Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donnie Edward Johnson - Tennessee Execution - May 16, 2019

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Johnson's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (13-5537)
    Decision Date: August 10, 2015
    Rehearing Denied: October 28, 2015

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....es/15-1193.htm

An execution date has been requested.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3716...ses#from_embed
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Johnson's petition for certiorari.

Lower court: Court of Criminal Appeals of Tennessee, Western Division
    Case Nos.: (W2017-00848-CCA-R28-PD)
    Decision date: September 11, 2017
    Rehearing denied: January 19, 2018
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Tennessee Supreme Court sets execution dates for six inmates

Dec. 5, 2019, is the new execution date for Lee Hall, also known as Leroy Hall Jr. He was convicted of murder in the burning death of his girlfriend Traci Crozier.

The other defendants and their execution dates are Donnie Edward Johnson, May 16, 2019, convicted in 1985 of killing his wife Connie Johnson in Shelby County; Stephen Michael West, Aug. 15, 2019, convicted of the murder of Wanda Romines and the rape and murder of Sheila Romines in Union County; Charles Walton Wright, Oct. 10, 2019, convicted in 1984 of the murders of Gerald Mitchell and Douglas Alexander in Davidson County; Nicholas Todd Sutton, Feb. 20, 2020, convicted in 1985 of the murder of Carl Estep in Morgan County; and Abu-Ali Abdur' Rahman, formerly known as James Lee Jones, April 9, 2020, convicted of the 1986 murder of Patrick Daniels in Davidson County.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nmates/483217/

Victim's daughter seeks mercy from Gov. Bill Lee for death row inmate Donnie Edward Johnson

Cynthia Vaughn once condemned death row inmate Donnie Edward Johnson for killing her mother, but now she wants to meet with Gov. Bill Lee to make a case for mercy ahead of Johnson's scheduled execution.

Johnson, 68, is scheduled to die May 16 for killing his wife and Vaughn's mother Connie Johnson in Memphis in 1984.

But his legal team said Johnson deserves a reprieve because of his transformation behind bars — from "a liar, a cheat, a con man and a murderer" to an ordained elder in the Seventh-day Adventist church "with a flock in prison."

They laid out the case for mercy in a 21-page clemency petition submitted to Lee's office on Wednesday. Vaughn's forgiveness was the centerpiece of their argument.

"Cynthia asks for the privilege of meeting you in person, so she can share her experience of Christian forgiveness," the application read. "Cynthia's plea for mercy is exceptional. We know of only one other case in the history of the state of Tennessee in which the child of the ultimate victim has begged the governor for mercy for the murderer."

In that case, the lawyers said, clemency was granted for Gaile Owens. Owens had been sentenced to death for hiring a hit man to kill her husband in 1984, but former Gov. Phil Bredesen commuted her sentence after her son joined her appeal for mercy.

Now Johnson's legal team wants Lee to make a similar choice.

Johnson's request for clemency differs from others filed since Tennessee resumed executions in 2018. It focuses on religious themes and redemption, not legal arguments or details of the crime.

The difference in approach suits Johnson, who has become a religious leader at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution.

It is the first clemency petition to reach Lee, whose Christian faith was front and center during his successful campaign for office.

About the crime

Donnie Johnson, who now goes by Don, killed his wife Connie Johnson in the office of a camping equipment center where he worked. He stuffed a large plastic bag in her mouth and suffocated her, according to court documents.

He initially told police he was not involved but no longer contests his guilt.

Donnie Johnson and Ronnie McCoy, an inmate on work release who also worked at the camping center, moved Connie Johnson’s body and belongings, including her broken glasses, into her van and then left the van at the Mall of Memphis.

Johnson was initially scheduled to die by electric chair in 2006. Vaughn, his stepdaughter, initially approved of the execution, saying, "I want the freak to burn."

After that execution date was delayed, Johnson began reaching out to Vaughn. In 2012, she visited him.

Vaughn describes her visit as revelatory.

"After I was finished telling him about all the years of pain and agony he had caused, I sat down and heard a voice. The voice told me, 'That's it, let it go,'" Vaughn said in a passage of the clemency petition. "The next thing that came out of my mouth changed my life forever."

"I looked at him, told him I couldn't keep hating him because it was doing nothing but killing me instead of him, and then I said, 'I forgive you.'"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ten...amp/3345860002

Tennessee death row inmate begs governor to spare his life

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - Lawyers for the Tennessee man set to be executed next month in the 1984 murder of his wife have submitted a formal request to Governor Bill Lee asking for the death row inmate to be granted executive clemency and also urging the governor to meet with the daughter of the suspect and victim.

Johnson was convicted of suffocating his wife in Memphis by stuffing a plastic garbage bag in her mouth. He was sentenced to death in 1985.

The 21-page letter written on behalf of Don Johnson states "Don has been forgiven by Cynthia Vaughn, the only daughter of Connie Johnson, Don's wife, the woman whose death Don caused."

"Cynthia asks for the privilege of meeting you in person, so she can share her experience of Christian forgiveness," the letter continues. "You alone have the power to commute Don's sentence of death to a sentence of life. Your decision is absolute. And Cynthia's plea for mercy is exceptional."

According to his attorneys, Johnson admits he was "a liar, a cheat, a con man and a murderer" but while in the Shelby County jail awaiting trial, "he heard another inmate give witness about the healing power of Jesus."

"Don was offered the chance for baptism as an adult on death row" and "he embraced it," the letter to the governor states.

His laywers say Johnson is now an ordained Elder in the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

The letter to Governor Lee continues: "we know of only one other case in the history of the State of Tennessee in which the child of the ultimate victim has begged the Governor for mercy for the murderer — and in that case clemency was granted."

Johnson was one of six inmates whose previous execution dates were stayed due to pending litigation.

His execution is set for May 16 at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-...ife/1897745158
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    I wonder if the new governor is going to take the bait. If not and he holds his balls, Johnson will surely pick the electric chair.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Gov. Bill Lee talks about considering mercy as first execution of his term approaches

Gov. Bill Lee said his review of a death row inmate's plea for mercy is "well underway," and he acknowledged the jarring gravity of the decision as the first execution of his term approaches.

Death row inmate Donnie Edward Johnson, 68, is scheduled to die May 16, four months after Lee took office. He has asked Lee to spare his life — his legal team says it will be their only attempt to stop the execution.

Johnson's clemency request focuses on his transformation behind bars, from a lying murderer to a devout religious leader in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. He was convicted with killing his wife in Memphis in 1984, but his stepdaughter, the victim's daughter, has joined him in begging the governor to stop the execution.

Lee said Wednesday he was considering the request, but he said it was too soon to announce a decision.

"It's a thought process and something that I've never had to consider in my whole life," Lee said during an event focused on criminal justice reform. "And the power is profound."

Lee was reluctant to offer his view on executive clemency writ large, saying it was too soon into his term to have a definitive philosophy on those decisions.

"I will approach each individual case differently," he said. "It's awfully early for me to be able to comment on how I view the situation."

Lee and Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin spoke together at a Wednesday event, hosted by the Men of Valor prison ministry and conservative group Right on Crime. Both Republican governors said they were dedicated to continuing criminal justice reforms, even as they acknowledged some resistance among hardliners in their own party.

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news...ee/3484775002/

If Governor Bill Lee stays or commutes the sentence and execution then it's just plain and simple idiocy! Johnson deserves the chair! There are plenty of candidates for the chair on Tennessee death row.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Well he signed the bill to skip one stage of state appeals so hes definitely not an anti. This scum was supposed to get the chair like 12 years ago, long overdue!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information