opinions, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals VACATED the district court's judgement denying Matthews federal funding for a neuropsychological evaluation and REMANDED the case for further proceedings.

On May 22, 2023, Matthews filed an appeal to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...ts/ca6/23-5471
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Appeal denied by the Sixth Circuit on November 14, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...certiorari.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information