Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Byron Lewis Black - Tennessee Death Row

It was pushed back to April 8.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Pathetic.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Well now they’re going to look like clowns if they don’t push Nichols back.
    Last edited by NanduDas; 06-12-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Here is the Stay of Execution Order and rescheduled for April 8, 2021.

https://files.deathpenaltyinfo.org/d...2020-06-12.pdf
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

To clear the air here on why Nichols hasn't been stayed yet.

Execution was stayed because.

"Mr. Black has filed a motion to reset his execution date, arguing the COVID-19 restrictions impede his ability to complete testing necessary to support his petition and to ensure the availability of the requisite experts."
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

The denial of Nichols' appeal offers better explanations as to why they felt Nichols was not similarly situated to Smith or Black. The in-person restrictions and court closures that hampered Smith do not hamper Nichols now. Black is attempting to prepare for a competency hearing. Nichols is not.

It's a shame TN didn't treat Smith like MO treated Barton. Barton was given a date after Smith for a sooner date, had the same impediments, and the state basically told him tough luck.

At this point it is literally the Chad Missouri vs. The Virgin Every Other State.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Tennessee inmate’s execution put on hold due to COVID-19

By TRAVIS LOLLER
    The Associated Press

The Tennessee Supreme Court on Thursday indefinitely postponed the execution of death row inmate Byron Black.

In a brief order issued on Thursday, the court wrote that Black's execution is stayed pending a further order by the court “because of the multiple issues caused by the continuing COVID-19 pandemic.”

Black was convicted by a Nashville court of murdering his girlfriend Angela Clay and her daughters Latoya, 9, and Lakesha, 6, at their home in 1988. Prosecutors said he shot the three during a jealous rage. Black was on work release at the time for shooting and wounding Clay’s estranged husband.

Black was originally scheduled for execution on Oct. 8, and the court had previously ordered a postponement until April 8, 2021.

Black’s lead attorney, Kelley Henry, filed the petition for a second delay last month after contracting COVID-19 during a visit to a federal prisoner she is representing in Texas. Henry argued that her illness, combined with logistical problems caused by the virus, would make it difficult to prepare for a January hearing on whether Black is mentally competent to be executed. The virus also complicates Black’s attorneys’ efforts to prepare his clemency petition, Henry argued.

State Attorney General Herbert Slatery opposed the request for delay as premature. In a court filing on Nov. 20, attorneys for the state argued that the average time for recovery from the virus is between two and six weeks.

“It would be reasonable to anticipate that the virus would have time to run its course well before Black’s competency petition can be filed or his hearing takes place,” the state argued.

Three other Tennessee inmates have also had their executions put on hold because of the virus.

Gov. Bill Lee last month granted a a reprieve from execution to Pervis Payne from Dec. 3 until April 9 “due to the challenges and disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.” Lee granted another reprieve in July to Harold Nichols, and the Tennessee Supreme Court issued an earlier reprieve to Oscar Smith.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cen-us%2cen-us

I don't know why they just don't go out and say we don't want to execute people anymore. Kicking the can down the road like this makes things worse for the victims families who have to deal with these fake dates.
    Last edited by Mike; 12-03-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah, I don't think TN is going to execute again. They had a decent little run but oh well. Although I suppose the competence hearing makes this different. Smith will be the litmus test.

Florida won’t either. It’s only a matter of time before the last execution is going to be carried out and it’ll more than likely be less than 10 years I don’t think Alito and Thomas can hold on.

I’m really starting to lose faith in my state. There is absolutely no reason to stay these executions. If Missouri, Texas, and the Feds can do it, Tennessee can do it.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information