Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jemaine Monteil Cannon - Oklahoma Execution - July 20, 2023

Distributed for conference February 18, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-6680.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Cannon's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Oklahoma
    Case Numbers: (PCD-2020-620)
    Decision Date: September 16, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_bq7d.pdf

Jemaine Cannon's execution date has been set for March 9th, 2023.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2022-07-01.pdf

Oklahoma AG asking for delay in executions

By K. Querry-Thompson
    KFOR

Just days after taking office, Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond has filed a motion to delay several executions in the state.

Drummond filed a motion with the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, requesting that seven impending executions be conducted with more time between each event.

He says the current schedule is putting pressure on understaffed DOC employees.

“I was honored to spend time with these outstanding men and women who work every month to carry out the State’s highest punishment and deliver justice to the families of victims,” Drummond said. “I observed their respect for the solemnity of their duty. I saw their regard for the family and loved ones of victims. Oklahoma is fortunate to have dedicated public servants who are willing to train for and carry out a task of such gravity.”

Oklahoma has had four executions over nearly five months and 21 others are pending.

“As is to be expected, DOC leadership and personnel have continuously sought to learn and improve during the process,” states the Jan. 17 filing. “One aspect that has become clear over time is that the current pace of executions is unsustainable in the long run, as it is unduly burdening the DOC and its personnel. This is especially true given the extensive and intensive nature of the training DOC personnel undergo to prepare for each execution.”

If granted, the request would delay the executions for Richard Glossip, Jermaine Cannon, Anthony Sanchez, Phillip Hancock, James Ryder, Michael Smith, and Wade Lay.

The executions would be pushed back by 60 days.

Before filing the motion, Drummond says he visited with family members of the victims of the inmates to explain the reason for the request.

“I do not take lightly this request,” Drummond said. “These families have waited many years to see justice done, and I am grateful for their understanding in this matter.

https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-ag-as...in-executions/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Execution date rescheduled for July 20, 2023.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2023-01-24.pdf
    Last edited by Julius; 01-24-2023 at 02:57 PM.

Place your bets, ladies and gents! What excuse is Drummond going to use to stop this execution?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

None. It’s Glossip that Drummond has the problem with.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

DEATH ROW PRISONER CONVICTED IN 1995 TULSA MURDER TO HAVE CLEMENCY HEARING

By Amy Slanchik
    newson6.com

TULSA, Okla. - A man set to be executed next month for murdering a Tulsa mother in 1995, will have his clemency hearing Wednesday.

Jemaine Cannon was convicted of beating and stabbing his girlfriend, Sharonda Clark. Cannon has always said it was in self-defense.

Cannon's attorney, along with some lawmakers and the Oklahoma Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, spoke on Tuesday to reporters about the case.

In 1991, Cannon was serving time in prison for assault, when he escaped while taking part in a prison work program.

Prosecutors said he went to his girlfriend's apartment and stabbed her to death, near 41st and Sheridan. Cannon left the state and police ended up arresting him in Flint, Michigan.

He was convicted of Clark's murder in 1996. Cannon's attorney said Cannon was "denied his right to testify" during his trial.

"There's a dispute as to who attacked whom first. There is evidence to support the idea that the decedent came after Mr. Cannon with a butcher knife. She got the worst of the exchange and died,” Mark Henricksen said.

In a statement, Tulsa County DA Steve Kunzweiler says in part, "...A judge and jury decided the death penalty was a fitting punishment for Cannon, a decision that should be respected. He exhausted all of his appeals and now must face the consequences of his actions. Sharonda Clark's family deserves to see justice for their lost loved one."

The pardon and parole board will vote on Wednesday whether to recommend Cannon get clemency.

https://www.newson6.com/story/647fbd...emency-hearing

Oklahoma Pardon & Parole Board denies clemency for death row inmate Jemaine Cannon

By Miranda Vondale Foster
    Fox 25

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Clemency for death row inmate Jemaine Cannon was denied on Wednesday.

Cannon went before the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board on Wednesday, presenting his evidence that he murdered a woman as an act of self-defense.

In 1995, Cannon murdered Sharonda Clark in her Tulsa apartment. He was sentenced to death row in 1996.

Cannon's lawyer, Mark Henrickson, said that Cannon's legal team during the murder trial failed him by not submitting evidence that would prove Cannon's claim of self-defense.

"He wanted to present his self-defense presentation, his explanation, and his public defenders declined to permit him to do that," said Henrickson. "You have the right to testify, you should listen to the advice of your lawyer, but at the end of the day, it is your decision. That did not happen in this case."

Since Cannon was not granted clemency, he remains slated to be executed on July 20, 2023.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/clemen...c-july-20-2023

On July 14, Cannon filed for a stay of execution to the federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ok...3cv00293/66495

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information