Thread: Erick Virgil Hall - Idaho Death Row

Erick Virgil Hall - Idaho Death Row

Lynn Henneman

Cheryl Ann Hanlon

Erick Virgil Hall

Summary of Offense:

Erick Hall already had a history of rape — and had spent time in prison — when he struck again on September 24, 2000. He attacked New York flight attendant Lynn Henneman as she jogged on the Boise Greenbelt, sexually assaulting her before strangling her with her own sweater.

The attack created widespread fear about safety on the Greenbelt, prompting law enforcement to take several measures to ensure security along the paths and in parks.

Hall was finally arrested for Henneman’s death in 2003, found guilty in a jury trial and sentenced to die later that same year. But in the meantime, he struck again.

A 16-year-old boy found the body of Cheryl Ann Hanlon in the foothills north of Boise while walking his dog on March 1, 2003. Like Henneman, Hanlon had also been sexually assaulted and murdered. Police spent three years looking for her killer, and by 2007, the evidence pointed to Hall — who was by that time already on Death Row for Henneman’s murder.

Hall was charged, tried and convicted of Hanlon’s murder — and sentenced to death once again.

Note: He was the first person in Idaho to be sentenced to death under the state's newly-adopted jury system for death penalty cases in October 2004.

Erick Hall has received two death sentences and three life sentences for the rapes and murders of two women

BOISE -- He is already serving a death row sentence for the murder of one woman, and now Erick Virgil Hall will serve another death sentence for the murder of another.

Fourth District Judge Thomas Neville sentenced Hall on January 3, 2008 to death row for the murder of Cheryl Ann Hanlon, and gave him an additional life sentence for raping her.

The brutal murder and rape happened back in 2003.

Judge Neville imposed the death penalty on the first-degree murder conviction, affirming an Ada County jury's verdict of death, which was handed down in Oct. 2007.

Hall's previously received a death sentence for the murder of flight attendant Lynn Henneman. He was given concurrent life sentences for rape and kidnapping convictions.

DNA evidence linked Hall to both murders.

(Source: KTVB)

HALL v. STATE

In an order dated May 27, 2011, the Idaho Supreme Court AFFIRMED a district court's DENIAL of Hall's appeal prohibiting post-conviction contact with the jurors, and Hall's motion for a court-ordered deposition of his trial counsel's investigator.

Idaho Supreme Court rejects appeal from death row inmate Erick Virgil Hall

By Rebecca Boone
    The Associated Press

BOISE, ID - The Idaho Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by a man condemned to death row twice for two separate murders.

In the written ruling issued Wednesday, a majority of the Justices agreed that Erick Virgil Hall was given a fair trial and had adequate representation when he was tried and sentenced to death for the kidnapping, rape and murder of flight attendant Lynn Henneman. Two justices dissented with the majority opinion, however, saying they agreed Hall was guilty of the crimes -- but felt there were errors made in the process of sentencing him to the death penalty.

Henneman was on a lay-over in Boise on Sept. 24, 2000, when she took a walk on the Boise Greenbelt. Prosecutors said that’s when Hall kidnapped her, raped her and strangled her with a sweater.

The investigation went without a suspect for three years -- until police investigating the rape and murder of Cheryl Ann Hanlon in the Boise foothills questioned Hall, and realized his DNA sample matched swabs collected from Henneman’s body.

Hall was later also sentenced to death for Hanlon’s murder.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/idaho-su...ck-virgil-hall

On May 16, 2018, Hall filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/id...8cv00218/41414

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Hall's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Idaho
    Case Numbers: (31528/41059)
    Decision Date: April 11, 2018
    Rehearing Denied: June 28, 2018
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Post-conviction relief denied by the Idaho Supreme Court 3/22/23.

https://law.justia.com/cases/idaho/s...023/47871.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Rehearing denied by the Idaho Supreme Court 6/22/23.

https://law.justia.com/cases/idaho/s...3/47871-0.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

On July 19, 2023, Hall filed a habeas petition in federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/id...3cv00335/52613

Thread Information