Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Ridgway "The Green River Killer"

Holy cow! You can’t fix stupid.

-Dawn

I’m not surprised. Cowardly Jay Inslee has a boner for murderers, since he is probably a closet one himself
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wait...what?? Seriously they were going to let this guy out??
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The best part? There's no term limit for governors in Washington. Inslee will run that state into the ground and probably get another Supreme Court pick before everything is all said and done. Although justices are elected there, the governor fills vacancies and 2 current justices will I believe reach the mandatory retirement age by 2026.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Were they going to give him home release or halfway house? Didn't expect them to start pulling things like this now, and not a decade or so down the road.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-29-2020 at 12:33 AM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

That’s progressivism for you. That’s the whole reason why a lot of these lockdowns were initiated. If this was 2004 or even 2010, non of these lockdown orders would’ve been a thing. The USA doesn’t operate like that. These governors now are prolonging the lockdowns forever.

Nobody is as bad as Michigan's tyrant in chief, and nobody is nearly as hybristophilic as Inslee. Never thought another state's governor would make me thankful for Jersey's sorry excuse for a governor, but here we are.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Murphy is still up there in terms of restrictions. Cuomo is not nearly as bad when it comes to that. He’s doing a regional reopening even still I can’t stand him. He’s a broken record on television for four hours straight. Other governors get on television and do a press briefing for 1 hour tops. He’s just trying to score political points. He’s never going to be President. I prefer the way DeSantis had it. He a had regional lockdown for a little bit before he shut the state down completely.

All of you have gone way off topic. Enough or I'm locking the thread.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Green River Killer’s youngest known victim identified through genetic genealogy

Genetic genealogy helped identify the youngest known victim of one of the nation’s most prolific serial killers almost 37 years after her remains were discovered near a baseball field south of Seattle.

Wendy Stephens was 14 and had run away from her home in Denver before Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, strangled her in 1983, the King County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday.

Ridgway terrorized the Seattle area in the 1980s, and since 2003, he has pleaded guilty to killing 49 women and girls. Four of the victims — including Stephens — had not been identified.

“Ridgway’s murderous spree left a trail of profound grief for so many families of murdered and missing women,” King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said in a written statement. “We are thankful that Wendy Stephens’ family will now have answers to their enormous loss suffered nearly 40 years ago.”

Researchers at the DNA Doe Project, a volunteer organization that uses publicly available DNA databases to find relatives of unidentified victims, helped make the identification.

Genetic genealogy has increasingly been used to track down unidentified criminal suspects and help solve scores of cold cases in recent years, some of them more than a half-century old or involving other serial killers. It unmasked the Golden State Killer, Joseph DeAngelo, who pleaded guilty to 13 murders and 13 rape-related charges that spanned much of California between 1975 and 1986.

Stephens’ remains were found in a wooded area next to a baseball field in what is now the suburb of SeaTac on March 21, 1984, after the groundskeeper’s dog came home with a leg bone. She had been killed a year or more earlier, investigators believe, and she is thought to have been Ridgway’s youngest victim.

The remains of another Ridgway victim, Cheryl Wims, were discovered at the same time.

Stephens’ family requested privacy and declined to speak with reporters, said Sgt. Tim Meyer, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office.

Cairenn Binder, who led the DNA Doe Project team that identified Stephens, said that by entering her DNA information into a genealogy website, they were able to locate distant cousins on both her mother’s side and father’s side. By building out a family tree with census, birth and other records, they pinpointed where the families intersected — Stephens’ parents.

Investigators found a missing person report for Stephens that had been filed in 1983, and they matched her DNA directly with one of her parents.

It only took a few weeks for Binder’s team to come up with Stephens’ name. But it could have been even quicker: Years ago, one of Stephens’ parents entered DNA into the database GEDmatch, in hopes of finding her or any children she might have had, Binder said.

That would have provided a quick DNA hit. But in 2019, GEDmatch changed its policies, better protecting the privacy of users by requiring them to opt in if they wanted law enforcement to be able to use their DNA in investigations. Because the parent had provided their DNA before the policy change, and they had not subsequently opted in, Binder’s team didn’t see the parent’s DNA profile when they searched.

Researchers at the DNA Doe Project don’t contact victims’ families, Binder said, but as the mother of a 14-year-old daughter, she could imagine the trauma they endured.

“It was a lot to think about how youthful this victim was and what she had gone through in her life,” Binder said. “It’s really upsetting her youth was taken away from her, but it also gives me some measure of comfort and a feeling of success because we were able to restore her name.”

Ridgway preyed on young women in vulnerable positions, including sex workers and runaways, mostly from 1982 to 1984. He sometimes showed them photos of his own young son to gain their trust.

He was long a suspect in the Green River killings — so called because the first victims were found in the Green River, which runs through several south Seattle suburbs. Detectives were unable to prove his role until 2001, when advances in DNA technology allowed them to link a saliva sample they had obtained from him in 1987 to semen found on several victims.

Ridgway claimed to have killed dozens more women than he was charged with — so many he said he lost count. He pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty after agreeing to help investigators find additional remains. He is now 71, spending the rest of his life at the Washington State Penitentiary.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...genealogy.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information