Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blayde Nathaniel Grayson - Mississippi Death Row

Blayde Nathaniel Grayson - Mississippi Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Was convicted in the 1996 slaying of 78-year-old Minnie Smith during a house burglary. Smith sustained more than 30 stab wounds on the night she died in her rural home at the edge of the Pascagoula River flats. Grayson had confessed to the crime, saying he entered the house through a window and intended to steal a gun to get money for drugs. He said he killed the woman when she woke up unexpectedly.

Death row inmate files post-conviction petition

The Mississippi Supreme Court will consider a post-conviction petition from death row inmate Blayde Grayson.

The case is among dozens before the Supreme Court during its January-February term. The Supreme Court has not scheduled oral arguments in the case.

In a post-conviction petition, an inmate argues he has found new evidence — or a possible constitutional issue — that could persuade a court to order a new trial.

The Supreme Court in 2001 upheld Grayson's capital murder conviction and death sentence.

Grayson, now 37, was convicted in George County in 1997. He was found guilty of the 1996 slaying of 78-year-old Minnie Smith during a house burglary. Authorities say Smith sustained more than 30 stab wounds on the night she died in her rural home at the edge of the Pascagoula River flats.

Court records show Grayson, who was arrested in Florida, had confessed to the crime, saying in a videotape that he entered the house through a window and intended to steal a gun to get money for drugs. He said he killed the woman when she woke up unexpectedly.

The Supreme Court denied Grayson's claim that he was coerced into confessing to the crime. He contended he had demanded an attorney while jailed in Florida and that demand should have followed him on return to Mississippi.

Prosecutors said Grayson signed a waiver of his rights and initiated the interviews in Mississippi and confessed not only in a statement but also on a videotape.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld Grayson's conviction in 2005.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...#ixzz2GXYnfxHf
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Grayson v. Mississippi

Opinion Date: April 18, 2013

Court: Mississippi Supreme Court

Blayde Grayson was indicted for capital murder while in the commission of burglary with the intent to steal personal property. A jury found him guilty of capital murder and, in a separate sentencing proceeding, sentenced him to death. The Supreme Court affirmed Grayson's conviction and death sentence. In early 2003, Grayson filed his first petition seeking post-conviction collateral relief (PCR). The Supreme Court denied relief. Grayson then filed his "Motion for Leave to File Successor Petition for Post-Conviction Relief" and "Motion for Access." Upon review, the Supreme Court concluded that PCR petitioners who have been sentenced to death do have a right to the effective assistance of PCR counsel. Grayson's counsel in his first PCR proceedings before the Supreme Court rendered deficient performance. However, Grayson failed to show that this deficient performance prejudiced him. Therefore, Grayson's claim that he received ineffective assistance of PCR counsel was deemed without merit. Furthermore, Grayson failed to show that his claims met any exceptions to the procedural bars, and his "Motion for Leave to File Successor Petition for Post-Conviction Relief" was dismissed as procedurally barred. Grayson was hereby granted leave to proceed in the circuit court with a motion for access. "As a matter of due process, Grayson should be allowed access to his experts, subject to the rules and regulations of the Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC). Because MDOC's rules and regulations presently require a court order, MDOC should be noticed with the request for access and afforded an opportunity to show cause why its present policies do not violate petitioner's due-process rights."

Court denies Grayson's motion for a rehearing

The Mississippi Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Blayde Grayson's petition for a rehearing.

Grayson was convicted in George County in 1997. He was found guilty of the 1996 slaying of 78-year-old Minnie Smith during a house burglary. Authorities say Smith was stabbed more than 30 times on the night she died in her rural home at the edge of the Pascagoula River flats.

The state Supreme Court upheld Grayson's capital murder conviction and death sentence in 2001.

In April, the court denied Grayson's request to allow him another post-conviction appeal. In a post-conviction petition, an inmate argues he has found new evidence — or a possible constitutional issue — that could persuade a court to order a new trial.

In a ruling Thursday, the court denied his request for a rehearing.

Court records show Grayson, who was arrested in Florida, confessed to the crime, saying in a videotaped statement that he entered the house through a window and intended to steal a gun to get money for drugs. He said he killed the woman when she unexpectedly awakened.

The Supreme Court previously denied Grayson's claim that he was coerced into the confession. He contended he had demanded an attorney while jailed in Florida and that demand should have followed him on return to Mississippi.

Prosecutors said Grayson signed a waiver of his rights and initiated the interviews in Mississippi and confessed in several statement forms, including the videotape.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld Grayson's conviction in 2005.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/08/08/...#storylink=cpy

On September 3, 2004, Grayson filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/mis...04cv00708/5670

Another Mississippi inmate asks state to set execution date

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi death row inmate says he wants the state to start planning his execution. The request by Blayde Nathaniel Grayson was filed in a handwritten letter Friday — weeks after another Mississippi prisoner surrendered appeals and was put to death. Grayson was convicted of capital murder in 1997 in the 1996 stabbing death of 78-year-old Minnie Smith during a burglary of her George County home. Mississippi carried out its first execution in nine years on Nov. 17, giving a lethal injection to David Neal Cox. A jury sentenced Cox to death for killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting his stepdaughter.

https://kyma.com/news/ap-national/20...xecution-date/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Just about to post this. We should see a possible January execution
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Possible January of 2024 which at that point the drugs will be expired and they won't have a new supplier.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Well, they just executed Cox, I can't see why they wouldn't execute another one.

I kinda have to agree. I feel the pessimism is a little too extreme lately. I know this year has kinda been speckledorfed due to the chaplain crap and the TCCA bull in the beginning of the year, but both Oklahoma and Mississippi resumed execution. Not to mention Missouri finally exterminated Johnson and Ogg finally put the gin down and had Rhoades put down. So this year hasn’t been all bad
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information