Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlon Duane Kiser - Tennessee

Appeals court denies convicted Chattanooga cop killer's death row petition

By Zack Peterson
    The Chattanooga Times-Free Press

The Tennessee Criminal Court of Appeals denied Thursday a convicted Chattanooga cop killer's plea for relief from death row.

Hamilton County Court Judge Don Poole made the right call when he denied Marlon Kiser's argument of insufficient defense in July 2016, according to the appeals court decision.

Prosecutors said Kiser ambushed officer Donald Bond early on the morning of Sept. 6, 2001, spraying bullets from a high-powered rifle when the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office deputy interrupted Kiser's attempt to set fire to a fruit stand on East Brainerd Road.

Kiser argued his roommate was the murderer instead, and that his defense failed him by never calling a particular witness who could testify to that effect.

The appeals decision, however, said Kiser's attorney tried to paint his roommate as a killer with other witnesses.

It just didn't work.

The jury found Kiser guilty of murder and sentenced him to death.

"The jury rejected the petitioner's theory that [his roommate] was the perpetrator and that the petitioner had been framed by the police," the decision says. "Therefore we conclude that the petitioner has failed to establish either deficiency or prejudice from the failure to call [someone] as a witness at trial."

It's unclear when Kiser's execution date is or whether he'll challenge the appeals' decision at a higher court.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...ers-pe/459756/

On June 29, 2018, Kiser filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/te...8cv00146/86189

Man convicted in 2001 killing of Hamilton County deputy Donald Bond dies on death row

By Andy Sher
    The Chattanooga Times-Free Press

A convicted Tennessee cop killer, housed on death row for nearly 17 years in the 2001 ambush murder of a Hamilton County deputy, has died of apparent natural causes, the state Department of Correction announced Thursday.

Officials say Marlon Duane Kiser, sentenced to death by lethal injection in 2003 for the Sept. 6, 2001, first-degree killing of Hamilton County Sheriff's Office Deputy Donald Bond, was found dead Wednesday in his Riverbend Maximum Security Institution cell. He was pronounced dead at 11:57 p.m.

In a short statement, Correction Department officials said that although Kiser's death appeared to be from natural causes, "the exact cause of his death is pending official determination by the medical examiner. There have been no COVID-19 cases in Kiser's assigned housing unit."

Bond's murder, Kiser's trial, guilty verdict and subsequent failed post-conviction relief efforts drew extensive local news coverage for years. No date had been set for his execution.

Police and prosecutors said 32-year-old Deputy Bond caught Kiser attempting to burn down Nunley's Produce in East Brainerd. During Kiser's 2003 trial, a county medical examiner testified Bond was shot nine times, with as many as seven bullets coming from an AK-47 rifle. Any of the shots could have killed Bond, the examiner said. Prosecutors said Kiser also shot Bond with his own Glock handgun.

But Kiser maintained his innocence during multiple post-conviction relief efforts, charging that his former roommate Michael Chattin, a key prosecution witness in the original trial, framed him for Bond's slaying in an elaborate set-up.

During the 2003 trial, Chattin testified that Kiser woke him up the morning after the murder and bragged about killing a cop. Chattin said Kiser showed him an assault rifle, a police weapon and a part of a bulletproof vest.

Kiser mounted multiple post-conviction efforts beginning in 2009, about a year before his originally scheduled execution. A judge granted a delay and Kiser, assisted by attorneys, amended his petition four times before it got into Hamilton County Criminal Court in 2014.

During one post-conviction petition hearing in 2014, a witness, Kim Bowman, an acquaintaince of Chattin, declared from the stand that she had lied during the 2001 trial because Chattin threatened her and her children's lives.

Several witnesses testified they believed Chattin had killed Bond. Chattin had since died.

In 2015, the Times Free Press reported that in preparation for one of Kiser's post-conviction efforts, his attorneys requested that previously untested palm prints and fingerprints on Bond's flashlight and patrol car door be run through a state system.

But the prints turned out to be Kiser's, the Times Free Press reported.

The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office noted on its website that after the shooting, Kiser stole the front panel of Bond's vest and his service weapon. The post said informants gave investigators the name and address of Kiser and that officers saw him throw the deputy's gun and vest panel from his back porch before apprehending him.

The sheriff's office said Bond had worked as a Hamilton County deputy for two years.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...th-row/533302/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

How did he die so young? He was on Tennessee’s death row for only 17 years. When Tennessee restarted they’ve been executing people who have been there since the mid 80s to the early 90s.

He probably had heart problems considering how overweight he was.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

How old was Kiser?
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar

I'm guessing his death was weight-related.

Photo Source: https://archive.md/5BsAb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information