Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frederick Ramone Whatley - Georgia Death Row

Frederick Ramone Whatley - Georgia Death Row

Summary of Offense:

The evidence showed that Whatley entered Roy's Bait Shop in Griffin at about 8:45 p.m. on January 26, 1995. Whatley brandished a .32 caliber silver revolver and forced employee Tommy Bunn to lie face-down on the floor behind the counter.  

Whatley pressed the gun against Bunn's head and instructed the owner of the store, Ed Allen, to hand over the money in the cash register. Allen put money in a paper sack and placed the sack on the counter.  

Whatley moved to the front of the counter, retrieved the paper sack, and fired two shots. One shot struck Allen in the chest and pierced his left lung.  

Expert testimony established that this shot was fired from a distance of 18 inches. The second shot was fired at Bunn's head (Bunn was still lying prone behind the counter), but the bullet deflected off the counter top and missed.   Whatley then exited the store.

Outside the store, Whatley encountered Ray Coursey, who was getting out of his car near the store's doorway. Whatley held his gun to Coursey's head, forced him back into the driver's seat of the car, and told him, “take me where I want to go.” Whatley got in the back seat.  

Although mortally wounded, Allen obtained a hidden .44 caliber handgun, rushed to the front of the store, and fired several shots at Whatley, who returned fire. After the exchange of gunfire, Allen collapsed and died from internal bleeding caused by the previously-inflicted gunshot wound.  

Whatley exited Coursey's car, dropped the paper sack after it tore open, and fled on foot. Coursey observed that Whatley was limping.

Coursey and Bunn told the officers who arrived on the scene that the assailant had used a silver revolver. One of the officers had taken a report the previous day from Franklin White, who said that his silver revolver was missing and he suspected that his cousin, Whatley, had taken it.  

The officers went to the house where Whatley was staying with a relative, and found him during a consent search. Whatley had a bullet wound in his leg that was still bleeding. Franklin White's .32 caliber silver revolver, determined by a firearms expert to be the murder weapon, was found under Whatley's mattress.  

The police also found a bloody pair of thermal underwear with a bullet hole in the leg, a bloody towel, and bloody boxer shorts in a trash can behind the house. Fibers on a .44 caliber bullet removed from Coursey's car were consistent with fibers from the thermal underwear, and DNA taken from blood on the fibers matched Whatley. A palm print on the paper sack dropped next to Coursey's car also matched Whatley.  

In the penalty phase, the state introduced evidence that Whatley was an escapee from a Washington D.C. halfway house, where he had been serving time for robbery.

On June 30, 2009, Whatley filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/geo...v00074/159943/

On April 9, 2013, Whatley's habeas petition was granted on an ineffective-assistance-of-counsel claim.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...074/159943/51/

On May 6, 2013, the State of Georgia filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...ca11/13-12034/

On February 8, 2016, oral argument will heard in Whatley's appeal before the Eleventh Circuit.

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/d...y%20public.pdf

The 11th Circuit reversed the District Court's grant to Whatley, and affirmed the denial of his other claims, in today's opinions.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...?ts=1561050150
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

The 11th Circuit denied en banc rehearing on Friday. Judge Martin dissented.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...?ts=1586779271
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Aaron, when I first got on this site I told you Georgia will have a wave equivalent to that of 2016 this year.

They have just as many finished at the eleventh now as they did on January 1st.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Chris Carr is a good attorney general. He set a date for Marion Wilson the day after the Supreme Court denied him on remand. Although he did take a little over a year to set Lances date. I wonder if he’ll set dates for Nance and Raulerson around the same time?
    Last edited by Neil; 04-13-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Whatley filed for cert on September 8, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/20-363.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information