Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Arkansas Capital Punishment News

Member Newbie
    Follow South Carolina's lead. The legislature can craft a bill to add firing squad and electrocution as methods of execution. They left lethal injection as default method. If it is not available then the inmate can, but doesn't have to, select one of the two other methods to be executed. The SC Bill was approved by the House and is now in the Senate. If the Senate approves the bill, then Governor McMaster has said he will sign it. We won't have to worry about obtaining drugs. No shortage of ammo here.

On April 30, 2021, All Arkansas death row inmates filed an appeal to the Eighth Circuit

Plaintiff: Kenneth Dewayne Williams, Marcel Wayne Williams, Jack Harold Jones, Jr., Ledell Lee and Jason Farrell McGehee

Intervenor Plaintiff: Zachariah Marcyniuk, Brandon E. Lacy, Andrew Sasser, Kenneth Isom, Justin Anderson, Ray Dansby, Thomas Springs, Alvin Bernal Jackson, Roderick Leshun Rankin, Timothy Wayne Kemp, Gregory DeCay, Mickey Thomas and LaTavious Johnson

Plaintiff/Appellant: Terrick Terrell Nooner, Bruce Earl Ward, Don William Davis and Stacey Eugene Johnson

Defendant/Appellee: Dexter Payne, Director, Arkansas Division of Correction and Asa Hutchinson, Governor of the State of Arkansas

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...ts/ca8/21-1965
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Today the 8th Circuit upheld the state's execution method and drug combo.

https://arktimes.com/wp-content/uplo...8thcircuit.pdf
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

The panel was made up of Judges Colloton (G.W. Bush), Kelly (Obama) and Cobes (Trump).

https://arktimes.com/wp-content/uplo...8thcircuit.pdf

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    With election looming and no drug supply, future of death penalty in Arkansas is uncertain

By Hunter Field
    The Louisiana Illuminator

Arkansas is actively searching for a new supply of lethal injection drugs, and the next governor will likely decide whether to use them.

What that means is unclear with an election still months away and a hodgepodge of positions on capital punishment.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this month upheld Arkansas’ execution protocol, but that decision has no immediate impact because the state Department of Corrections doesn’t have a supply of hard-to-find drugs used in Arkansas’ three-drug execution method.

The state has struggled to obtain the drugs since 2018 when its supply of vecuronium bromide expired.

Arkansas hasn’t executed anyone since 2017, when four inmates were put to death in quick succession before the state’s current supply of midazolam — the first of the three drugs used in the state’s execution protocol — expired. (Four others scheduled to die before the expiration had their lives spared by the courts.)

Corrections spokeswoman Cindy Murphy said the agency is actively searching for more drugs, but she declined to say which drugs the state lacks.

Most information about death penalty drugs remains secret under state law in Arkansas and the other 26 states where capital punishment remains legal, said Ngozi Ndulue, deputy director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

While secrecy abounds, Ndulue said common sense tells you some states are still able to find the drugs, despite opposition from drug manufacturers. Oklahoma, she noted, executed a man just last week.

“These drugs have expiration dates, so assuming that states are actually abiding by the expiration, knowing that states have recently conducted executions means that they have recently been able to acquire the drugs to conduct them,” she said.

Through a spokeswoman, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said he wasn’t surprised by the 8th Circuit’s ruling, but he didn’t expect to take any action due to the lack of drug supply.

The candidates

Two of Arkansas’ gubernatorial candidates — Democrat Chris Jones and Libertarian Ricky Dale Harrington Jr. — oppose the death penalty, though it’s not clear what their opposition would mean for capital punishment in Arkansas if elected.

The frontrunner, Republican Sarah Huckabee Sanders, hasn’t taken a public position on the issue, and her campaign didn’t respond to questions for this story.

Her father, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, oversaw 16 executions and commuted the death sentence of a man.

In her memoir, Sanders remembers the toll the death penalty took on her father when he was in office. She was asked if she’d allow executions to continue if elected in an interview with PBS before announcing her bid for governor.

She said she’d take it on a case-by-case basis.

“Certainly, I think that we have to make a determination of what is just in those moments, and I don’t take that lightly,” Sanders said in the interview. “I think that if there is a way to provide grace and redemption for people we should look for that. But at the same time, we have to remain a country of law and order, and so I would have to look at the individual cases and moments before I could make a hypothetical decision on something.”

Jones said last week that he opposes the death penalty in large part due to the way it’s carried out, disproportionately affecting people of color and the poor.

Asked if he would schedule executions or commute death sentences if elected, Jones alluded to Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller, Arkansas’ first Republican governor since Reconstruction and staunch opponent of the death penalty who commuted the sentences of all 15 men on Arkansas’ death row before leaving office in 1971.

“With every death sentence judgment there are families yearning for and deserving of justice,” Jones said. “We know that the courts, juries and sentencing are all done by humans, and therefore are prone to mistakes at times. However, in the case of capital punishment, there is no reversing an execution to end someone’s life. Once it’s done, it’s done.

“I reflect back on Governor Rockefeller who said there would be no executions during his tenure. That’s what I’m looking at very closely. It is important to bring justice to families and make sure those who commit the worst of crimes are held accountable. At the same time, I appreciate and respect Gov. Rockefeller’s very difficult decision and how he followed through.”

Harrington, who has been a prison chaplain for death row inmates and victims’ families, believes Arkansas should abolish the death penalty, according to his website. His campaign didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Supply shortage

Arkansas and other states have struggled to purchase lethal injection drugs due to manufacturers’ opposition to their products being used in executions.

Other states, like Texas, have turned to compounding pharmacies to make the drugs in-house. State officials have said that using a compound pharmacy is an option in Arkansas.

Arkansas is one of a dwindling number of states that uses a combination of drugs to execute inmates.

Arkansas’ lethal injection law

Under the protocol, prison officials first administer the sedative midazolam, followed by vecuronium bromide to induce paralysis and a heart-stopping dose of potassium chloride.

Other states and the federal government use a single barbiturate, like pentobarbital, rather than a three-drug protocol. The use of a barbiturate is legal for executions in Arkansas, but state officials have been hesitant to change the lethal injection policy, in part, because it would invite additional legal challenges.

Advocates and death penalty attorneys argue that midazolam is harmful and tied to several problematic executions, including in Arkansas in 2017.

When convicted murder Kenneth Williams was executed near Grady, an Associated Press reporter who witnessed it said he “lurched forward” about 20 times as the midazolam took effect.

Government officials described Williams’ movements as “involuntary muscular” reactions.

In Arkansas, there are currently 30 prisoners on death row.

https://lailluminator.com/2022/08/29...-is-uncertain/

En banc rehearing denied November 14, 2022 by the Eight Circuit on the prisoners' challenge to the state's lethal injection protocol.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...0-%20Final.pdf

Petition for a writ of certiorari over the execution drug lawsuit filed April 13, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....c\22-7305.html

The petition over the drug lawsuit was denied on June 26, 2023.

It's currently unknown what that state has been doing since this denial.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....c\22-7305.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Maybe they’re trying to get the drugs to perform executions. Not easy nowadays with all the anti-death penalty pharmaceutical companies throwing tantrums.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread Information