Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Edward Johnson - Tennessee Execution - May 16, 2019

I believe Lee will spare Johnson. If he does, don't panic. He isn't going to spare scum like West or Hall, where victims families want execution.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

If Donnie Johnson is DENIED by Governor Bill Lee, Johnson is scheduled for execution by lethal injection Thursday May 16 in Nashville. Johnson could have opted for the electric chair as an alternative means to execution. If carried out, it would be the 10th execution since executions resumed in the modern era.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

TENNESSEE - impending execution

Selection Of Official Media Witnesses

In accordance with state law, representatives from the following news media agencies have been selected to witness the execution of inmate Donnie Johnson #109031. The witnesses were randomly selected from applications from recognized Tennessee news organizations to serve as statutorily required witnesses.

Seven media witnesses were selected by the Tennessee Department of Correction during a drawing held at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution located at 7475 Cockrill Bend Boulevard, Nashville, TN. The drawing took place on Tuesday, April 30th at 9 a.m. CT.

The witnesses are:

1. Travis Loller, Associated Press
    2. Adam Tamburin, The Tennessean
    3. Chas Sisk, WPLN
    4. Kathrine Burgess, The Commercial Appeal
    5. Jeni Diprizio, WATN-TV
    6. Janice Broach, WMC
    7. Luke Jones, WREG-TV

The drawing was conducted in accordance with the Rules of the Tennessee Department of Correction Adult Services Division, Chapter 0420-3-4, under the authority of TCA 40-23-116.

(source: tn.gov)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Their father killed their mother. Now, the siblings disagree on whether he should be executed.

Sometimes, you can start in the same home — in this case, a house in Covington, Tennessee — and end up different places.

Jason Johnson and Cynthia Vaughn grew up together. In 1984, the two siblings lost both their parents: Their mother, Connie Johnson, they lost to murder. They lost their father, who had adopted Vaughn when he married Connie, when he was condemned to death row for that murder.

Today, days before their father is expected to be executed for the killings, the siblings couldn't be further apart.

Jason Johnson, 38, plans to see his father executed on May 16, “not to see him die,” he said, “just to see my family actually have some closure.”

Cynthia Vaughn, Jason Johnson's half-sister, wants her adoptive father to live. She’s even begged the governor for mercy.

Donnie Johnson, investigators revealed, had shoved a plastic trash bag down his wife’s throat, suffocating her to death, and left her body in a mall parking lot just weeks before Christmas.

At the time, Jason Johnson was 4 and Vaughn was 7. Afterward, they went to live with an aunt, but have since grown apart.

Donnie Johnson, who now goes by Don, converted to Christianity behind bars, his attorneys wrote in an application for clemency filed in March.

The man who admits to killing his wife is now an elder in the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

But Jason Johnson believes his father’s story of redemption is all a con.

“He’s an evil human being. He can talk Christianity and all that,” he said. “That is all my father is. That’s all he’s ever been, is a con man.”

Don Johnson himself acknowledges that he has been a con man: His attorneys said so in his petition for clemency. But the petition also said he was transformed.

And Vaughn said she believes that transformation. The petition for clemency hinges on how Vaughn, who declined through her father’s attorneys to speak to reporters, has forgiven her father.

“Over these past few years, Don has become one of my last connections to my mother, and his execution will not feel like justice to me,” Vaughn wrote in an opinion piece for The Tennessean. “It will feel like losing my mother all over again.”

Vaughn remembered more of what happened after they moved in with an aunt, Jason Johnson said — but he said he remembers growing up and being made fun of because his father had killed his mother.

Despite his childhood, Jason Johnson wants people to know that he turned out alright: He runs equipment for a construction company in Alabama and has two children. He was happily married for 16 years until his wife passed away in February.

For Vaughn, it was a 2012 meeting with her stepfather that took her from hating him to letting the anger go and finding healing, she wrote.

Don Johnson, who answered written questions from the USA TODAY Network - Tennessee through his attorneys, said meeting with Vaughn was “the most humbling experience” of his life.

“(My relationship with Cynthia) is one of the richest blessings a father could hope for,” he said. “Something I carry with joy in my heart, each and every day.”

Jason Johnson also met his father in person while he was on death row — several times, around 1999. He called him too, he said, and wanted to give him a chance.

His meetings didn’t end like Vaughn’s. Rather, he said his father tried to control his life, and eventually he cut ties.

Don Johnson wrote that he is estranged from his son.

“I pray that one day he can forgive me for my wrongs, for my responsibility for the loss of his mother, and for my inability to be the father he so deserves,” he wrote.

Jason Johnson said he doesn’t understand his sister’s point of view — after all, she hated their father passionately for years. Now, the two siblings aren’t in contact.

When he learned that she was part of the clemency petition, Jason Johnson called the governor’s office to tell them another side, he said.

“If he found redemption, that doesn’t matter, that’s between him and God,” Jason Johnson said. “His forgiveness is to come from the Lord and his redemption is to come from the Lord, not the government. The Bible also says, ‘An eye for an eye.’”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ed/3654731002/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    I really hope this scum is denied clemency. He has eluded death for over a decade. He needs to fry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1557361605712.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	1873

I hope Bill Lee defers to the son. Funny how the media barely gives him a voice in all this.

Donnie Johnson's execution is days away. He still hasn't picked an execution method.

Death row inmate Donnie Edward Johnson is scheduled to be executed on May 16. But with days to go, he still hasn't decided how he wants the state to kill him.

Because Johnson, 68, was convicted of a murder that took place before 1999, he can choose between two methods: lethal injection, Tennessee's primary method, or the electric chair, the back-up option.

Eligible inmates typically make their choice a month before their execution date. If they don't choose, the state typically plans for a lethal injection.

Johnson is on death row for the 1984 murder of his wife Connie Johnson. He has filed a clemency application asking Republican Gov. Bill Lee to grant him mercy and stop the execution.

Prison officials will continue preparations for the execution until a decision is announced. Johnson's lawyers say he has intentionally withheld his execution method decision — for now.

That is because the U.S. Supreme Court is considering a challenge to Tennessee's lethal injection drugs. Johnson doesn't plan on making a choice until the nation's high court has spoken.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...on/1121227001/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Sounds like lil Donnie is trying to pull a Zagorski. Funny, I thought he was "too blessed to be stressed."

Even if he succeeds, he'll just get zapped in June. He'll show his true colors and appeal if Bill Lee denies clemency.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    I would hope, after the Zagorski fiasco, that TDOC learned a lesson and keeps the chair regularly tested in case of late requests.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Johnson has entered the Death Watch cell next to the execution chamber. Because Johnson has refused to opt for a method of execution, Johnson will die by lethal injection.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information