Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: James Allen Coddington - Oklahoma Execution - August 25, 2022

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    My personal take on this: this execution will go forward (Stitt denied clemency for Bigler Stouffer, so is more than likely that he will deny Coddington as well, whose guilt is not in doubt and whose victim's son is against clemency), but we can already scrap Richard Glossip from our executions calendar.

In second place, I think that for many people, a murderer, a rapist, a drug kingpin are victims. No matter what they did, THEY are the real victims, not the actual victims. It's not their fault, it's society's, who has not been able to understand them. This reflects what Ted Kaczynski, in his Manifesto, described as "oversocialization", or the attitude to always find brand new misunderstood whose side to take and to victimize in order to satisfy one's power process through empathy. This is a sociological process over which we should reflect quite a bit.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 08-03-2022 at 12:16 PM.

This board is so pathetic. Can't even deny clemency to a thug who bludgeoned an elderly man to death from drug money. The big vaunted Oklahoma everyone. Capital punishment really is dead.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Haven't they recommended clemency in like every execution so far though
    Last edited by one_two_bomb; 08-03-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Stitt won’t commute him. He only caves to inmates like Julius Jones, which is why I believe Richard Glossip will be commuted. The ones whose guilt is obvious will go forward

Aside from John Grant, Donald Grant and Gilbert Postelle, yes
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastro Titta View Post
    In second place, I think that for many people, a murderer, a rapist, a drug kingpin are victims. No matter what they did, THEY are the real victims, not the actual victims. It's not their fault, it's society's, who has not been able to understand them. This reflects what Ted Kaczynski, in his Manifesto, described as "oversocialization", or the attitude to always find brand new misunderstood whose side to take and to victimize in order to satisfy one's power process through empathy. This is a sociological process over which we should reflect quite a bit.
    Ted was spot-on about oversocialization.

He was spot on about many things. Some of my posts on his thread say as much.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

DOC draws media witnesses for 1st of 25 scheduled executions

At the Oklahoma Department of Corrections headquarters in Oklahoma City on Friday, Aug. 12, DOC public information manager Josh Ward draws raffle tickets to select which media outlets will be permitted to witness the scheduled Aug. 25 execution of death row inmate James Coddington.

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections on Friday drew raffle tickets from a fishbowl to determine which media outlets would be permitted access to witness the Aug. 25 execution of death row inmate James Coddington, the 1st of 25 men scheduled to be put to death over the next 2 years.

Public Radio Tulsa was the only media organization to attend the drawing, which for the 1st time was held at DOC headquarters in Oklahoma City two weeks ahead of the execution. In the past, the drawings had been conducted in the media holding area at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester shortly before each execution.

DOC public information manager Josh Ward said the change was made to simplify the administrative process on the day of each execution.

"To save time," Ward told Public Radio Tulsa when asked. "There's just so much to do that morning and we have to be ready to move when the Division of Institutions calls us, so when everything shuts down there's a whole lot of procedural things to get done."

"It also allows you guys to set your coverage plans a little better," Ward said.

According to state protocol, the Associated Press is guaranteed 1 of 5 media eyewitness seats for each execution. Another seat is reserved for a media organization based in the county where the condemned inmate was convicted.

KWTV, or Oklahoma City's News 9, was selected as the local outlet. Coddington was convicted in Oklahoma County for the 1997 murder of Albert Hale in Choctaw.

In addition to the AP and News 9, The Oklahoman, FOX23, and Public Radio Tulsa were chosen to have reporters present in the gallery adjacent to the death chamber.

Barring court intervention or Gov. Kevin Stitt accepting the clemency recommendation the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board issued earlier this month, Coddington will be the 1st of 25 men scheduled to be put to death, roughly one per month through the end of 2024.

(source: publicradiotulsa.org)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Member
    i had no idea that media witnesses enter a drawing to see this! i thought the media witness was from that state the condemned inmate is to be executed in.

Execution stay denied for death row inmate set for Thursday execution

By Derrick James
    CNHI Oklahoma

A federal appeals court denied a request to stay the execution of an Oklahoma death row inmate scheduled to be put to death Thursday after the court ruled it does not have jurisdiction over “theoretical” claims.

The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against James Coddington’s claims the state’s lethal injection protocol violates Coddington’s rights by not allowing counsel to be present and challenge any possible issues with the IV-setting or drug administration process, stating his claims “allege only a theoretical possibility that something might go wrong.”

“A plaintiff must allege harm separate from whatever is interfering with the plaintiff’s access to the court,” the judges wrote.

Judges wrote Coddington is not likely to succeed because his claims “allege only a theoretical possibility that something might go wrong during the execution process, potentially causing a conscious prisoner to experience severe pain. Mr. Coddington’s alleged injury is therefore ‘conjectural or hypothetical’ not ‘actual or imminent.”’

Coddington, 50, was convicted of first-degree murder in 2003 and received a death sentence in the 1997 murder of 73-year-old Albert Troy Hale at a residence in Oklahoma County. Prosecutors said Coddington beat Hale in the head with a hammer and robbed him for refusing to loan him money to buy cocaine.

His attorneys argued that the state's execution protocol prevents him from communicating constitutional violations to his counsel and prevents counsel "from observing or intervening in problems that may arise during the execution process, including problems setting and maintaining IV access, or problems with the use of an incorrect drug."

Coddington’s attorneys stated that without the ability for Coddington to access counsel up to the moment of execution, he is unable to file an Eighth Amendment claim and that he has “a right to access the courts up until the moment” of death.

The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office argued that there is no right to counsel to search for hypothetical grievances and that counsel are not doctors, which could lead to a “circus” of lawyers and experts within the execution chamber and that allowing a cell phone into the execution chamber “would lead to the distinct possibility of the country’s first livestreamed execution.”

The Appeals Court ruled that Coddington’s claims were “theoretical” and therefore the court does not have jurisdiction over the claim and stated that the right of access to the court is “not a freestanding right, but a means to vindicate other rights.”

Oklahoma’s Pardon and Parole Board voted 3-2 on Aug. 3 to recommend clemency Coddington, who is set to die by lethal injection Thursday as the first in Oklahoma’s two-year plan to execute 25 death row inmates.

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt ultimately decides whether to take the board’s recommendation to grant clemency and has not issued a decision as of Monday.

https://www.normantranscript.com/new...9b520f9f7.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Damn, we're already in the same week as this execution? Time flies!
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information