Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fredrick Michael Baer - Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    as horrific as this crime was, I for one do not believe in the death penalty, for any crime.....the punishment should be life witout parole. Taking his life will not bring back the lives of those he murdered.
    Inside the envelope is a letter to his attorneys, asking them to terminate the appeals process in his death penalty case. The letter lies waiting, waiting for its author to muster the courage to take that last step toward the death chamber.
    Do you think Baer has the right to terminate his appeals and volunteer for execution?
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Daisy
    Whether or not I do, it seems that, as the law stands he does have the right, because "the letter" is apparently ready for him to mail to his Attorney. To answer your question, is difficult, because how can we dispute the law which, it seems, does give him the right. He would be, in effect, not asking for anything other than what he was sentenced to...not as though he has decided on execution for any other reason. I stand by my own personal opinion which is against death penalty in general, not just for this one inmate in this prison.

by the way, he would not be "volunteering" for execution; execution, it seems, is inevitable for him, whether by having exhautsed all available appeals processes, or by his own hastening his execution by signing the letter to his Attorney. I would be interested to know #1 If he is granted a new trial, and death is the ultimate sentence, would he have to go through all available options, from the very beginning, as regards appeals process(s) and #2 how rare, at this stage, would commutation of death sentence be with his mental state used as reason for stay of execution?

Sbourne19
    Any idea where Baer is in terms of appeals and how close he actually is to an execution date

As you'll find on the first page of this thread, Baer has a habeas petition pending in Federal District Court. If his petition is denied at that level, then he will, theoretically at least, have only two more appeals left: one to the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the other to the US Supreme Court.

Sbourne19
    Was that not in August 2011?? How long does it take for a decision to be made on a habeas petition in a federal district court and does it vary from state to state

It basically takes as long as a US District Court judge wants it to take. I've seen it take anywhere from less than a year all the way up to ten years or more. The Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, which became law in 1996, does provide for stringent time limits on capital-case decisions by federal judges if individual states meet certain standards as to post-conviction legal representation. However, the Justice Department had long dragged its feet in promulgating such regulations until quite recently.

For more on this topic, see: http://www.crimeandconsequences.com/...-track-ca.html

Softer side of a killer: Death Row inmate Frederick Baer lives for his pet cat Lucy, yet this is the same man who slit the throat of an innocent young mother and nearly decapitated her child.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-Prison.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

ganeshn2
    His habeas petition is still with District court. But, Paul Mcmanus case is with the 7 th circuit for the past three years. Any update on that status? From the youtube video, I was of the view, this guy would be the first in line, but it is not the case.

I have a question. Why dont the state decide on the LI protocol now, so, when some one is up, they can proceed without any hassle? In that way, there wont no surprise against LI protocol. IMO, if the states do that, it can certainly expedite executions. Also, with such shortage of the drugs involved, states should have multiple protocols in a way, all the drugs are covered, and get it pass through the state cabinet and approved. So, it wont stand against the LI protocol in any court. States should become smarter.

On December 18, 2014, Baer's habeas petition was DENIED in Federal District Court.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...01168/35959/41

Baer is long due the news everyone has been waiting for! Surely he would in the next year receive an execution date. His interview with Sir Trevor McDonald reveals that he apologises for his actions. This guy is so up next after a long hiatus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information