Thread: Darryl Scott Stinski - Georgia Death Row

Darryl Scott Stinski - Georgia Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Was sentenced to death along with Dorian Frank O'Kelley in 2005 for the 2002 slayings of Susan Pittman and her daughter, Kimberly.

For more on O'Kelley, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ghlight=dorian

October 14, 2009

GA high court to hear Stinski death penalty case

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - The Georgia Supreme Court will hear arguments in convicted killer Darryl Stinski's death penalty case on October 19.

Back in April of 2002, Stinski and Dorian O'Kelly brutally beat and stabbed Susan Pittman and her 13-year-old daughter and then set fire to their home with their bodies inside.

In 2005, O'Kelley was convicted and sentenced to die. Two years later, another jury found Stinski guilty and sentenced him to death as well.

Stinski's lawyers filed almost 400 pages in briefs appealing his case. The Georgia high court has already heard O'Kelley's case and upheld the sentence.

To read the full case and what Stinki's attorneys will be arguing to the Georgia Supreme Court, see below or visit http://www.gasupreme.us:

STINSKI V. THE STATE (S09P1745)

The Supreme Court of Georgia will hear arguments in this death penalty appeal involving Darryl Scott Stinski, who was convicted in Chatham County of murdering Susan Pittman, 41, and her 13-year-old daughter, Kimberly Pittman.

FACTS: According to evidence presented at trial, Stinski and Dorian O'Kelley set out the night of April 10, 2002 on a crime spree. It began when they twice tried to break into a house on Rivers Bend Drive in Savannah. Both times a neighbor called police. According to a videotaped statement, Stinski told police they then went to Pittman's house where first they turned off all the power. After removing a screen, they entered through a window and found mother and daughter asleep in separate bedrooms. They attacked Susan Pittman first, beating her with a "Mag" flashlight and a cane. When Kimberly awoke to her mother's screams, Stinski took her upstairs and bound her wrists and taped her mouth. After beating Susan to death, O'Kelley went upstairs and raped Kimberly while Stinski went downstairs to search for items to steal. When Stinski returned, he said the girl was naked from the waist down and smeared with blood. The two men then beat her with a baseball bat before O'Kelley slit her throat and hit her in the head with a brick. The girl continued to fight, and eventually Stinski and O'Kelley used lighters to set fires throughout the house. Stinski said he believed the girl was still alive when they started the fires because when O'Kelley kicked her or threw something at her, Stinski noticed she moved and groaned. After the murders, they went back to O'Kelley's residence and watched the fire. At some point, they also broke into about a dozen cars in the area, stealing a number of items.

When police arrived, they found the house fully engulfed in flames and observed Stinski and O'Kelley across the street watching. Susan Pittman's charred body was found in a fetal position in the master bedroom, and the remains of Kimberly Pittman were found upstairs. Both were burned beyond recognition. The medical examiner testified the mother died of stab wounds and probably head trauma. He believed the 13-year-old was alive at the time of the fire and the main cause of death was smoke inhalation. Police later found a red tote bag at Stinski's trailer that contained items belonging to Susan Pittman. A friend of O'Kelley's testified that O'Kelley had bragged to him that he "beat the little girl and raped her." The friend said O'Kelley pulled a bloody tooth from his wallet he'd kept as a souvenir and claimed was the girl's. After Stinski and O'Kelley were arrested, police found the tooth, which was later identified as Kimberly's.

In June 2002, Stinski and O'Kelley were formally charged with murder, arson, burglary and cruelty to children. O'Kelley was tried first in 2005, sentenced to death, and on Nov. 3, 2008, the state Supreme Court affirmed his murder convictions and death sentences. In June 2007, a jury found Stinski guilty. Following the sentencing phase, the jury sentenced Stinski to death. Stinski now appeals to the state Supreme Court.

ARGUMENTS: Stinski's attorneys have enumerated 68 errors they contend were made by the trial court. In 399 pages of briefs, they have raised claims addressing every phase of the trial, including jury selection, guilt-innocence and sentencing. Among their arguments: The trial court erred by denying Stinski's motions to suppress his videotaped statement to police and to suppress evidence seized from his trailer that was found in the red tote bag. Since his statement was the "fruit" of an illegal search, it should be excluded, they argue. Furthermore, they contend, detectives violated the law by implying a promise of benefit to Stinski by saying such things as "it's in your best interest to tell."

In its 230 pages of briefs, the State responds to all 68 claims, noting that in a pre-trial review this Court already rejected Stinski's claims regarding the admissibility of his statement. The Court found that the statements made by law enforcement authorities did not constitute a hope of benefit and that Stinski lacked standing to challenge the legality of the search.

Attorneys for Appellant (Stinski): Michael Schiavone, Steven Sparger

Attorneys for Appellee (State): Thurbert Baker, Attorney General, Mary Beth Westmoreland, Dep. A.G., Beth Burton, Sr. Asst. A.G., Richard Tangum, Asst. A.G.

http://www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp?s=11313718

March 1, 2010

GA Supreme Court upholds Stinski death sentence

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - The Georgia Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence of Darryl Stinski in the 2002 killings of a Savannah woman and her 13-year-old daughter.

In an opinion published Monday, the court found that evidence presented in the case was sufficient to conclude "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Stinski was guilty of the slayings of 41-year-old Susan Pittman and her daughter, Kimberly.

In April of 2002, prosecutors say Stinski and Dorian O'Kelly brutally beat and stabbed Pittman and her daughter and then set fire to their home with their bodies inside.

In 2005, O'Kelley was convicted and sentenced to die. Two years later, another jury found Stinski guilty and sentenced him to death as well.

In October 2009, Stinski's lawyers filed an appeal in his case. The Georgia high court has already heard an appeal of O'Kelley's case and upheld his sentence in 2008.

See GA high court to hear Stinski death penalty case.

To read the full opinion from the Georgia Supreme Court, visit http://www.gasupreme.us.

http://www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp?s=12062341

In today's US Supreme Court orders, Stinski was denied rehearing on denial of first writ of certiorari appeal. Original was denied on November 1, 2010.

Order here

On March 26, 2018, Stinski filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ge...8cv00066/74567

On December 15, 2021, Stinski’s habeas petition was denied by the federal district court. He was also denied a COA.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...0066/74567/72/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On August 30, 2022, Stinski filed an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci.../ca11/22-12898

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

On November 6, 2023, oral argument will be held in Stinski's appeal before the Eleventh Circuit.

https://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/...29_Stinski.pdf

Habeas relief denied by 11th Circuit 12/20/23.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...023-12-20.html

The panel was made up of Judges Rosenbaum (Obama), Grant (Trump) and Abudu (Biden).

Thread Information