Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Christa Gail Pike - Tennessee Death Row

On August 27, 2020, an execution date was requested for Pike.

http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/defaul..._2020aug27.pdf
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Slatery is a pro. The Tennessee Supreme Court and Bill Lee need to find their balls again.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

He also requested dates for Tony Carruthers, Henry Hodges, and Donald Middlebrooks back in December 2019.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member Member
    Possibly summer 2021 for Pike’s death date?

No it’ll likely be 2022 at earliest

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Tennessee Is Seeking an Execution Date for the Only Woman on the State’s Death Row

By Steven Hale
    Nashville Scene

The rhythm of regular executions in Tennessee was interrupted in 2020 by the coronavirus pandemic, halting the resurgence of the state’s death penalty — which saw seven men put to death in less than two years. After Nick Sutton was executed in February of last year, four executions scheduled throughout the rest of the year were called off due to the pandemic, either by the Tennessee Supreme Court or Gov. Bill Lee. But the process of moving the condemned closer to the death chamber did not stop completely.

On Aug. 27, Tennessee Attorney General Herbert Slatery’s office asked the state Supreme Court to set an execution date for Christa Pike, the only woman on Tennessee’s death row. Her attorneys were granted a series of extensions by the court, giving them more time to respond with their argument as to why Pike shouldn’t be scheduled for death. Initially, Pike’s attorneys asked for more time because one of them was also representing someone facing execution on federal death row amid the execution spree carried out by then-President Donald Trump’s Department of Justice. The state did not oppose the extensions, the last of which was granted on March 5. But on Monday, Pike’s attorneys filed their arguments against setting an execution date. The filing clears the way for the court to decide on the matter, and if it schedules a date for Pike, Tennessee will be set to execute a woman for the first time in roughly 200 years. Only 17 women have been executed — by state governments or the federal government — since the beginning of the death penalty’s so-called modern era in 1976.

Tennessee came within months of executing a woman a little more than a decade ago. Gaile Owens had been sentenced to death for hiring a hitman to murder her brutally abusive husband. But in 2010, with Owens’ Sept. 28 execution date approaching, prominent Nashvillians and supporters around the country rallied behind her, calling for her life to be spared. In July 2010, then-Gov. Phil Bredesen commuted her sentence. She was released on parole a little more than a year later. Owens died in 2019 at age 67.

Pike was sentenced to death in 1996 for the murder of Colleen Slemmer while the two were attending a youth job-training program in Knoxville. Pike was 18 at the time and had reportedly come to believe that the 19-year-old Slemmer was trying to steal her boyfriend, then-17-year-old Tadaryl Shipp. The killing was horrific. Shipp, Pike and a third teen named Shadolla Peterson lured Slemmer to a secluded, wooded area. There, according to court documents, they tortured Slemmer, slashing her with a box cutter, cutting her with a meat cleaver and eventually beating her over the head with chunks of asphalt after she tried to run away. Pike, court documents say, kept a piece of Slemmer’s skull, which police later found in her jacket pocket. The murder was — and has continued to be over the years — the object of the particular sort of grim fascination reserved for killings carried out by women. In addition, Pike and Shipp were said to have dabbled in satanism, and Slemmer’s body was found with a pentagram carved into her chest.

Pike, who is 45 now, was 19 when she was convicted — making her one of the youngest women ever sentenced to death. In the 25 years since her conviction, she’s made headlines on more than one occasion. In 2004, she was convicted of attempted first-degree murder for trying to strangle another incarcerated woman, Patricia Jones, and nearly succeeding. In 2012, authorities announced that they’d arrested two men — one of them a former prison guard — for their role in an escape plan they’d been plotting with Pike.

But Pike’s attorneys say that the young woman who committed her heinous crime was, like so many of the people on Tennessee’s death row, the product of abuse and mental illness.

“Before her arrest at age eighteen, Pike had a horrific childhood,” Pike’s attorneys write in the filing. “Before she was even born, she suffered brain damage. Then, from the time she was a small child, she endured abuse, neglect, multiple violent rapes, and suffered from severe mental illness.”

Pike’s mother, they write, was an alcoholic who drank heavily with Pike in her womb. Later, a series of her mother’s romantic partners abused the young girl physically and sexually, they write. She was raped at least twice, the filing says, including once in her preteen years. Years later, she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The filing also emphasizes Pike’s youth at the time of the murder and the arbitrary nature of her sentence when compared to the others who participated in the killing. Had she been just slightly younger, Pike would have been ineligible for the death penalty, just like her boyfriend.

“Mr. Shipp was 17 years old at the time of Ms. Slemmer’s death,” her attorneys write. “Christa Pike was 18. That is the difference between a death sentence and parole eligibility in 2028. That difference cannot be equated with increased maturity or brain development.”

If Pike’s history of abuse and mental illness make her similar to the vast majority of people on death row, her attorneys argue that the court should give particular consideration to the ways she is unique.

“The Attorney General asks this Court to direct the Tennessee Department of Correction to commit an extraordinary act,” they write. “TDOC personnel would be required to execute a severely mentally ill, braindamaged, and traumatized child who became the teenager who committed a terrible crime. Christa would be the first woman Tennessee executes in over 200 years, the first teenaged offender Tennessee executes in the modern era, and the only teenaged female offender to be executed in the United States since the death penalty was found to be unconstitutional in 1972.”

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/...ates-death-row
    Last edited by Julius; 06-08-2021 at 05:49 AM.

Victim's mom asks for Christa Pike's execution date to be set

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Colleen Slemmer's mom is asking the courts to set an execution date for her daughter's killer.

Christa Gail Pike, now 45, was convicted for killing Slemmer in 1996 and sentenced to death.

"Honestly, my heart breaks every single day because I keep reliving it and reliving it," said May Martinez, the victim's mother.

Last week, Pike's attorneys asked the Tennessee Supreme Court to commute Pike's death sentence. They argued that Pike suffers from severe mental illness and brain damage from childhood abuse, and a mental health expert still needs to meet with her. The evaluation was delayed because of the pandemic.

"She recognizes her childhood trauma and mental illness do not excuse her actions as an 18-year-old girl," Pike's attorneys said in a statement. "But she asks that her sentence be commuted to life imprisonment, a commutation that reflects the punishment imposed on other young people who, like Christa, committed crimes while they lacked the maturity and reasoning of adults."

The Supreme Court declined to review the case in June 2020. In October of that year, the Tennessee Attorney General asked the state's Supreme Court to set an execution date.

Pike, her boyfriend, Tadaryl Shipp, and their friend, Shadolla Peterson, plotted to lure Slemmer out with the promise of smoking marijuana. Pike and Shipp then tortured and beat Slemmer. They cut a pentagram in her chest. Pike bashed Slemmer's skull with a chunk of asphalt.

Investigators estimated the torture lasted 45 minutes.

Pike kept a piece of Slemmer's skull as a souvenir. Slemmer's mom still hasn't gotten that piece back. Martinez said she won't get it back from the courts until Pike is executed.

Shipp was a minor at the time of the murder and received a life sentence.

Martinez said while Pike and Shipp have been in jail, they have been giving interviews on her daughter's death.

"They both get fame from it. And I just want Christa down so I can end it," Martinez said.

Since her sentencing, Pike tried to kill a fellow inmate and escape jail.

"I want this to happen before I die," Martinez said. "Otherwise, nobody will see justic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbi...5-d7de4fe05e9a

HUNTER: Death row damsel Christa Pike wants sentence commuted

Christa Pike was going to the electric chair.

That’s what the young killer wanted. No more appeals. No more reports from shrinks.

The date was set for Aug. 19, 2002, at the death house in the Riverbend Maximum Security Institution outside Nashville, Tenn.

I interviewed Pike in the spring of that year and it is something I’ve never forgotten. She terrified me and the glass between us couldn’t change that.

At the time, she was the youngest woman on death row in America.

Now, Pike’s lawyers are fighting to have her sentence commuted to life in prison. Her mouthpieces argued that the now 45-year-old Pike suffers from “severe mental illness and brain damage from childhood abuse”.

They say a mental health expert still needs to meet with her. This hasn’t happened in the 25 years she’s been caged?

When I met Pike on death row, she sent shivers down my spine. Her eyes were dead. The eyes of a killer.

In 1996, Pike stabbed love rival Colleen Slemmer nearly 200 times with an X-Acto knife in Knoxville.

At the time, Pike was 18-years-old when a judge sentenced her to death.

May Martinez wants Pike iced. The sooner the better.

She was Slemmer’s mother and for her, the agonizing process has dragged on far too long.

“Honestly, my heart breaks every single day because I keep reliving it and reliving it,” Martinez told WBIR.

And the details are sickening.

Pike, her boyfriend, Tadaryl Shipp, and their friend, Shadolla Peterson, lured Slemmer to a nearby woods with the promise of smoking marijuana.

The raven-haired killer and Shipp then tortured and beat Slemmer for 45 harrowing minutes and then cut a pentagram in her chest.

For good measure Pike bashed Slemmer’s skull with a chunk of asphalt.

And Pike kept a piece of the dead girl’s skull as a souvenir. Cops say the devastated mom will not get it back until Pike is executed.

Because Shipp was a minor at the time of the torture killing, he was given a life sentence.

When I interviewed, Pike outlined an extremely brutal childhood complete with physical, sexual and emotional abuse. She was unloved in a way few children are.

That turned her ice cold and capable of the heinous crime she was convicted of.

“She recognizes her childhood trauma and mental illness do not excuse her actions as an 18-year-old girl,” Pike’s lawyers said in a statement.

“But she asks that her sentence be commuted to life imprisonment, a commutation that reflects the punishment imposed on other young people who, like Christa, committed crimes while they lacked the maturity and reasoning of adults.”

The Supreme Court refused to review the case in June 2020. Last October the Tennessee Attorney General asked the state’s Supreme Court to set an execution date.

During her long incarceration, Pike tried to murder a fellow jailbird and plotted to escape her cage.

“I just want Christa down so I can end it,” Martinez said.

“I want this to happen before I die. Otherwise, nobody will see justice.”

Tennessee is a southern state and there is very little hesitation in applying the death penalty. The electric chair awaits.

Pike’s shot at a normal, healthy life was unlikely from the minute she took her first breath. May Martinez doesn’t care.

She just wants to see the killer breathe her last.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toronto...e6701f749/amp/

Senior Member Member
    i am very discouraged that this torturer, murderer is not gone yet. how can she sit there and plead for her life after doing what she did. the mom in this case needs peace immediately. Even though I am a minister, that does not change my point about the death penalty. I don't "want" the death penalty, but if people did not murder, there would not be executions. I do not wish for this execution for this beastly female for joy, but that girl's mom really needs whole, and complete closure. I hope and pray that the mom of this girl will not pass on before this beast is gone for good. maybe moving her to texas would make it successful? okay that is impossible, but she really needs to go just as bad as blanche tyler moore
    Last edited by Madeline331; 04-26-2022 at 11:49 AM. Reason: incomplete

Senior Member Member
    still wishing this one would be next!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information