Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Harold Wayne Nichols - Tennessee Death Row

Hopefully it’s way sooner like around January Lee himself postponed the execution this was not the Supreme Courts ruling.

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Nichols's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Tennessee, Eastern Division
    Case Numbers: (E2018-00626-CCA-R3-PD)
    Decision Date: October 10, 2019
    Discretionary Court Decision Date:January 15, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-8742.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Is this still a go for the 31st?

It never was, this isn't scheduled to happen at all right now.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Victims' families demand Harold Wayne Nichols' execution 1 year after pandemic delay

HAMILTON COUNTY, Tenn. — Could delayed justice be justice denied?

Harold Wayne Nichols has been sitting on death row for decades.

The pandemic forced his long-awaited execution to be put on hold. Governor Bill Lee granted Nichols a temporary reprieve from execution until the end of last year.

Now, we're seven months into 2021 and those hit hardest by Nichols' crimes say they've heard nothing from the state.

Nichols awaits the electric chair for the 1988 brutal rape and murder of Karen Pulley in Hamilton County.

It's not the only crime that landed him behind bars.

That's something Carlain Hicks and Karon Adams know all to well.

"My daughter-in-law was his second victim. Something needs to be done, not only for our family, but for the other women out there," said Hicks.

Evidence shows until Nichols arrest in 1989, he would roam the streets of Chattanooga at night searching for vulnerable women.

Karon Adams dated Nichols before his first arrest.

"I look at Karen and Tammy and I think, maybe I could have made a difference. I know I couldn't, but you don't quit asking," said Adams.

There's been radio silence since Governor Lee pushed back Nichols execution in July 2020.

That's a call Hicks and Adams could wrap their heads around at the time, as prisons were hotbeds for COVID-19.

"There's no excuse now. People are out. I got my second shot. Let us go on with life. Let us see this happen," said Adams.

Executions throughout the country are on pause.

According to the American Bar Association, Missouri is the only state to carry any out during the pandemic.

Hicks and Adams worry this loophole could give Nichols a chance to escape the chair.

"As long as he's still there, there's a chance he might not be there one day. There could be a computation or compassionate release," said Adams.

After decades of sitting in courtrooms and years of heartache, Hicks worries time isn't on her side.

As her 75th birthday approaches, she's worried her last day will come before Nichols.

"Here I am 35 years later and much older and nothing has been done," said Hicks.

Both Hicks and Adams are vowing to fight until Nichols draws his last breath.

"Until that's not a possibility anymore, you won't not be scared," said Adams.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newscha...pandemic-delay
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On September 7, 2021, Nichols filed a civil rights lawsuit in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/te...1cv00698/87573
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Nichols has an execution date set for June 9, 2022.

https://www.tncourts.gov/sites/defau...te_nichols.pdf

Gov. Lee Calls for Independent Review Following Smith Reprieve

Today, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced plans to launch a third-party review of a lethal injection testing oversight that resulted in a temporary reprieve for death row inmate Oscar Franklin Smith.

“I review each death penalty case and believe it is an appropriate punishment for heinous crimes,” said Lee. “However, the death penalty is an extremely serious matter, and I expect the Tennessee Department of Correction to leave no question that procedures are correctly followed.”

Both the United States Supreme Court and Lee declined to intervene on the merits of Smith’s case, but questions surrounding lethal injection testing preparation for the April 21 execution resulted in a temporary reprieve by the governor.

Tennessee will retain former U.S. Attorney Ed Stanton to conduct an independent review of the following:

· Circumstances that led to testing the lethal injection chemicals for only potency and sterility but not endotoxins preparing for the April 21 execution

· Clarity of the lethal injection process manual that was last updated in 2018, and adherence to testing policies since the update

· TDOC staffing considerations

“An investigation by a respected third-party will ensure any operational failures at TDOC are thoroughly addressed,” said Lee. “We will pause scheduled executions through the end of 2022 in order to allow for the review and corrective action to be put in place.”

Since 2019, three of four executions have been carried out by electric chair. Death row inmates may choose to be executed by electric chair rather than lethal injection, and lethal injection is the default execution method in Tennessee. The April 21 execution was set to be the first execution since February 2020 due to disruptions caused by COVID-19. This execution was one of five executions scheduled to take place this year. The Tennessee Supreme Court will determine rescheduled dates for the 2022 executions.

https://www.tn.gov/governor/news/202...-reprieve.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information