Thread: Alan Dale Walker - Mississippi Death Row

Alan Dale Walker - Mississippi Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Sentenced to death for the 1990 rape and murder of 19-year-old Konya Edwards of Long Beach.

On March 27, 2012, Walker's habeas petition was denied in Federal District Court.

http://www.leagle.com/xmlresult.aspx...urr&SizeDisp=7

Miss. death row inmate returns to state court with post-conviction petition

A man sentenced to death for raping and drowning a 19-year-old Long Beach woman has asked the Mississippi Supreme Court to vacate his sentence or give him a new trial, saying his attorneys were inadequate.

Alan Dale Walker said in court documents his attorneys were inadequate at two stages of his case — during the penalty phase of his trial and in the following post-conviction proceedings.

Walker has lost one post-conviction round before the Mississippi high court. A federal court also rejected his claims in 2012.

Walker said some of his arguments had not been raised in previous motions in the state Supreme Court. Among those arguments are that his post-conviction lawyers did challenge the ineffectiveness of his defense team at his capital murder trial.

Walker, now 47, was convicted of kidnapping, raping and drowning Konya Edwards on Sept. 8, 1990. She met Walker in a nightclub and an accomplice testified Walker forced the woman into sexual acts at Crystal Lake in Harrison County. The accomplice said he and Walker held Edwards under the water until she died.

Walker was sentenced to death in 1991. He was given consecutive sentences of 35 years for rape and 30 years for kidnapping.

The case is among dozens before the Mississippi court in its July-August term. Oral arguments are not scheduled.

In 2003, the state high court denied Walker's petition to file a post-conviction appeal. The court said Walker had raised no new issues that could persuade a judge to grant him a new trial. The U.S. Supreme Court denied a petition from Walker in 2004.

In 2009, Walker and two other death row inmates lost a challenge to Mississippi's method of lethal injection. The courts found inmates waited too long to file a lawsuit challenging the combination of drugs the state uses to put inmates to death. The other two inmates have since been executed.

In 2012, U.S. District Judge Keith Starrett denied Walker's arguments, including one that challenged the performance of his defense attorney. Walker has asked Starrett to reconsider his ruling.

The judge has put the proceedings in his court on hold until the Mississippi Supreme Court handles Walker's latest appeal.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/sto...enalty-Appeal/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Mississippi death row inmate wins high court appeal

The Mississippi Supreme Court has ordered a Harrison County judge to determine if Alan Dale Walker was given adequate legal representation during a sentencing hearing in which he got the death penalty.

Alan Dale Walker said in court documents his attorneys were inadequate at 2 stages of his case - during the penalty phase of his trial and in the following post-conviction proceedings.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision Thursday, said Walker has shown that he was prejudiced by the actions of his attorney and hearing was needed.

The court said if the Harrison County judge finds that Walker's legal representation was deficient, he will vacate the death sentence and hold a new sentencing hearing.

Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. and 3 other justices said none of the information provided the court by Walker was good enough to support his claim that his attorney didn't do a good job.

Walker, now 47, was convicted of kidnapping, raping and drowning Konya Edwards on Sept. 8, 1990. She met Walker in a nightclub and an accomplice testified Walker forced the woman into sexual acts at Crystal Lake in Harrison County. The accomplice said he and Walker held Edwards under the water until she died.

Walker was sentenced to death in 1991. He was given consecutive sentences of 35 years for rape and 30 years for kidnapping.

(Source: The Clarion Ledger)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Death Row inmate gains access to psychologist

HARRISON COUNTY -- The Mississippi Supreme Court has ruled Death Row inmate Alan Dale Walker has a right to be visited by a neuropsychologist in preparation for a post-conviction evidentiary hearing.

A 5-4 decision handed down Thursday said Dr. Robert Shaffer should not be denied access to Walker, who has been on Death Row since he received the death penalty Aug. 12, 1991.

Walker, 50, was convicted in the Sept. 8, 1990, kidnapping, rape and drowning of Konya Rebecca Edwards, 19, at Crystal Lake in Harrison County. Walker was prosecuted in Warren County.

Walker had asked that the doctor be allowed to visit him in preparation for a hearing.

Harrison County Circuit Court Judge Chris Schmidt denied the request Nov. 4, 2015, with no finding that allowing the doctor access would violate rules and regulations of the state prison system, the order said.

Death Row inmates should have access to their experts as long as it violates no rules or regulations and doesn't violate an inmate's due-process rights, said Associate Justice James W. Kitchens, writing for the court.

Walker has filed several appeals, to include claiming his legal representation was inadequate and wanting a new sentencing hearing.

The costs of the latest appeal will be billed to Harrison County.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/...e57137913.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Death row inmate Alan Dale Walker trying again to get his sentence overturned

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - The man on death row for the 1990 murder of 18-year-old Konya Edwards back in court Thursday morning. Alan Dale Walker is trying again, in Harrison County Circuit Court in Gulfport to get his sentence overturned. Walker has been on death row for more than two decades.

Edwards died after being beaten and raped. Her body was set on fire and thrown into a lake.

Walker is also currently serving a 30-year sentence for rape, and 35 years for kidnapping in the same case.

Walker has tried at least three other times to get his death sentence overturned. Once the judge makes a ruling on Thursday's attempt, we'll bring that to you on wlox digital and WLOX News.

http://www.wdam.com/story/33844672/d...nce-overturned

Alan Dale Walker v. State of Mississippi
    Date: June 3, 2021
    Citation: 2018-CA-01059-SCT
    The Motion to File Motion for Attorney Fees Under Seal filed by counsel for Appellant is granted. The Motion for Approval of Attorney Fees filed by counsel for Appellant is granted. All Justices Agree. Order entered 5/28/21.

https://law.justia.com/cases/mississ...me-court/2021/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference June 24, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-1306.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Mississippi
    Case Numbers: (2018-CA-01059-SCT)
    Decision Date: October 8, 2020
    Rehearing Denied: October 8, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-1306.html

Thread Information