Thread: Steve Michael Knox - Mississippi Death Row

Steve Michael Knox - Mississippi Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Was sentenced in Franklin County in September 1999 for the October 22, 1998 robbery and murder of retired Liberty school teacher Ella Mae Spears. She had been beaten and strangled.

On June 9, 2005, Knox filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/mis...cv00360/49986/

Knox v. Mississippi

Opinion Date: December 1, 2011

Mississippi Supreme Court

In 2010, sixteen death-sentenced inmates, including Steve Knox (the inmates), filed a complaint in the Chancery Court. The essence of their complaint was that due to defects in both the statutory structure and the performance of the Mississippi Office of Capital Post-Conviction Counsel (MOCPCC), they were deprived of their right to obtain meaningful state post-conviction and federal habeas corpus review of their convictions and death sentences. The inmates requested injunctive relief against the State due to alleged violations of their rights to competent, appointed, post-conviction counsel. The State moved to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. After a hearing, the chancery court found that it lacked subject matter jurisdiction over the complaint because the inmates' "attack on the death sentences and post-conviction judicial reviews of [their] convictions" was cognizable under the Uniform Post-Conviction Collateral Relief Act (UPCCRA). The chancery court dismissed the complaint. Upon review, the Supreme Court affirmed, finding the chancery court lacked jurisdiction over the inmates claims because the claims were embraced by the UPCCRA.

Post-conviction relief denied by the Mississippi Supreme Court.

https://law.justia.com/cases/mississ...me-court/2022/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information