Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Willie Jerome Manning - Mississippi Death Row

DA Dropping Charges Against Willie Jerome Manning in One Set of Murders

Prosecutors will dismiss capital murder charges against Willie Jerome Manning, 46, for the deaths of two Starkville women in 1993 as Manning continues fighting his conviction in a separate case.

Manning is currently on death row at Parchman for two sets of murders: that of Emmoline Jimmerson and her daughter, Alberta Jordan, as well as Jon Steckler and Tiffany Miller.

Charges against Manning in the Jimmerson and Jordan deaths will be dropped, Oktibbeha County District Attorney Forrest Allgood announced April 21.

In February, the Mississippi Supreme Court granted Manning a new trial on the Jimmerson and Jordan charges.

"The State violated Manning's due-process rights by failing to provide favorable, material evidence," Presiding Justice Michael K. Randolph wrote for the majority.

In the case, a key witness named Kevin Lucious had told police that he saw Manning enter the victims' apartment from his own apartment, but police found the apartment where Lucious claimed to live was vacant at the time of the crime, and the apartment manager did not have him listed as a resident.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court agreed with Manning's lawyers that "there is no question that defense counsel would have had the opportunity to meaningfully impeach Lucious' testimony that he lived in the apartment at the time of the crime and saw Manning enter the victims' apartment."

Manning is also accused in the December 1992 slayings of Mississippi State University students Steckler and Miller. The state wanted a May 7, 2013, execution date for Manning in that case, but the state Supreme Court blocked the execution hours before it was scheduled. Justices didn't explain the action, but Manning had argued that DNA tests would prove him innocent.

Allgood stressed that Manning would remain on death row for his convictions in the Steckler and Miller deaths.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news...rome-manning-/

Attorneys hope DNA tests will clear Miss. death row inmate

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
    The Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. — Attorneys for Mississippi death row inmate Willie Jerome Manning say they hope results of recent DNA tests will exonerate him and get him out of prison.

Manning, now 46, has been on death row for nearly half his life and came within hours of being put to death in May 2013 for the slayings of two college students more than 20 years earlier. The state Supreme Court indefinitely delayed the execution to allow further consideration of Manning's capital murder convictions.

Manning was convicted in two sets of slayings in Oktibbeha County.

One conviction, in 1994, was for the killing of two Mississippi State University students, Jon Steckler and Tiffany Miller, in late 1992.

The other conviction, in 1996, was for the killing of a 90-year-old Emmoline Jimmerson and her 60-year-old daughter, Alberta Jordan, during a robbery of their Starkville apartment in 1993. The women were beaten and their throats were slashed.

In February, the state Supreme Court ordered a new trial for Manning in the slayings of Jimmerson and Jordan after justices found that investigators had not given prosecutors and defense attorneys all of their evidence about a key witness who testified against Manning. In late April, prosecutors said they would not put Manning on trial again because the witness had recanted his testimony against Manning.

http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.co...th-6263664.php

Appeal denied for death row inmate accused of murdering MSU students

By Caleb Sanders
    Super Talk Mississippi

The Mississippi State Supreme Court has denied an appeal from Willie “Fly” Manning who is sitting on death row after being convicted of capital murder.

Manning was found guilty of murdering Mississippi State University students Jon Steckler and Tiffany Miller and was convicted of two counts of capital murder in 1994.

The death row inmate had also been involved in another double-murder case, but his charges were dropped after the Mississippi Supreme Court discovered that prosecutors had hidden evidence of a key witness lying.

Days prior to his scheduled execution in May 2013, the U.S. Justice Department and the FBI found that faulty DNA evidence had been used to convict Manning of the capital murder charges.

Manning then filed an appeal requesting for his DNA samples to be tested at a different lab than the one the FBI had used.

Despite Manning’s request, the Mississippi State Supreme Court believed it had enough evidence to deny the appeal by using DNA evidence and fingerprint analysis from one of Manning’s previous rulings.

https://www.supertalk.fm/appeal-deni...-msu-students/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Mississippi justices block more DNA tests in death row case

A Mississippi Supreme Court has ruled that a death row inmate will not be allowed to seek additional DNA testing on crime scene evidence from the shooting deaths of 2 college students nearly 30 years ago.

Willie Jerome Manning, now 54, remains in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman. He was convicted in 1994 on 2 counts of capital murder in the December 1992 killings of Mississippi State University students Jon Steckler and Tiffany Miller in Oktibbeha County.

In 2013, shortly before Manning was scheduled to be executed, the U.S. Justice Department said there had been errors in FBI agents’ testimony about ballistics tests and hair analysis in the case. Manning’s attorneys asked the Mississippi Supreme Court to stop the lethal injection, and justices voted 8-1 to delay the execution to allow the testing of evidence.

Manning’s attorneys said they hoped DNA testing would exonerate their client, who has maintained his innocence. In 2014, they sent a rape kit, fingernail scrapings and other items to a laboratory. One of the attorneys, Rob Mink of Jackson, said the objective of the testing was to answer whether any DNA was attributable to Manning.

In the ruling Thursday, a majority of state Supreme Court justices wrote that Manning received “allegedly inconclusive results" after 6 years of fingerprint analysis and DNA testing.

Manning’s attorneys asked an Oktibbeha County circuit judge for permission to send items to a more specialized lab. The judge denied that request, and a majority of justices on Thursday agreed with the judge’s ruling.

“If additional testing had been granted and another individual’s DNA profile was discovered from the crime scene evidence, no proof has been shown that it would change the outcome of Manning’s case,” Justice Robert Chamberlin wrote for the majority.

Mink told The Associated Press on Friday that he is disappointed in the ruling.

“We’re considering right now what options he has for additional relief," Mink said.

The ruling noted that during the trial, Manning’s cousin testified that Manning confessed to shooting the two students. The bodies of Steckler and Miller were found in rural Oktibbeha County, and Miller’s car was missing. The car was found the next morning.

Prosecutors said Manning was arrested after he tried to sell items belonging to the victims.

Justices Leslie King and Jim Kitchens dissented from the majority ruling Thursday. King wrote that any potential harm in waiting for additional DNA testing at a specialized lab “is surely minimal considering that Manning has been sentenced to death."

Manning is black, and Steckler and Miller were white. During Manning’s trial, an FBI agent testified that some hair found at the crime scene was “from an individual of the black race," but that did not mean the hair came from Manning. In closing arguments, a prosecutor mentioned the hair fragments “as a way to implicate Manning because he was a member of the African-American race," wrote King, the only black justice currently on the Mississippi Supreme Court.

A 2013 letter from the FBI said the agent’s testimony in 1994 included information about DNA testing of hair that contradicted what was known about such testing 9 years later, Mink said.

(source: themississippilink.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Manning's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Mississippi
    Case Numbers: (2020-CA-01096-SCT)
    Decision Date: June 30, 2022
    Rehearing Denied: November 10, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...23zor_5368.pdf

Manning filed a petition for post-conviction relief to the MSC on 9/28/23.

https://courts.ms.gov/index.php?cn=97088#dispArea
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Today a motion was filed for Manning’s stay of execution to be lifted and new date set.

https://courts.ms.gov/appellatecourt...=97088&a=N&s=2

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Don't Mississippi's drugs expire at the end of the year? Unless they got more? Is there enough time to set at least one of them for December?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

They're supposed to use firing squad if they don't have drugs.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Actually, Mike, the law that was passed law year states that if lethal injection drugs are unavailable, the DOC gets to choose the method of execution, which are Nitrogen Gas, Electrocution and Firing Squad.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information