Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Capital Punishment News

Georgia will be the next domino to fall, and unlike Virginia will actually cost us executions. That said, it won't be via legislation because, as I said earlier, the state legislature is in no imminent danger of flipping. But a democratic governor could, if they inherit enough vacancies during their tenure, appoint abolitionists to the parole board.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

The problem facing the death penalty in Georgia is not related to democratic governors and mass commutations. The problem is that Georgia doesn't issue death sentences anymore. The backlog of cases will clear quickly because most inmates are towards the end of the appeals process but once they are gone, executions will plummet because there will be barely anyone left. Eventually the row will shrink to the point where the death penalty becomes basically irrelevant and the abolition is then pretty much inevitable. Georgia and several other states are just a few years behind where Virginia is now. Its like a fire eventually dying out because it has nothing left to burn.

That’s true to a point JLR but what about States like Alabama, Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Louisiana, and Arizona? You can’t say juries aren’t sentencing anyone to death in those states. Ohio is facing politicians unwilling to carry out the death penalty and now faces a mass commutation problem from DeWine and Ohio has been sentencing a fair amount of people to the row. California keeps sending people to DR as well as Arizona and Florida. California and Ohio as well as the federal death row now have mass commutation problems. Arizona, Louisiana, and North Carolina have politicians that are not willing to execute they have a large death row. Oklahoma, Missouri, and Georgia are heading the way of the Virginia in terms of sentencing and population but only Georgia will see abolition. The point for Georgia like you said is to execute what’s left on their death row but can another Republican win there next year to execute the remaining people that have been on DR since the mid 2000s to around the 2014 when their last death sentence was handed down? Or will Stacey Abrams come in and starve that off? That’ll cost us around 20 or so executions if she took over.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-07-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Louisiana and North Carolina don’t have access to lethal injection drugs after the ban of sodium theripol. They literally can’t perform executions
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

They have politicians that don’t want to execute. Their legislatures are not at at all concerned with Death Row. Both Roy Cooper and John Edwards don’t care to execute anyone. Arizona doesn’t have a drug problem nor a sentencing problem nor a small DR problem. Politicians don’t care in those states to execute anyone.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-07-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Georgia’s COVID-19 state of emergency has been extended to March 9, 2021. That means no executions for at least another month.

https://www.gasupreme.us/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Once the state of emergeny is over, Georgia will have a much bigger wave than 2016.

Currently, 10 death row inmates have already been denied by the 11th Circuit. Additionally, 5 inmates have appeals pending before the 11th Circuit and at least 2 have been denied by the federal district court. If they have enough drugs, they will probably execute 40% of their death row population until the 2022 election.

State high court considers burden of proof for intellectual disability

Georgia’s Supreme Court justices on Tuesday grappled with an unsettling quandary: What to do with the state law banning the execution of intellectually disabled prisoners when the law’s onerous burden of proof almost certainly allows it to happen.

During oral arguments, a lawyer representing death row inmate Rodney Young asked the court to strike down that proof hurdle as unconstitutional.

“This court has before it a clear showing that it is not merely an unacceptable risk created by this standard of proof but a near certainty that persons with intellectual disability will be executed,” said Josh Moore of the state capital defender’s office.

Newton County District Attorney Randy McGinley disagreed. “There are other procedural safeguards that reduce any sort of idea there is an excessive risk,” he said, although he struggled to give examples at the justices’ urging.

At issue is the law’s requirement that capital defendants prove they are intellectually disabled beyond a reasonable doubt, the same high hurdle for proving guilt at trial. Georgia is the only death-penalty state in the country with such a burden of proof. Most others allow defendants to prove intellectual disability by a preponderance of the evidence — or that it’s more likely than not they are.

Young sits on death row for the March 30, 2008, murder of Gary Lamar Jones. Wielding a hammer and a kitchen knife, Young killed the former amateur boxer and corrections officer in Jones’ Covington home.

Lawyers for Young, who was classified as “educable mentally retarded” at school, tried but failed to convince the jury he was intellectually disabled at trial in 2012.

In 2002, the U.S. Supreme Court held it was unconstitutional to execute the mentally retarded nationwide. Nine years later, the Georgia Supreme Court upheld a challenge to the state’s law — and its beyond a reasonable doubt standard — in the capital case against Alfonso Stripling.

But on Tuesday some justices acknowledged that more recent U.S. Supreme Court opinions striking down intellectual disability standards in Texas and Florida require them to look at Georgia’s law in a different light.

Justice Nels Peterson said that while the U.S. Supreme Court’s decisions did not address a burden of proof, such as beyond a reasonable doubt, “they certainly undermined the analytical heft” of the Georgia court’s decision in Stripling’s case.

“They both say that they are meant to address the creation of an unacceptable risk that persons with intellectual disability will be executed,” Justice Charles Bethel said.

Bethel asked McGinley if there is a risk that ordinary people would believe a defendant is “probably,” “likely” or “most likely” intellectually disabled, while not believing it beyond a reasonable doubt?

“There’s always going to be a risk whatever the burden is,” the DA replied.

That’s not acceptable, Moore argued.

“The bottom line here … is that if the framework creates an unacceptable risk that persons with intellectual disability will be executed, it is unconstitutional,” Moore said. “That’s exactly what we’re dealing with.”

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...KYLHJHX7QCKMQ/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Great, time to watch another state kneecap itself unnecessarily. Anyone want to take bets on the GA Supreme Court screwing everything up, allowing for the same buffoonery that article 11071 has brought about in TX, and opening the floodgates for redundant appeals from every fake "retard" on GA death row?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Junior Member Stranger
    I just read that the Governor of Georgia is letting the COVID State of Emergency order expire on July 1. I’m not sure if this means they will be able to restart executions or not.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information