Thread: Derrick Valentine Gets 30 Years to Life in 2010 NV Slaying of Melodie Walker

Derrick Valentine Gets 30 Years to Life in 2010 NV Slaying of Melodie Walker

Derrick Valentine

Death Penalty Sought In Strangling

Derrick Valentine Charged In Death Of Melodie Walker

LAS VEGAS -- Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty against a California man charged with sexually assaulting and strangling a Las Vegas woman at her home in January.

The Clark County district attorney's office made the announcement Wednesday. Derrick Valentine is charged with one count of murder and two counts of sexual assault in the Jan. 22 death of 35-year-old Melodie Walker.

The 37-year-old Valentine has pleaded not guilty. A hearing in the case is set for April 7.

Valentine is from Pasadena, Calif. He's accused of killing Walker after she tripped a burglar alarm trying to escape during what Valentine allegedly told police was forced sexual contact.

The coroner ruled Walker was strangled.

Valentine is being held at the Clark County jail.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/23019839/detail.html

Death penalty trial delayed for man accused of strangling woman

It’s been more than two years since a Las Vegas judge found there was enough evidence to have a jury determine if Derrick Valentine sexually assaulted 35-year-old Melodie Walker and then choked her to death in her northwest Las Vegas Valley home.

Valentine, 39, was scheduled to have his sexual assault and murder trial begin this afternoon in Clark County District Court. But he’ll have to wait about seven more months for the death penalty case to begin.

Valentine’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Edward Kane, has told Judge Michael Villani that the defense team isn’t ready yet for the trial and is waiting on the results of psychological tests on Valentine before proceeding.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Christopher Lalli asked the judge to reschedule the trial sometime in October. And Villani set the new trial for 1 p.m. Oct. 22.

Valentine, of Pasadena, Calif., faces one count of murder and two counts of sexual assault in connection with Walker’s death. He is being held without bail on the murder charge in the Clark County Detention Center.

The Clark County coroner’s office said an autopsy showed that Walker had been strangled to death.

Valentine was arrested Jan. 22, 2010, after a security guard called police after finding Valentine and Walker in Walker's home in the 9100 block of Pearl Cotton Avenue, which is near the Durango Drive interchange on U.S. 95. The security guard was sent to the home after a burglary alarm was activated.

During Valentine’s preliminary hearing in March 2010, a security guard and arresting officers testified that Valentine changed his story several times while being interviewed about what had happened.

The security guard testified Valentine said that “a big white guy” had come in, hit him over the head and poured chemicals down his throat.

A Metro Police detective testified that Valentine later told police that he wanted to perform a sex act on Walker but knew she wouldn’t allow it, so he choked her. The detective testified that Valentine then said he tried to clean up the blood, then wanted to die, so he drank some of the cleaning solution.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...ed-sexually-a/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

December 5, 2014

California man gets 30 years to life in rape and slaying of Metro worker

By DAVID FERRARA
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Melodie Walker died with the hands of a man she trusted wrapped around her throat.

Though she and Derrick Valentine had known each other for 20 years, even attended high school prom together, he wanted more from their relationship.

So he raped and choked her, prosecutors said, and when she tried to run, he strangled her.

On Friday, Clark County District Judge Michael Villani sentenced Valentine to serve 30 years to life in prison.

The judge considered whether Valentine’s behavior on the night of the killing was an aberration.

“Maybe it was,” Villani said. “But some conduct is so egregious that it requires punishment.”

During a daylong hearing, defense lawyers painted the 42-year-old Valentine as a god-fearing, church-going man who loves his family. He had no criminal history.

His pastor, William Mims, considered Valentine a church elder who worked with youth and was active in men’s fellowship.

“Derrick was someone I could call on,” Mims told the judge.

Walker, who worked as a support technician for the Metropolitan Police Department’s SWAT division, loved cats, cruises, family, friends and colleagues. At 35, she was an introvert before emerging from a shell and developing her life in Las Vegas, family members said.

“If there was anyone she disliked, she never shared that with her family,” said her stepfather, Joseph Jordan.

Valentine’s mother, Rosa Ophelia Valentine, told the judge her husband died when her son was 10, and she often struggled to make ends meet.

“Derrick saw the struggle,” she said. “He is a good young man that committed a mistake.”

A doctor testified that Derrick Valentine suffered from a brain disorder that might have caused him to snap.

Defense lawyer Edward Kane called Valentine a “salvageable human being.”

Walker’s biological father, Paul Walker, asked the judge to sentence Valentine to life without parole, saying the illness might move Valentine to kill again.

“It wouldn’t be so hurtful if I didn’t have to listen to what I had to listen to this morning,” he said. “It’s hurtful that she had to suffer the way she did. He tortured her.”

Melodie Walker looked up to Valentine, her family said.

In January 2010, he said he was headed to Las Vegas to see The Lion King. She asked him for help with her car.

He still wanted to be with her, even though she had moved to the valley years earlier and he still lived in California and was married.

He knew she wouldn’t let him, so he ripped off her bra and pulled down her pants.

She told him she needed water, and when he let her up, she tried to run.

She made it as far as the garage door, setting off a home security alarm, but she was trapped inside her northwest valley home.

He strangled her because he thought she would call police.

“The friend she let back into her life,” prosecutor Brad Turner said. “That’s the last thing she saw when she died.”

She scratched her own neck trying to pry Valentine’s thick hands, Turner said. Investigators found her broken fingernail in the kitchen where she was attacked.

“This was planned. It was motivated, and he knew her,” Turner said. “That’s why he did it.”

Valentine tried to clean up her blood. He called 911 and told a dispatcher the alarm was a mistake.

But an employee with the home security company was already on the way.

When Valentine met the worker at the door, he said he was alone and needed an ambulance, but asked the security company worker not to call the police.

The worker noticed Walker’s lifeless body inside. Valentine crawled back into the home, slapped her face and said “don’t die,” according to a police report.

Paramedics arrived and found Walker naked from the waste down. She had bruises on her neck and blood coming out of her mouth.

“When you choke to death, you suffer,” Villani said. “You know every minute of it. We need to have some justice here.”

Valentine cut a deal with prosecutors in September and pleaded guilty to sexual assault and murder to avoid the death penalty.

On Friday, he apologized to Walker’s family and his own, and he asked the judge for leniency.

“I am deeply sorry for the circumstances involving this case,” he said. “I know and I have cared for Melodie Walker since the day I met her. I violated her trust. I violated her space. I violated her temple. I’m wrong for that. I was wrong to even be there in the first place.”

Villani gave the defendant credit for the nearly five years he has served in the Clark County Detention Center since his arrest.

Valentine initially told investigators that “a tall, white male” entered the home and poured chemicals down his throat.

But when he realized he was caught, he told the truth.

He couldn’t wash away the blood.

So he sat with her body, he said, and drank from a bottle of bleach, hoping he would die.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ca...g-metro-worker

Thread Information