Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brenda Evers Andrew - Oklahoma Death Row

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brenda Evers Andrew - Oklahoma Death Row

Rob Andrew

Brenda Andrew

Summary of Offense:

Convicted of planning and then carrying out the November 20, 2001 shooting death of husband Rob Andrew, 39. Her co-defendant, James Dwight Pavatt, 50, was convicted in 2003 on the same charges and also sentenced to death.

Andrew has been on death row since September 27, 2004.

July 15, 2004

Family begs for murderer's life

The 13-year-old slowly took the witness stand Wednesday to testify during death-penalty proceedings against her mother, Brenda Andrew, convicted of the first-degree murder of her husband and Tricity's father, Rob Andrew.

Tricity's testimony was the apex to an emotional day when prosecutors and defense attorneys presented testimony from Rob and Brenda Andrew's families as to why the convicted murderer should die for her crimes or be spared execution.

As Tricity took the witness stand, a female juror mouthed, "Please don't do this, as if to beg the attorneys not to present the child as a witness. The juror and several others began crying with the young witness.

Tricity was crying so hard, she got out little more than "yes, when asked about letters she wrote to her mother.

Brenda Andrew's attorney Greg McCracken read the letters for Tricity.

The first one began: "Dear Mommy, I love you very much and can't stand being away from you.

McCracken asked Tricity if those were her words.

"Yes, she sobbed, looking down and only briefly and occasionally looking at her mother.

Brenda Andrew was convicted Tuesday of murdering Rob Andrew on Nov. 20, 2001. Brenda Andrew's lover, James Pavatt, was convicted in September and later sentenced to die.

Wednesday's testimony brought tears from those in the jury box, Rob Andrew's family, the defendant's family and the typically unemotional Brenda Andrew.

Rob Andrew's father, E.R. Andrew, testified first and was followed by the murder victim's three brothers, Bill, Tom and Tim.

"How could someone do something to someone so gentle? asked Bill Andrew as he motioned to his sister-in-law. "It hurts to see his children without their father and my parents without their son.

Tom Andrew caused muffled laughs and sobs when he described his brother as both a jokester and a caring man.

Jurors, Brenda Andrew and members of the courtroom audience all wiped tears, which kept flowing when the defendant's family testified in an effort to save their relative from the death penalty.

They told how Brenda Andrew grew up an honor student and cared for her mentally handicapped brother and how she was involved with the church.

"Brenda's death will not bring Rob back, said Paul Southwick, the defendant's cousin. "This is a real human being.

Brenda Andrew's mother, Rose Evers, was the last to testify. She sobbed her plea:

"She is my child, and I love her dearly and I beg of you, let her live."

http://newsok.com/article/1278805/?template=home/main

September 23, 2004

Andrew formally sentenced to death

Convicted murderer Brenda Andrew was defiant Wednesday, claiming she is innocent of her husband's shooting death even as a judge formally sentenced her to be executed.

Andrew - appearing in Oklahoma County District Court for the first time since she was sentenced to death by a jury July 15 - told Oklahoma County District Judge Susan Bragg she had no involvement in the death of advertising executive Rob Andrew.

"The verdict which sentenced me to the death penalty is an egregious miscarriage of justice, Brenda Andrew said. "I am an innocent woman, wrongfully convicted.

Earlier, Brenda Andrew smiled as she walked into court, handcuffed and wearing an orange prison jumpsuit. She took a seat in the jury box and nodded to family members sitting in the gallery, then smiled and whispered to her attorneys on several occasions.

The 40-year-old mother of two was then called to stand in front of Bragg, surrounded by attorneys and Oklahoma County sheriff's deputies, to hear the judge set her execution date at Dec. 10.

An Oklahoma County jury voted on the death penalty for Brenda Andrew after a six-week trial. The jury decided she planned and then carried out the Nov. 20, 2001, shooting death of Rob Andrew, 39. Her co-defendant, James Pavatt, 50, was convicted in 2003 on the same charges and also sentenced to death.

Brenda Andrew held a folded, white piece of paper in her hand, but looked straight at the judge when she gave her statement.

"I plan to fight for my freedom to the end and the end is neither execution nor imprisonment, it is the complete vindication of my name, she said. "God knows my heart and He will deliver me out of this situation.

Three jurors showed up in court to watch the sentencing.

Michael Welch, a 45-year-old Edmond mail carrier, said he came so he could see his job through to the end and show support for Rob Andrew's family.

Welch said he wasn't bothered by Brenda Andrew's contention she was wrongfully convicted.

"With all the evidence that was presented in front of me, I wouldn't change my mind one inch, he said. "What was done wasn't an accident. It was deliberately done.

Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger said he wasn't surprised by Brenda Andrew's comments.

"Ms. Andrew has shown absolutely no remorse for her criminal actions from day one, Gieger said. "It certainly doesn't surprise me that she continues to show no remorse after being found guilty of murder.

Gieger's partner at trial, Assistant District Attorney Fern Smith, said she was surprised not only by what Brenda Andrew said, but by the way she said it, calling her demeanor flippant and arrogant.

"The fact that she said the jury was wrong in what they did, that it wasn't based on the evidence, that her conviction was egregious, Smith said, "was disrespectful to the court and to the jury.

Defense attorney Greg McCracken said Brenda Andrew will appeal the case "as vigorously as possible.

"She looks forward to the appeals process, McCracken said. "She looks forward to a new trial and a new day.

McCracken and his defense partner George Miskovsky III said there would be several grounds for appeal, most notably the pretrial publicity they said made it impossible for Brenda Andrew to get a fair trial.

"We respect what the jury did, they worked hard, McCracken said. "But our opinion is that it was just too difficult for her to get a fair jury in this county.

Welch said the jury was diligent in its decision-making process.

"We went by the laws that the judge set down for us, Welch said. "We went over things and went over things. We went over all the evidence and that's what our decision was.

Gieger also defended the jury's decision.

"They walked out of the courtroom feeling that they made the right decision, he said. "Today a sentence was imposed that was a just result for this terrible crime that Brenda Andrew and James Pavatt committed against Mr. Andrew.

Brenda Andrew, meanwhile, defended her character and directed thinly veiled criticism toward Rob Andrew's family.

"I love my children dearly, she said. "I am a loving, gentle and compassionate mother.

"I noticed the supposed God-fearing people who celebrated my death sentence and I see that as human sickness.

http://newsok.com/andrew-formally-se...rticle/1322784

June 21, 2007

Two Former Sunday School Teachers Conspire to Kill a Man for Nearly a Million Dollars in Life Insurance Money

How did two Sunday school teachers become cold-blooded killers? An illicit love affair, an $800,000 life insurance policy, and a man deeply in debt created a deadly combination that ended up taking the life of Rob Andrew.

It happened on November 20, 2001 in an Oklahoma City suburb when Brenda Andrew lured her estranged husband to her home to pick up their two children. Brenda told him that the pilot light of the furnace was out and while he bent to fix it James Pavatt came quietly up behind Rob and shot him in the side with a 16 gauge shotgun. In vain, Rob grabbed at a garbage bag full of empty soda cans trying to protect himself, but Brenda took the gun from Pavatt and blasted her husband in the chest. Afterwards she used a .22 caliber pistol to shoot herself in the arm and told police that she and Rob had been the victims of masked intruders.

So, just what drove these two people to murder?

Brenda Andrew grew up in a small town in Oklahoma in a Christian home. She was a baton twirler who never attended the parties thrown by other kids because she did not smoke or drink. She married her high school sweetheart Robert "Rob" Andrew and became a stay at home mom to their two children and a Sunday school teacher.

As she turned 40, it seemed Brenda was having a mid-life crisis and she began a series of illicit sexual affairs. One of them was with James Pavatt, a member of the same church as the Andrews and a fellow Sunday school teacher. Pavatt, a life insurance agent, socialized with Rob, Brenda and their children, and had recently sold an $800,000 life insurance policy to Rob. Pavatt divorced his wife, Suk Hui, in the summer of 2001. Brenda Andrew filed divorce papers in late September of that same year.

The brake lines on Rob Andrew's car were severed sometime on the night of October 25-26, 2001. The next day Rob was notified of an "emergency" involving his wife. The ploy did not work as Rob had discovered the damage to his vehicle before he was harmed and he notified police.

When Rob Andrew realized his brake lines had been severed he asked Mr. Pavatt about removing Brenda as the beneficiary of his life insurance policy, but was told (falsely) that since Brenda was the owner of the policy, Mr. Andrew had no control over the beneficiary.

The day before Rob Andrew's funeral, James Pavatt, Brenda Andrew and her children went on the run. Tricity and Parker Andrew were drug on a fugitive journey through Mexico. Three months later Pavatt and Andrew were arrested as they tried to cross the border back into the United States.

Little is known about James Pavatt's early life, although it is known that he was in the Air Force and served in Southeast Asia. He was attached to the Military Police. He was married to Suk Hui Pavatt for nine years before divorcing her in 2001. At that time he was working as an agent for Prudential Insurance. Former co-workers characterize him as very cold, and manipulative. One co-worker said there was something about Pavatt that struck him as "off-center". "He always talked about shooting dogs. Every time he saw a dog he would talk about shooting it," the man said. Someone else who knew Pavatt described him as "creepy."

His ex-wife said, "He wasn't the same Jim I knew for nine years. He was the most kind person while we were married. Something was not right with him."

James Pavatt went on trial August 25, 2003. On September 16, 2003 he was found guilty of First Degree Murder and Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder. On October 21, 2003 he was sentenced to death.

Brenda Andrew was convicted of Conspiracy to Commit Murder and First Degree Murder on September 22, 2004 and sentenced to die.

The former Sunday school teachers now sit on death row in Oklahoma. Brenda Andrew is the only woman on Oklahoma's death row.

Source

On August 11, 2008, Andrew filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/okl...cv00832/70368/

planchkpro
    "I love my children dearly, she said. "I am a loving, gentle and compassionate mother."

But a horrible wife.......

And how can she call herself a "compassionate mother" when she murdered the father of her children??? What did she think that would do to their lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    On August 11, 2008, Andrew filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/okl...cv00832/70368/
    Are there any updates on her appeals?
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Not that I've been able to find.

Thanks Moh. I keep seeing the episode of "Forensic Files" about this case and my curiosity was piqued.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information