Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marion Wilson, Jr. - Georgia Execution - June 20, 2019

Wilson's cert petition has been distributed for the SCOTUS conference of February 17, 2017. He could potentially receive an execution date for March or so, assuming cert is denied.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....es/16-6855.htm
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Supreme Court to Hear Appeal From Georgia Death Row Inmate

The Supreme Court said Monday it will hear an appeal from a Georgia death row inmate who says lower courts failed to look at lengthy, detailed rulings in his case when turning away a challenge to his sentence.

The justices agreed to take up the appeal from Marion Wilson, who was convicted for his role in killing a state prison guard in 1996.

A state court judge had issued a comprehensive opinion after rejecting Wilson's challenge to his sentence. The Georgia Supreme Court issued only a short, summary opinion upholding the sentence.

Wilson then sought to overturn his sentence in federal court. The federal appeals court in Atlanta ruled 6-5 that it only had to look at the latest summary denial and did not have to review opinions from lower courts.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Wilson despite the fact that state prosecutors agreed with him that federal courts should consider detailed rulings from lower courts in such cases.

One of the dissenting judges said the ruling would set a precedent that would make it less likely for inmates to get their death sentences overturned.

Georgia Attorney General Christopher Carr said in a brief to the Supreme Court that the state would not oppose the justices reviewing the issue.

Wilson had argued that his lawyer did not effectively represent him during sentencing proceedings.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...rgia.html?_r=0
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Oral argument was heard yesterday in Wilson's appeal before the United States Supreme Court. The transcript is here.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Given Butts has a date, are there any updates here?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Last movement on this case was in January. https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/16-6855.html

Also I don't know why but the Office of the Attorney General of Arkansas is involved in this case.

Other

Lee Philip Rudofsky Office of the Attorney General
    323 Center Street, Suite 200
    Little Rock, AR 72201

Party name: Arkansas, et al.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-16-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Senior Member Member GASMANDIRTY's Avatar
    I think his CERT gets denied and he should be close behind Butts. Old tactics one blame the other and stalls the process. Wilson should have gotten a date last year but the courts granted his CERT application. I don't think it will be much longer.

The Supreme Court reversed the 11th circuit today and remanded for further consideration. Gorsuch, Thomas, and Alito dissented.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-6855_c18e.pdf

Sigh.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Same violent crime — one set to die while the other waits

By Rhonda Cook
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Gang members Robert Earl Butts, Jr. and Marion “Murdock” Wilson, Jr. were together when they asked an off-duty correctional officer for a ride outside a Milledgeville Walmart the evening of March 28, 1996.

They were together when, 16 minutes later, Butts shot Donovan Corey Parks with a sawed-off shotgun then left the 25-year-old lying face-down on a Milledgeville road.

Together they dosed Parks’ 1992 Acura Vigor with gasoline and set it on fire behind a Macon Huddle House. Just hours later, the pair applied for landscaping jobs.

Convicted of the same charges — murder, armed robbery, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, possession of “certain weapons,” and carjacking, both were condemned by Baldwin County juries.

But on Thursday, Butts, 40, is scheduled to be the second person Georgia has put to death this year while Wilson has more time; how much no one can say. On April 17, the day after Butts’ execution warrant was signed, the U.S. Supreme Court sent Wilson’s case back to the federal appeals court in Atlanta with instructions to take another look.

For those steeped in the vagaries of death penalty law, such an outcome is no surprise.

“That happens,” said Michael Mears, who is now a professor at John Marshall Law School but who has been involved in 167 capital case of which only 27 went to trial.

One man will go to his death while another, equally responsible for the same murder, has a chance of avoiding lethal injection, he said.

“It’s the luck of the draw sometimes,” which lawyers represent them, what mistakes were made at trial, which judge hear their appeals, Mears said.

For example, Mears noted, Brandon Jones died by lethal injection in September 2016 for the 1979 murder of a Cobb County convenience store manager, more than three decades after his partner, Van Roosevelt Solomon, was electrocuted on February 20, 1985 for that same murder. Brandon Jones’ case took longer to work through all the appeals after a second sentencing trial was ordered because there was a Bible in the room with jurors as they deliberated his punishment the first time.

And Daniel Lucas was executed on April 27, 2016, for the 1998 murders of a Jones County father and his two children, more than 5 1/2 years after his co-defendant, Brandon Rhode, was executed on September 27, 2010.

“Different issues come up in (a) case,” said Georgia State University law professor Lauren Sudeall Lucas. “They just move at different paces… There are different lawyers and different issues in each case. There may be claims one can raise the others cannot.”

District Attorney Stephen Bradley, who was an assistant district attorney during the trials of both Butts and Wilson, said the Supreme Court’s decision on Wilson has no bearing on Butts’ case. In their appeal, Butts’ attorneys are claiming the death sentence is not proportional to the crime, at least not by today’s standards. Wilson’s most recent appeal focused on the arcane question of what prior state court ruling the federal appeals court should evaluate when deciding the merits of a condemned inmate’s case.

For Donovan Parks’ father, Freddie, 22 years is long enough to wait for justice.

“I’ve been praying I’d see this day and they would get what’s coming to them,” Parks, 75, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

He said he’s kept his son’s clothes, which he sometimes wears. “I know he would want me to have them. None of it was given away,” he said.

Freddie Parks plans to witness Butts’ execution. “I feel like I’m doing something for my son. …I feel like I would have accomplished something for him, justice for him.”

But then he must wait for a final decision on the fare of the second many convicted of killing his son.

Donovan Parks, like his father, became a prison guard after graduating high school. But the younger Parks had plans, his father said. Instead of making corrections his career, he wanted to attend college.

The night that he was killed, Parks, a Jehovah’s Witness, had just come home from Bible study at the Milledgeville Kingdom Hall, across the street from the house he shared with his recently-widowed father. Parks was still wearing his tie and checkered grey suit when he left for a quick trip to Walmart for cat food.

According to then-District Attorney Fred Bright, Butts and Wilson also had gone to the Walmart, “shopping for somebody to kill.” Prosecutors said the two 18-year-olds were looking to make an impression on other members of their gang, FOLK Nation.

At 9:50 p.m., Parks handed a Walmart cashier $7.93 for four cans of cat food, tropical fish food, soap and cocoa butter. Behind him, Butts waited to pay for a 20-cent pack of Wrigley’s chewing gum.

Butts worked with Parks at a local Burger King and he asked for a ride for him and Wilson.

A single-barrel sawed-off shotgun hidden in the sleeve of his Colorado Rockies jacket, Butts got in the front passenger seat. Wilson climbed in the back after Parks cleared out a spot for him to sit.

Minutes later, on street dotted with pre-fabricated houses, Wilson grabbed Parks’ necktie, cinching it so tightly it later had to be cut off. Butts ordered Parks out of the car and shot him in the back of the head, leaving the officer face-down in his own blood and brain matter.

The two fled to Atlanta in Parks’ Acura, according to testimony.

Moments after Parks was shot, his father, came up on a body in the road but didn’t recognize his son because of the damage done by the large buckshot. The father called the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office to report that someone had been hit by a car.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, who was the chief deputy in Baldwin County at the time, was able to identify the dead man only by matching the initials in the dead man’s class ring to the roster of seniors at Baldwin High School in 1990; there was only one person with the initials BCP.

Wilson was arrested four days later at the courthouse when he came to an appointment related to a DUI conviction. Butts was hiding in his grandmother’s bedroom closet when authorities came for him.

Detectives found the shotgun under Wilson’s mattress. Wilson’s girlfriend said she saw Butts hand him the weapon.

Talking to investigators Wilson blamed Butts for everything. He said he had nothing to prove because he was “chief enforcer” with the local FOLK Nation gang. “I’m as high (in the gang) as I can be. I ain’t got to go no higher. I ain’t got to do nothing to go no higher,” Wilson said in an interview with Sills and Baldwin County Sheriff Bill Massee.

Butts, meanwhile, denied everything at first but then decided to testify at his trial and to lay it all on Wilson. Butts testified that it was Wilson’s idea to steal a car and it was Wilson who “snatched him out” of the car and took him to the back and shot him.

“I was scared…” Butts testified. “I was really upset. And I was feeling, you know, kind of sick at the stomach.”

The jury didn’t believe him and convicted him of murder.

Butts was sentenced to die on November 21, 1998, almost exactly a year after another Baldwin County jury voted to condemn Wilson.

https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--la...lWmeUkK6Z3XdN/

Related

Georgia inmate Robert Earl Butts Jr. executed for 1996 murder

Robert Earl Butts Jr. was put to death by lethal injection at 9:58 p.m. at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison.

When asked for a final statement, Butts replied, “I’ve been drinking caffeine all day.” And then he declined an offer for a prayer.

Butts kept his eyes closed from the moment he was placed on the gurney.

He never looked at the father and brother of his victim, sitting on just the other side of the window that separates the witness area from the execution chamber, nor did he look at Baldwin County Sheriff Bill Massee or Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, who was chief deputy in Baldwin County at the time of the murder.

Two minutes after the pentobarbital began to flow into the vein in his arm, Butts mumbled, “It burns, man.” After that, he yawned and took a series of deep breaths until there was no movement about a minute before he was pronounced dead.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected Butts’ request for a stay of execution about 45 minutes prior to the lethal injection.

That followed the Georgia Supreme Court’s unanimous decision this afternoon to deny a stay of execution.

Although the lethal injection was scheduled for 7 p.m., Georgia does not proceed until all courts have weighed in on last-minute appeals for mercy.

Butts, 40, was sentenced to death for the March 1996 murder of Donovan Corey Parks in Milledgeville. Butts and his co-defendant, Marion Wilson Jr., asked Parks for a ride from a local Walmart store and later ordered him from the car and shot him in the head. Butts was 18 at the time.

In addition to denying Butts’ motion for a stay of execution, the state Supreme Court denied his request to appeal rulings by the Butts County Superior Court and the Baldwin County Superior Court, which both issued an order denying a stay and rejecting Butts’ challenge to his death sentence.

Butts spent his final hours with two relatives as the courts weighed his lawyers’ last-minute attempts to save him from execution. Their arguments focus on various aspects of his conviction and sentence for murdering the 25-year-old Parks, a correctional officer who was off duty when killed.

Butts was served his last meal — a hamburger with bacon and two kinds of cheese, a rib-eye steak, chicken tenders, seasoned french fries, cheesecake and strawberry lemonade — which he did eat.

Nearby, on death row, Butts’ partner in the murder sat in a cell. The day after Butts’ execution warrant was signed on April 16, the U.S. Supreme Court returned Marion “Murdock” Wilson’s case to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, telling the judges in Atlanta to take another look.

And in another part of the prison, the father and brother of Butts’ victim waited for an end to their emotional roller coaster, which had run parallel to Butts’ over the past three days.

Wednesday night, the State Board of Pardons and Paroles granted Butts a 90-day stay of execution so the parole board’s five members could have more time to review a “considerable amount of additional information” about the case.

That stay halted the lethal injection set for 7 p.m. Thursday. Then the parole board lifted the stay Thursday afternoon and Butts’ execution was rescheduled for Friday night.

Parks’ brother, Christopher, wrote to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution to express his despair:

“I have suffered along with my father, Freddie L. Parks, for 22 years since Donovan was brutally murdered,” Christopher Parks wrote in an email Thursday. “I spoke at the clemency hearing yesterday, only to receive word that a stay of execution for up to 90 days has been ordered by the parole board. Needless to say, I was distraught and frustrated and so is my dad. We feel as victimized by the system as we were by the offenders.”

Butts will be the second man Georgia has put to death this year.

Butts’ lawyers asked the parole board to consider his troubled childhood, caused primarily by a mother who was an alcoholic and a drug user who frequently brought different men home. They also argued before the courts and the board that Wilson, not Butts, actually pulled the trigger on the sawed-off shotgun that blasted a hole into the back of Parks’ head. And they argued that if Butts were tried today for the same crime, he most likely would not get a death sentence because of evolving attitudes.

Butts and Wilson encountered Donovan Corey Parks at a local Walmart the night of March 28, 1996.

Prosecutors — who contend that the two were members of the FOLK Nation gang in Milledgeville — said Butts and Wilson were at the store “shopping for a victim.”

Parks, a Jehovah’s Witness, had just left Bible study at the Freedom Hall across the street from the house he shared with his father, and went to the Walmart to buy cat food, soap and cocoa.

As Parks checked out, Butts got in line behind him with a 20-cent pack of gun.

Parks and Butts knew each other from when they both worked at Burger King, so Butts asked Parks for a ride for himself and his friend.

Witnesses saw Butts get into the passenger front seat of Parks’ 1992 Acura, and Wilson get into the back. Prosecutors said Butts was wearing a black jacket that concealed a sawed-off shotgun.

Sixteen minutes later, Parks was walked to the rear of his car, where he was shot in the back of the head.

According to trial testimony, Butts and Wilson drove off, planning to sell the Acura for parts in Atlanta. Hours later, the plan unsuccessful, the two returned to Middle Georgia, where they doused the car with gasoline and set it on fire behind a Macon Huddle House.

Butts and Wilson were arrested four days later. Law enforcement had surveillance video from places where the two had stopped after the murder. They found the sawed-off shotgun under the mattress on Wilson’s bed. According to prosecutors, Wilson claimed he was a FOLK Nation “enforcer,” and the walls of Butts’ bedroom were covered in FOLK Nation gang graffiti.

“That night, they extinguished the life of a young man whose life was full of promise; a young man who was sensitive, caring, and compassionate,” Christopher Parks wrote, describing his brother’s decision to help the two by giving them a ride.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...KhskZ32Dw6Q5M/

The 11th Circuit denied Wilson on remand today.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...?ts=1533929441

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information