Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Carr - Mississippi Death Row

Anthony Carr - Mississippi Death Row

Carl "Bubba" Parker and Bobbie Jo Parker

Facts of the Crime:

Was sentenced in Alcorn County in September 1990 for the February 2, 1990 murders of Carl and Bobbie Joe Parker, and their children, Charlotte and Gregory Parker. The victims were sexually assaulted, tortured and then burned.

Robert Simon, Jr. was also sentenced to death for the crime. For more on Simon, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ippi-Death-Row

Carr's case was remanded back to the trial court on an Atkins claim back in 2004.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ms-suprem...t/1149311.html

Mississippi High Court hears Death Row appeal in 1990 murder case

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – The Mississippi Supreme Court is hearing arguments in an appeal from death row inmate Anthony Carr.

He is one of two people convicted in the 1990 slayings of a family in rural Quitman County.

The sparsely populated county had to raise taxes three consecutive years to pay for the defense of Carr and Robert Simon Jr. Both men remain on death row at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.

Arguments in the Carr case are taking place Tuesday.

Carl and Bobbie Jo Parker, their 12-year-old son Gregory and 9-year-old daughter Charlotte had just returned from church when they were killed in their home the night of Feb. 2, 1990.

Court records show Carr was convicted of four counts of capital murder in a trial that was moved to Alcorn County.

http://www.wcbi.com/crime/mississipp...0-murder-case/

Court reverses, remands death penalty from 1990 murders

The Mississippi Supreme Court on Thursday reversed a death penalty sentence for one of two men convicted of the gruesome murders of a Quitman County family in 1990, sending the sentence appeal back to county circuit court.

An attorney for Anthony Carr in May had appealed for the state high court to toss out Carr's death sentence based on 2002 U.S. Supreme Court Ruling that states cannot execute mentally disabled people. During Carr's appeal of his death sentence in 2013, two psychologists disagreed whether Carr was competent, and a Quitman County circuit judge said it was "too close to call" and upheld the sentence.

The state Supreme Court was unanimous in its reversal and remand, but differed on reasoning and particulars of law as to how the lower court erred, with two separate opinions from the main one. The main opinion said the judge erred by "failing to balance and analyze his adaptive functioning deficits with his IQ score," which was between 70 and 75. The lower court judge relied on Carr's IQ alone and did not consider whether he also had behavior problems severe enough to deem him mentally disabled coupled with a low IQ.

Carr and Robert Simon Jr. were sentenced to death for the 1990 murders of the Parker family of Quitman. The Parkers returned home from church to find Carr and Simon burglarizing their home. The two shot Carl Parker, his wife, Bobbie Jo and 12-year-old Gregory and 9-year-old Charlotte multiple times. They raped the little girl and chopped the father's finger off to take his wedding ring.
    The killers set the house on fire and left the bodies to burn. Charlotte Parker died of smoke inhalation while the others died of gunshot wounds.

Quitman County had to raise taxes for three years in a row to pay for the defense of Carr and Robert in one of the longest-running state capital cases.

In May 2011, Simon was only four hours away from being executed when a federal appeals court stopped it to consider his claim that he was incompetent to be executed because he fell and suffered a brain injury and had amnesia. A federal judge ruled that Simon was faking amnesia, and the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in March upheld that ruling.

Attorney General Jim Hood has called the murders "savage" and vowed to continue to fight appeals of their sentences.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/n...nded/88590308/
    Last edited by Aaron; 08-11-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

This is the one of the worst cases I have ever read. It's absolutely inexcusable that we've become so concerned with the rights of killers that justice can be skirted as easily as faking amnesia. In the good old days justice would have been served long ago
    Last edited by Aaron; 08-11-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    26 years later, family of murder victims want justice

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - In 1990, Anthony Carr and Robert Simon Junior broke into a family's home in Quitman County, raped a 9-year-old girl and shot her parents and 12-year-old brother before burning the house down.

Today, 26 years later, those men are still on death row.

"We want justice," Scott Parker said. Scott is one of the surviving sons of Carl and Bobby Jo Parker, who Carr and Simon murdered. "It's not going to bring my family back - nothing ever will. But we need some closure, one way or another."

Carr and Simon have sought appeals for their quadruple homicide charges and had their executions stayed for 26 years.

And now, family members of those killed are speaking out.

Simon's appeal was that he suffered memory loss after a head injury.

"There's 40 or 50-something death row inmates," added Scott. "Every one of them could say they bumped their head."

Carr has escaped lethal injection by claiming mental retardation.

Dane Parker, Carl and Bobby Jo Parker's other surviving son, maintains the killer's IQ was high enough to carefully preserve a ceiling fan while stealing it in 1990.

"They knew what they were doing," said Dane. "They were so precise in what they were doing. Like I said, they were saving wire nuts, so they knew to save them, so they could put the fans back up."

The Death Penalty Information Center says the average time between sentencing and execution of an inmate was nearly 16 years in 2012.

Both Carr and Simon are still listed by the Mississippi Department of Corrections as "active" prisoners with no scheduled date for their executions.

http://www.msnewsnow.com//story/3281...-want-justice#

Editorial:

Executions warranted for some crimes

By Jimmie E. Gates
    The Clarion-Ledger

I've lost count along the way of the number of executions I have witnessed over the years here in Mississippi.

I think the number is 8 to 10 executions, where I actually stood inside a small room looking through a large window as a death row inmate was put to death. I covered other executions at Parchman where I didn't witness the execution, but was there writing about them.

I remember going to the state Penitentiary at Parchman in 1983 for the execution of Jimmy Lee Gray, who was put to death in the gas chamber. I didn't actual witness Gray's execution, but I was part of the team that went up there to cover the execution.

Gray was the 1st Mississippi death row inmate executed in 19 years when he was put to death for the rape and murder of a 3-year-old Pascagoula girl. In those days, executions were carried out after midnight.

After Gray's execution, Mississippi conducted 3 other gas chamber executions in the 1980s.

There were no executions in the 1990s. The next execution was in 2002 when Tracy Alan Hansen became the 1st inmate to die by lethal injection in Mississippi. They became a lot more regular starting with Hansen's execution.

However, there hasn't been an execution in the state in several years now. I thought about my experiences with executions last week when Dean Parker and his brother Scott Parker came to the state Capitol to register their displeasure with the possibility of 1 of the 2 men sentenced to death for the 1990 killing of their father Carl Parker, his wife, Bobbie Jo, the couple's 12-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter.

The Quitman County family was killed in their home after returning from church to find 2 men burglarizing their home.

The girl was raped. Her father's finger was chopped off to steal his wedding ring. After shooting the victims, the killers set the house on fire, leaving the bodies to burn.

Now, 26 years later, the 2 men sentenced to death for the gruesome crime - Anthony Carr and Robert Simon Jr. - are still alive and 1 could possibly get off death row. .

Earlier this month, the Mississippi Supreme Court reversed a lower court's decision that Carr is not mentally disabled and can be executed. The state high court sent the case back to the lower court.

An attorney for Carr in May had appealed to the state high court based on 2002 U.S. Supreme Court Ruling that states cannot execute mentally disabled people. During Carr's appeal in 2013, 2 psychologists disagreed about whether Carr was competent, and a Quitman County circuit judge said it was "too close to call" and upheld his execution.

Tears streamed down the face of Scott Parker at the state Capitol when he talked about how it made him feel that Carr could possibly get off death row.

I could feel Scott Parker's pain. Once in my life, I was firmly opposed to the death penalty, but over the years, I have modified my views or my views have been modified because of the nature of some crimes. I now believe the death penalty is appropriate in some cases.

What is hard to take in the Quitman County case is that 26 years after the horrific crime, the family members of the victims don't have the justice they seek.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/o...ates/89405672/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

On December 6, 2019, Carr filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/mi...9cv00274/43129

Distributed for conference June 18, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-7699.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On June 22, 2020, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Carr's petition for a writ of certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Mississippi
    Case Numbers: (2017-CA-01481-SCT)
    Decision Date: June 6, 2019
    Rehearing Denied: September 12, 2019

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-7699.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information