Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Keith Leroy Tharpe - Georgia

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Where did you hear it? I can't find it anywhere.

So in two weeks GA gets rid of three death row inmates in three different ways. I'll take it.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Well we can thank Kennedy for this

I would’ve preferred had Meders died by lethal injection. We can thank the board for that. Plus, I hope Aaron was right when he told me to expect Lance’s execution to proceed. I don’t trust the judiciary anymore. We got lucky with the Desantis judges destroying Hurst but we won’t know the effects of that for sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    You got to be kidding me? He should’ve died on the gurney
    Dying on the gurney would have been a blessing. Pain wise his dying of terminal cancer is a 1000 times worse.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Inmate who appealed death sentence over juror’s racist views dies

By Marlon A. Walker,
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Keith “Bo” Tharpe spent years on Georgia’s death row insisting a juror’s racist views had put him there.

Tharpe — who finished what he expected to be his last meal on Sept. 26, 2017, before the U.S. Supreme Court issued a stay of his execution — died late Friday at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Butts County. His death likely was due to complications from cancer, according to a news release from the Georgia Resource Center, which represented him in recent years as he attempted to appeal his death sentence. He was 61.

In 1991, Tharpe was sentenced to death for killing his sister-in-law, Jaquelin Freeman. Seven years later, juror Barney Gattie dropped several racially biased statements while being interviewed by Tharpe’s lawyers, including calling Tharpe the n-word.

“After studying the Bible, I have wondered if black people even have souls, ” said Gattie, according to an affidavit he signed years after the trial.

Gattie also said Tharpe’s sister-in-law came from a family of “nice black folks.”

“If they had been the type Tharpe is, then picking between life and death for Tharpe wouldn’t have mattered so much,” Gattie said. “My feeling is, what would be the difference?”

Gattie, who was white, said he voted to sentence Tharpe to death because he “wasn’t in the ‘good’ black folks category.” However, Gattie later backed off that statement.
    Gattie is now deceased.

In a 6-3 decision in 2017, U.S. Supreme Court justices said they were concerned Gattie was racist and only voted for the death penalty because Tharpe was black, sending the case back to a lower court on appeal.

Still, a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously against Tharpe’s appeal, saying it could not retroactively apply a 2017 U.S. Supreme Court opinion allowing courts to consider evidence of racial animus by jurors.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Tharpe’s subsequent appeal.

The Georgia Department of Corrections has not yet responded to a media request to officially confirm the inmate's death.

Marcia Widder, one of Tharpe’s lawyers at the Georgia Resource Center, said the courts’ refusal to consider the impact of Gattie’s views “a stain on the judicial system” and calls for more effort to eliminate racism in the criminal court system.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...tWVAoIoHajxMM/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information