Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Michael Kiser Addison - New Hampshire Death Row

Lawyers for both sides meet in case of New Hampshire's only death row inmate

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Lawyers involved with the case of the only person on death row in New Hampshire are working on details of what comes next in Michael Addison’s appeal process.

This came after the state Legislature voted to repeal the death penalty several months ago.

A closed-door status conference was held before a judge Monday in Concord.

While the hearing was mostly for scheduling, one legal analyst said the recent repeal of the death penalty could play a role as the case progresses.

“The Addison case has now become a one-off case. There’s only one person on death row in New Hampshire. It’s the last person ever on death row in New Hampshire,” Dr. Buzz Scherr of the University of New Hampshire School of Law said.

Addison has been on death row for almost 11 years for the murder of Manchester police officer Michael Briggs.

Scherr said on a practical level, Addison’s case is exempt from the repeal and its legal status should not change. But the Legislature’s move may have an indirect impact.

“Whatever judges the various versions of the case are going to get in front of from now on in the back of their minds, at least unconsciously, will be this is the last person in New Hampshire,” Scherr said.

Prosecutors said they do not expect any future court action at least at the superior court level for at least another year.

https://www.wmur.com/article/lawyers...nmate/29835315
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Sununu: I would never commute death sentence of cop killer

CONCORD, NH. (WCAX) - New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu says he would never commute the death sentence of a convicted cop killer, despite the fact that New Hampshire no longer has a death penalty.

The Republican governor was talking about Michael Addison who was sentenced to death in 2008 for killing a Manchester police officer. In a recent debate which aired on WMUR, both Democrats running for Governor, Dan Feltes and Andru Volinsky, said they would support commuting Addison’s sentence to life behind bars. Sununu was asked to respond at his Tuesday press conference.

“I heard that clip, I was quite shocked by it. And I think everybody in Manchester should be shocked by it. And, I think they are frankly. I think it sends the absolutely wrong message -- that when you have a convicted cop killer you are going to decide now that you might commute that sentence. It’s the wrong approach, it’s the wrong message, and I would never support it,” Sununu said,

The death penalty was abolished in the state last year. Sununu vetoed the bill repealing the death penalty but lawmakers had the votes to override it. Addison in the only person in New Hampshire on death row.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/09/02/sunu...of-cop-killer/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Addison filed a habeas petition in federal district court in November 2015 but since NH repealed the death penalty I guess it’s no longer a death penalty appeal.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ne...5cv00451/43300
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information