Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Douglas Hall - Tennessee Death Row

John Douglas Hall - Tennessee Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Jon Douglas Hall was convicted of first-degree murder, and sentenced to death on February 5, 1997 for the July 29, 1994 strangulation and drowning of his wife.

No. 12-8574 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Jon Douglas Hall, Petitioner
    v.
    Roland Colson, Warden, et al.
    Docketed: February 6, 2013
    Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Tennessee, Middle Division
    Case Nos.: (M2011-00858-CCA-R3-HC)
    Decision Date: March 16, 2012
    Discretionary Court
    Decision Date: September 21, 2012
    Rehearing Denied: October 11, 2012

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dec 25 2012 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due March 8, 2013)
    Mar 6 2013 Brief of respondents Roland Colson, Warden, et al. in opposition filed.
    Mar 18 2013 Reply of petitioner Jon Douglas Hall filed. (Distributed)
    Mar 21 2013 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 12, 2013.
    Apr 15 2013 Petition DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/12-8574.htm

On July 14, 2005, Hall filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ten...5cv01199/41864

On March 30, 2015, Hall's habeas petition was DENIED.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...1199/41864/148

On April 29, 2015, Hall filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...ts/ca6/15-5436

On October 11, 2016, the Sixth Circuit DENIED Hall's appeal. On December 1, 2016, the Sixth Circuit DENIED Hall's petition for en banc rehearing.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....es\16-7238.htm
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Hall's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (10-5658, 15-5436)
    Decision Date: October 11, 2016
    Rehearing Denied: December 1, 2016

Appeals exhausted. Ruling could result in execution date.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

On January 30, 2019, oral argument will be heard in Hall's successive appeal before the Sixth Circuit. The panel will be made up of Judges Batchelder (G.H.W. Bush), Clay (Clinton) and Griffin (G.W. Bush).

https://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/sites/c...282019_arg.pdf

The Sixth Circuit has denied Hall’s appeal and affirmed the district court’s denial of his habeas petition.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...021-08-03.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

En banc rehearing denied September 21, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...ile%20Cert.pdf

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Final appeal distributed for conference April 22, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7186.html

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Some details of the crime ("petitioner" refers to Jon Douglas Hall):

The following facts were developed at the petitioner’s trial and noted by the supreme court in the direct appeal. See Hall, 8 S.W.3d at 596-99. The petitioner and the victim were married, and the victim had two daughters, Jennifer and Cynthia, from a previous relationship of the victim. The couple had two more daughters, Stephanie and Jessica. The youngest, Jessica, suffered from cerebral palsy. In 1994, the victim and the petitioner began having marital problems and were living separately.

On the night of July 29, 1994, the petitioner went to the victim’s house to discuss a reconciliation. He brought a $25.00 money order made out to the victim as a payment toward child support. Prior to entering the house, the petitioner disconnected the telephone line at the utility box on the outside wall of the house. When the victim answered the door, the petitioner pushed his way into the room where she and the children were watching television. The petitioner told the girls to go to bed. When they did not immediately obey his order, the petitioner tipped over the chair in which the victim was sitting. The petitioner and the victim went back into her bedroom. The children, who had gone into their bedrooms, could hear “[t]hings slamming around” and their parents yelling at each another. When the children tried to enter the room, they found the door blocked. The three oldest children, Jennifer, Cynthia and Stephanie, persisted in their efforts to get into the room and finally succeeded. They attempted to stop the petitioner from hurting their mother. Cynthia jumped on the petitioner’s back and bit him. This did not stop the petitioner’s attack. When the victim told the children to go to a neighbor’s house, the petitioner told them that if they went for help, “he was going to kill Mama.” He also told the victim, a college student, that she would never live to graduate. Cynthia and Stephanie tried to use the telephone to call for help, but they discovered the telephones would not work. At that point, they went to a neighbor’s house where they called 9-1-1. Jennifer, the oldest child, was the last to leave the house, carrying her sister Jessica. Before she left, she saw her mother and the petitioner leave the bedroom and go outside. She watched the petitioner drag her mother, “kicking and screaming,” to the small pool in the back yard.

The first officer to arrive on the scene was Chief Jerry Bingham of the Henderson County Sheriff’s Department. Upon his arrival, he found the victim’s body floating face down in the water. He immediately called Emergency Medical Services and a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) investigator. TBI Agent Brian Byrd arrived on the scene shortly after midnight.

Agent Byrd entered the house and found the master bedroom in disarray. Bloodstains marked the bed, a counter top, and a wedding dress. The telephones inside the house were off their hooks. A $25.00 money order made out to the victim and dated the day of the murder was found inside the house. No weapons were found. A trail of dragmarks and bloodstainsled from the master bedroom, out the front door, over the driveway, past the sandbox, and down to the pool in the back yard. The victim’s t-shirt was lying beside the pool. Clumps of grass ripped from the ground floated in the blood-tinged water of the pool. Outside the front door of the house the telephone junction box was opened, and the telephone line was disconnected. The grass and weeds near this box were matted down.

Dr. O’Brien Clay Smith, the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy, testified that the primary cause of death was asphyxia resulting from a combination of manual strangulation and drowning. He could not say with certainty that either strangulation or drowning was the exclusive cause of death. Evidence supporting strangling as a contributing cause of death included bruising on the left and right sides of the victim’s neck, hemorrhaging in the neck muscles around the hyoid bone in the neck, and bleeding in the thyroid gland, which indicated that extensive compression had been applied to the neck. Evidence supporting drowning as a contributing cause of death was water found in both the victim’s stomach and in her bloodstream.

Before dying, the victim sustained at least eighty-three separate wounds, including several blows to the head, a fractured nose, multiple lacerations, and bruises and abrasions to the chest,abdomen, genitals, arms, legs and back. Abrasions on the victim’s back were consistent with having been dragged across pavement. Dr. Smith described some of the injuries to the victim’s arms, legs and hands as defensive wounds. He characterized the injuries to the neck, face and head as intentional “target” wounds. Except for the physical trauma associated with the strangulation, however, none of the injuries would have proven fatal.

Chris Dutton, who was confined in a cell next to the petitioner, testified that while both men were incarcerated, the petitioner confided in him about his wife’s murder. When describing what happened on the night of the murder, the petitioner told Dutton that he had tried to talk with the victim about reconciling but “[a]ll she was interested in was the money.” When she refused to consider his plea for reconciliation and demanded that he leave, “his temper got the best of him and he began to strike her.” According to Dutton, the petitioner had determined, even before he arrived at his wife’s house, “to make her feel as he did. He wanted her to suffer as he did, feel the helplessness that he was feeling because she took his world away from him.” The petitioner told Dutton that he hit his wife in the head until he panicked, threw her in the swimming pool, then re-entered the house, took the car keys, and drove away in the victim’s minivan. "

Source: Except from The Written Opinion by Judge Joseph M. Tipton in Jon Hall v. State of Tennesse - Court of Criminal Appeals of Tennessee at Jackson - October 5, 2004 Session
    PDF: https://www.tncourts.gov/sites/defau...51/halljon.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information