Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Greene - Georgia

Daniel Greene - Georgia

Daniel Greene

Summary of Offense:

Was sentenced to death in December 1992 in Clayton County where the venue was changed from Taylor County. He committed a violent crime spree the night of September 27, 1991, when he walked into a Reynolds convenience store and pulled a clerk into the back room, demanded money and stabbed her. He then stabbed customer Bernard Walker, 20, in the heart, killing him. A short time later, he forced his way into the home of an elderly couple he knew and stabbed both and stole their car. He then went to a convenience store in Warner Robins where he robbed and stabbed the clerk.

DANIEL GREENE, versus STEVEN UPTON, Warden Georgia Diagnostic Prison

Court upholds death sentence against ex-football star

The federal appeals court in Atlanta on Tuesday upheld the death sentence against a former high school football star from Taylor County who killed one man and injured three others during a drug-fueled crime spree in 1991.

Daniel Greene was sentenced to death for killing 19-year-old Bernard Walker, who was trying to aid a convenience store clerk who had been robbed and stabbed by Greene. The clerk survived. Greene was tried in Clayton County in 1992 because of pretrial publicity, and he was convicted of other crimes in Houston and Macon counties.

After killing Walker, Greene later drove to the home of a Macon County couple who had previously employed him as a farm laborer, the ruling said. Greene burst into their home, got their car keys and then stabbed Willie and Donice Montgomery multiple times. The couple survived.

Greene then drove to another convenience store in Warner Robins and pulled a knife on the store attendant, who gave Greene money from the cash register. Greene stabbed her in the back of the shoulder before fleeing. He was later arrested at a relative's home and confessed to the crimes in a videotaped interview, saying he needed money for crack cocaine, the ruling said.

Greene, a 6-foot 5-inch, 350-pound former high school football standout, was restrained during the Clayton County trial by a remote-controlled stun belt.

In Tuesday's decision, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals only addressed Greene's death-penalty trial. Writing for a unanimous three-judge panel, Judge Bill Pryor rejected claims that prosecutors unlawfully struck six prospective black jurors from the trial and that the prosecutor gave improper closing arguments that deprived Greene a fair trial.

http://www.ajc.com/news/clayton/cour...ce-990703.html

On March 19, 2012, the US Supreme Court denied Greene's certiorari petition.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/11-8738.htm

Jan
    Execution date set for former Georgia high school football star

ATLANTA | A judge has signed an order scheduling the execution of a former high school football player who killed one person and injured three others during a 1991 crime spree.

The Georgia Department of Corrections says Daniel Greene will be executed on April 19 at 7 p.m. at the state prison in Jackson.

Greene was sentenced to death for killing a 19-year-old man who was trying to aid a store clerk who had been robbed and stabbed by Greene. The former Taylor County high school football star had to be tried in Clayton County in 1992 because of pretrial publicity.

The execution was scheduled months after a federal appeals court rejected Greene's claims that prosecutors unlawfully struck six jurors from the trial and that the prosecutor gave improper closing arguments.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia...#ixzz1quHYyhPw

Execution date for Daniel Greene opens old wounds in Taylor County

A generation has passed, but folks in tight-knit Taylor County still recall the shock and fear they felt the night of Daniel Greene's knifing rampage.

Late one Friday night, in September 1991, Greene robbed the Suwanee Swifty on the main drag here, gashing a clerk with a filleting knife and fatally stabbing Bernard Walker, a former schoolmate who walked in on the attack. Before the sun came up, Greene had severely wounded three others in a spree that spanned three counties.

"To have a homicide right in downtown, right in front of a convenience store, it's just almost unheard of," said Nick Giles, the retired Taylor County sheriff. "It really gets the talk going."

Two decades later, the community is confronting the case anew as word of Greene's impending execution makes its way to peach country. While some see a semblance of closure, others have greeted the news with ambivalence and expressions of sympathy for the affected families.

"Everybody's got a lot of mixed emotions," said Wayne Smith, Taylor County Schools superintendent.

Since his conviction in 1992, Greene has filed appeal after appeal, but the U.S. Supreme Court last month declined to take up his case. Bar

ring a stay or last-minute clemency, he'll be put to death at 7 p.m. April 19 in Jackson, Ga.

"People feel bad for both families," said Freddie Harmon, Greene's defensive line coach at Taylor County High School. "Nobody wants to see anybody executed."

The loss of Walker, a popular 20-year-old remembered as a "big teddy bear," sparked unanimous outrage among friends, family members and law enforcement officials, who admired the young man and sought to recruit him to their ranks. Bob Bacle, the former Reynolds police chief, said the stabbings "devastated the community," and that the impact was compounded by Walker's character.

"It's bad that it happened to anybody, but with the caliber person that Bernard was, it shocked a lot of folks," he said. "He had a big turnout at his funeral, black and white."

For the Walker family, the past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions. Walker's older sister, Amanda Walker Prude, said she's still on the fence about whether to attend the execution.

"I always wanted to know from him why: 'Why did you do that?'" she said of Greene. "The only reason I would go would be to support my brother."

Walker Prude said her family has long entrusted Greene's fate to the courts and hasn't stated a position on capital punishment.

"We don't say whether we're for it or not for it," she said. "We just let the justice system do whatever they think."

Taylor County Sheriff Jeff Watson, who played football with Greene, said talk of the case has reopened old wounds. The "million-dollar question," he said, is what triggered Greene, who before the stabbings showed such little aggression that his coaches had to prod him to be tougher on the gridiron.

"Before this incident happened, we had no problems whatsoever with Daniel," said Giles, the retired sheriff, who works as an investigator for a Columbus law firm. "All I knew was he was just a good kid in the community."

Stabbing spree

While it shares an area code with Macon, Ga., Taylor County sits on the outer edge of the Columbus-based Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit. In 1991, that meant Greene fell just within the jurisdiction of then-District Attorney Doug Pullen, an outspoken death penalty advocate who argued that Greene was "stomp down, unnecessarily mean" and beyond rehabilitation.

"I have no qualms whatsoever about giving even the devil his due," Pullen told jurors during a December 1992 trial moved to Clayton County due to pre-trial publicity, "but what in the course of all this conduct have we seen that gives this man any right to any mercy?"

Convicted of murder, armed robbery and aggravated assault, Greene had confessed to the crimes to law enforcement, but he said at trial that he had no recollection of the stabbings or confessing. He claimed an acquaintance gave him a cigarette before the stabbings that was laced with some type of drug -- not crack cocaine, he noted, admitting he would have recognized that.

The cigarette "started tasting funny" and gave him a bad headache, he said.

"It was like my body was on fire and everything," he said. "And then I just blanked out."

On Sept. 27, 1991, Greene made three trips to the Suwanee Swifty on Ga. 96. During his last stop, store clerk Virginia Wise was eating a sandwich and chips and drinking a V8 juice when she began to watch Greene in a mirror, pacing in front of a cooler.

Before she knew it, Greene came behind the counter, grabbed her and ordered her to open the registers. Wise felt the sharp edge of a knife against her throat, but said she initially thought it was a mean joke.

"My first instinct was, you're kidding me … I can't believe you'd want to do this," she testified. "I always thought you were so nice and polite."

Greene grabbed about $145 in cash and took Wise to the back room -- the bag of chips still in her hand -- where he groped her, sliced her fingers and stabbed her in the side. Walker, who wanted to buy some bread and lunch meat, entered the store at some point, jingling the cowbell attached to the door.

"That young man walked into the wrong place at the wrong time to get him a Coke," said Mark Shelnutt, a Columbus attorney who as a young prosecutor sat second chair to Pullen at Greene's trial. "It could have been anybody that walked in."

Conflicting accounts of the confrontation were presented at trial, but authorities have long said that Walker likely tried to stop Greene and was stabbed in the process. As Greene fled the scene, Walker staggered from the store to get help but collapsed. His heart had been punctured.

Bacle, the former police chief, said Walker died in his arms.

"That's not a happy subject to remember," he said. "All he could do was look at me."

Greene wasn't done. He went to a nearby home in Macon County and stabbed Willie and Donice Montgomery, an elderly couple he'd worked for as a laborer, and cut their phone line. Their injuries were extensive, and authorities described their survival as miraculous.

Greene then drove the couple's vehicle to a convenience store in Warner Robins, Ga., robbed the cashier and stabbed her in the back with a butcher knife. She, too, managed to survive.

Authorities conducting a house-to-house search found Greene hiding in a woman's residence in Warner Robins. Greene had told the woman to lie to inquiring officers, but they sensed something amiss and came "charging in like gang busters" to arrest him, Pullen said at trial.

Greene, who was tried and convicted separately for his crimes in Macon and Houston counties, was sentenced to death for Walker's murder. Prosecutors said it was the only sentence at the time that would ensure he wouldn't kill again.

During the penalty phase, Greene told jurors he and Walker were "like brothers," and that he never would have killed him had he been in his right mind.

"I love to live," he said. "I don't want to die."

Reliving tragedy

Watson, the current sheriff, remembers his former teammate Greene as "a jam-up guy" in high school. One of the biggest shocks of the crime, he said, was that Walker and Greene were friends.

"You got two good families," he said. "Daniel's family, they work hard every day and they're good people. Then you got Bernard's family over here that's had to suffer, and they're good people."

Ricky Eubanks begins to tear up when he thinks back to that night. Eubanks, who owns a car lot just down the street from the scene of the stabbings, was a close friend of Walker. The convenience store, which has since been renamed, is a constant reminder of what the community lost.

"Folks were scared around here for a week," Eubanks recalled. "Folks were staying with each other. We didn't know where Daniel was, and we didn't know what he might do later on that night."

Ray Tiencken, who owns a body shop in Reynolds, said he remembers Walker's death "like it was yesterday."

"We knew about who it was, but we didn't," he said of Greene, "so everybody was running around here with shotguns in the truck."

Last week, Walker's sister, Walker Prude, sat on a family member's porch and was interviewed by the Ledger-Enquirer. Meanwhile, her phone rang steadily with calls of support from family and friends.

Once it was a cousin, who remembered Walker as "a Momma's boy" who never got into any trouble.

Then it was the Rev. Alvin Turner: "Those principles that we taught in Boy Scouts, believe you me, he tried to adhere to those," he said. "Bernard was an honest person."

Nobody, it seems, has a single negative word to say about Walker.

"I'm not only saying this because he was my brother, but Bernard was one of the best persons you could have ever known," Walker Prude said. "The saying is God takes the best first, and I really believe He took him for a reason."

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/...#storylink=cpy
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Columbus journalist among those witnessing execution

Condemned murderer Daniel Greene is scheduled for execution by lethal injection at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 19, 2012, at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson. Greene was sentenced to death for the 1991 murder of Bernard Walker.

Media witnesses for the execution are: Greg Bluestein, The Associated Press; Jim Mustian, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer; Joe Kovac, Macon Telegraph; Coreen Savitski, WMGT; and Randall Savage, WMAZ.

http://www2.wrbl.com/news/2012/apr/1...ti-ar-3578758/

Do you think there will be any outrage by the anti-DP crowd over this one like there was with Troy Davis Heidi?

Iīm not Heidi, but I donīt thik he gets the samen attention. As far as I know no street in a foreign country has his name. Also his attorneys (and supporters) hadnīt been succesfull with a smoke and mirror-tactic like in Davis case. His "drug-cigarette"-story is unbelievable.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Daniel Greene requests fried chicken for last meal

Death row inmate Daniel Greene has requested fried chicken, french fries, a strawberry sundae and soda for his last meal.

The former UGA football player faces execution Thursday for a 1991 crime spree that left a 19 year old dead and three others hurt. Greene killed the teen when he came to the aid of a store clerk Greene had stabbed and robbed.

Greene is scheduled to receive a lethal injection at 7 p.m. at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

He had been a high school football star in Taylor County. He had to be tried in Clayton County in 1992 because of pretrial publicity.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...-for-last-meal

The photo on the previous post was 11Alive's joke not mine!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information