Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: William Cary Sallie - Georgia Execution - December 6, 2016

pro pro
    He is doomed.

Senior Member Member GASMANDIRTY's Avatar
    Well he's there inside the chamber holding cell, waiting on his appointment. Eyes about to pop out of his head. You should see the shock on his face. Things just got serious.
    Last edited by GASMANDIRTY; 12-06-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Georgia is scheduled to execute William Sallie in about an hour. #SCOTUS has a couple requests to stay his execution

https://twitter.com/csmcdaniel
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Death row inmate William Sallie waits as execution hour passes

William Sallie continues to wait on news from the courts about whether he will become the ninth inmate Georgia executes this year.

Sallie was scheduled to die by lethal injection this evening at 7, but Georgia does not act until all courts have weighed in, which usually puts the actual time of death well into the night and sometimes into the early morning hours of the next day.

This afternoon, the Georgia Supreme Court unanimously denied Sallie’s request for a stay of execution. His only hope now rests with the U.S. Supreme Court, even though the high court previously turned him down.

As he waited, Sallie ate all of what he’d requested for his final meal — pizza — and visited with six family members, four friends, three members of the clergy and four paralegals.

Sallie, 50, has repeatedly failed to get any court to consider his claim of juror bias, and on Monday the State Board of Pardons and Paroles also rejected that argument and refused to grant a stay of execution.

Sallie was convicted in Bacon County of murdering his father-in-law John Moore in 1990, shooting and wounding his mother-in-law Linda Moore, and kidnapping his estranged wife and her sister.

Sallie broke into his in-laws’ home — where his wife, Robin, and their 2-year-old son, Ryan, were sleeping — after he lost a custody battle and his wife filed for divorce.

In court filings and a clemency petition, Sallie’s lawyers wrote that the domestic turmoil in William and Robin Sallie’s lives was much like that lived by a juror who denied ever being embroiled in a volatile marriage, a custody dispute or domestic violence.

When the woman was questioned during jury selection for the Sallie murder trial, she said her marriages — four of them — had ended amicably.

Sallie’s lawyers said that was false, contending in their clemency petition that the juror fought with soon-to-be ex-husbands over child custody and support payments and lived with domestic abuse.

That juror also told an investigator for Sallie’s lawyers that she pushed six fellow jurors to change their votes from life in prison to death, making the jury’s decision unanimous.

In numerous filings, Sallie’s lawyers have tried to get a hearing on the issue of juror bias, which has not been argued in any court because Sallie missed a critical deadline to bring that appeal.

Sallie’s attorney Jack Martin said that deadline came at a time when Sallie did not have a lawyer, as Georgia law does not mandate that the state pay for appellate attorneys for death row inmates.

Martin said former Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Norman Fletcher told the Parole Board about Georgia’s history of not providing lawyers for condemned inmates.

Fletcher wrote an op-ed in The New York Times this week — “Georgia’s dangerous rush to execution” — in which he talked about problems inherent in Georgia’s application of the death penalty.

“A door that would have been open to Mr. Sallie in almost any other state was closed to him in Georgia,” Fletcher wrote of the state’s refusal to provide people with legal counsel. “If it were open, he would be able to present the facts about his trial, which appear to show serious problems with juror bias.”

If Sallie is executed, Georgia will almost double its record for the number of executions carried out in a year since the death penalty was reinstated here in 1973. Georgia executed five people last year and also in 1987. Georgia also leads the nation in executions this year.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/death-...eOLxWyNK7gC2L/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The Latest: Georgia Executes Man Who Killed Father-in-Law

The Latest on the scheduled execution of a Georgia death row inmate convicted of killing his father-in-law (all times local):

10:15 p.m.

Georgia has executed its ninth inmate this year, putting to death a man convicted of killing his father-in-law more than a quarter century ago.

Authorities say 50-year-old William Sallie was pronounced dead at 10:05 p.m. Tuesday after a lethal injection. Sallie was convicted of murder in the March 1990 shooting death of John Lee Moore in rural south Georgia.

Prosecutors say Sallie went to his in-laws' home, where his estranged wife and their 2-year-old son were staying, and shot Moore and Moore's wife, who survived. He then abducted his estranged wife and her sister but set them free later that evening.

Sallie's lawyers had argued in court filings and a clemency application that he was entitled to a new trial because a juror at his 2001 trial lied and did not disclose personal details that would have excluded her from the jury.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/l...ution-44017363
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Convicted murderer begs for forgiveness before execution

By Jamie Schram
    The New York Post

A convicted murderer whose death sentence was initially overturned, apologized for his crimes and begged for forgiveness before he was put to death in Georgia on Tuesday.

“I just want to say I’m very, very sorry for my crimes. I really am sorry. I’m just very sorry for everything. I do ask for forgiveness,” William Sallie told witnesses moments before he was given an injection of barbiturate pentobarbital at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

Salle, 50, also said he often prayed for forgiveness – and accepted a moment of prayer just before the needle went in.

After he was injected with the lethal drugs, Sallie raised his head and peered at the witnesses, according to the Daily Mail. He then placed his head down again and yawned, before shutting his eyes and taking several deep breaths.

His body then twitched about six times as he slightly lifted his shoulders off the gurney while keeping his eyes closed. Moments later, he became still.

Sallie’s time of death was 10:05 p.m., making him the ninth prisoner to be executed in Georgia this year, according to Warden Eric Sellers.

His last meal included a medium-sized sausage and pepperoni pizza, buffalo chicken wings and a large soda.

Sallie was convicted in the March 1990 fatal shooting of his in-law, John Moore, in the rural Bacon County, Georgia.

At the time, he was embroiled in a custody battle with his wife over their young son.

Sallie became violent with his wife, who eventually took their son to live with her parents in south Georgia.

In the early morning hours of March 29, 1990, Sallie broke into his in-law’s house after he cut the phone lines. He stormed inside the master bedroom with a gun and blew away John Moore.

He also shot Moore’s wife, Linda, but she survived the attack.

Sallie then kidnapped his wife and her sister and drove them back to his mobile home, leaving his son behind, CBS News reported.

He later released the two women unharmed and was arrested.

Due to a conflict of interest with his attorney, Sallie’s murder conviction and death sentence were overturned by the court.

But a jury handed a second death sentence during Sallie’s second trial in 2001.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/07/convict...ore-execution/

A pro-execution pastor’s death row journey with a murderer

Five years and four months ago, the Rev. Larry Townsend met condemned murderer William Sallie in a visiting room at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison near Jackson.

Sallie’s mother, who lives in Indiana, had asked Townsend to visit and counsel her son as he waited to be executed for killing his father-in-law in 1990, a murder committed during a bitter divorce and child custody fight.

Townsend agreed to meet with the death row inmate even though the pastor and his church — the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod — support the death penalty.

“I believe that capital punishment is biblical,” said Townsend, a retired Army colonel and dentist who went on to become a minister.

But, Townsend said, “God had a plan over five years ago and, evidently, I was in his plan. Everything that’s happened has been God’s doing.”

On Dec. 6, Sallie became the ninth prisoner executed in Georgia in 2016. Townsend sat with Sallie just hours before his lethal injection, and he was in the execution chamber as a witness.

Townsend, 67, had never been inside a prison or jail until his first meeting with Sallie in 2011.

From then on, once a month for two hours, the preacher and death penalty supporter sat knee-to-knee with a condemned murderer free of leg or waist chains.

“I never felt ill at ease,” Townsend said. “I never felt anything was going to happen to me. It was like a peace I can’t explain.”

The pastor completed his “journey” with Sallie by traveling to Indiana to preside over his funeral and burial.

“He (Sallie) never denied killing his father-in-law,” Townsend said. “He did what he did. As I grew in my journey with him and him with me … I realized that was a one-time event for him. Did he deserve to be incarcerated? Did he deserve consequences for what he did, for the crimes he did? Yes.”

But, Townsend said, the death penalty was misapplied in Sallie’s case.

The family of Sallie’s father-in-law has not responded to telephone calls seeking comment. Sallie’s mother also has not publicly commented, preferring to keep her son’s past a family secret, according to Townsend.

The Crime

With the marriage ending, Sallie struck his wife, Robin, during an argument in December 1989. Robin Sallie then filed for divorce and took their 2-year-old son to live with her family in Bacon County.

A few weeks after Robin Sallie moved in with her parents and younger sister and brother, William Sallie picked up the boy under the pretense of having a visit. Instead, Sallie took his son to Indiana, where Sallie had grown up.

A judge in Indiana eventually ruled that the child had to be returned to his mother in Georgia.

Sallie had a friend buy him a gun, followed his son to South Georgia, and used a fake name to rent a mobile home in nearby Liberty County.

Shortly after midnight on March 29, 1990, Sallie broke into the Alma home of John and Linda Moore. He shot John Moore six times as he slept, then fired four shots to wound his mother-in-law, Linda Moore.

Sallie handcuffed Linda Moore to her 9-year-old son, Justin, leaving them and his toddler son in the bedroom with John Moore’s body. Sallie then took his estranged wife and her 17-year-old sister to his rented trailer and sexually assaulted them.

He released the sisters hours later after begging them not to seek criminal charges.

The Trials

In 1991 Sallie was convicted and sentenced to die. But a new trial was ordered on appeal because of a conflict of interest — Sallie’s defense attorney in the first trial was also a full-time law clerk in the Waycross Judicial Circuit, which includes Bacon County, where the murder occurred.

In 2001 Sallie was again convicted and sentenced to die by a jury in Houston County, where the trial was moved because of pre-trial publicity.

It later came out that a juror in that second trial would likely have been disqualified had she not misled attorneys and the judge during jury selection. No one knew there was a potential appeal on the basis of juror bias until after a crucial filing deadline had passed.

That juror — who had experienced domestic abuse, four bitter divorces, and child custody fights similar to those in the Sallie marriage — told an investigator for Sallie’s lawyers that she’d pressured six other jurors to vote for death.

According to an affidavit attached to Sallie’s clemency petition, that juror — whom The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has been unable to reach for comment — told the investigator: “I said that laws can change and he could be set free. … They (other jurors) tried to push that he had found God in prison, but what person in prison hasn’t?”

The Criticism

That juror issue confounds Townsend.

“I really think the Georgia judicial system blew it, and I will go to my grave with that same feeling,” he said.

Townsend referenced a New York Times op-ed, published Dec. 5, in which retired Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Norman Fletcher discusses the Sallie case in denouncing “specific problems with the way capital cases are handled.”

The pastor also referenced the case of Brian Nichols, who in 2005 murdered a judge, a court stenographer and a deputy at the Fulton County Courthouse, then killed a federal agent several hours later. Because a Fulton jury could not agree unanimously on a death sentence, Nichols is serving several back-to-back sentences of life without parole.

Townsend’s son-in-law, coincidentally, was a deputy assigned to the Fulton County Courthouse at the time of the Nichols killing spree.

The Execution

After Sallie’s execution warrant was signed in mid-November, Townsend’s and Sallie’s conversations about faith and forgiveness became more urgent.

“I told him how he was in good company with Jesus, himself … a condemned criminal,” Townsend said. “And with Paul and Peter in the Bible. … Never forget the thief on the cross with Jesus.”

Townsend said he told Sallie that if his execution were carried out, “‘You’ve got to know that you’re going to be with Jesus in Heaven.’”

“He confessed what he needed to confess,” Townsend said. “I said, ‘God has wiped your slate clean. You may have to face the punishment for your earthly sins, but now you don’t have to face your heavenly damnation through your belief in Jesus Christ.”

Hours before the scheduled time of the execution, Townsend performed the Lutheran commendation of the dying, using grape juice instead of wine.

Townsend said his last words to Sallie were to ask a favor. “‘Will you say hello to Jesus for me, and when you see me coming up to Heaven (will you) come over to greet me? I don’t know when it will be, but I’m looking forward to the day I see you again.’”

The next morning, Townsend drove the 700 miles to Indiana with Sallie’s parents.

“I do not regret one second of the last five years and four months,” Townsend said. “My journey with him has strengthened my faith. I don’t get angry with God. Things happen. He allows them to happen. And we don’t know what (God is) thinking. Maybe he wanted William with him now. Maybe he wanted to use William … to show people if you’re going to give out the death sentence, tighten it up a little bit. … Save it for the worst of the worst and give a little leeway if something is uncovered after the fact.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/pro-...05la2XmX8MeIK/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information