Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin Robert Cole, Sr. - Oklahoma Execution - October 20, 2022

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    This has to be a joke.
    Last edited by Julius; 06-14-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Even worse is that Cole would have been executed in 2015, if it weren't for the fact that Oklahoma's officials are 40 IQ dullards who would probably try to jam the square in a circle slot, as depicted in the IQ test in the movie "Idiocracy," as well as the meme below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3547hw.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	2114
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Distributed for conference February 18, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-6494.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Cole's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Oklahoma
    Case Numbers: (PCD-2020-529)
    Decision Date: October 7, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_bq7d.pdf

So is Cole back under a sentence of death again now?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I believe so. Cole’s death sentence was vacated by the OCCA, but they later reversed their own decision. Cole appealed that to SCOTUS who denied him. Same with the others who are also back on death row I believe, along with Bench
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Benjamin Cole's execution date has been set for October 20th, 2022.

https://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCase...126&cmid=93281

Member Newbie
    i ll never understand women who wants to marry and make babies from this kind of immature monsters.

Attorneys ask for competency hearing for death row inmate

By K. Querry-Thompson
    KFOR

OKLAHOMA CITY – Attorneys for a death row inmate are asking the court for a competency hearing.

On December 20, 2002, Benjamin Cole told investigators that he was trying to get his 9-month-old daughter to stop crying when he grabbed the baby by the ankles and pushed her legs toward her head until she flipped over.

The baby’s spine was snapped in half and her aorta was completely torn through, according to investigators.

For years, Cole’s attorneys have said that he has suffered from untreated paranoid schizophrenia, and his competency has been called into question.

According to new court documents, Cole’s condition has deteriorated significantly while on death row.

“Mr. Cole has been diagnosed by multiple medical professionals with a deteriorating course of paranoid schizophrenia, and has well-documented and significant brain damage, including a sizable lesion in a region of his brain associated with schizophrenia. Documentation of Mr. Cole’s aberrant behavior and incongruent thought processes began early on in his case, and additional evidence from qualified experts has accumulated over the course of the litigation,” the petition states.

It goes on to say that experts and prison staff have seen his symptoms of schizophrenia, but that Cole has not received any form of treatment for his condition.

His attorneys say his condition has been present throughout his case, saying that “Cole’s lack of interest in his case, his hyper-religiosity, and his fixed delusional thinking that kept him from caring about or assisting in his defense.”

Cole’s attorneys say he is “largely catatonic, rarely leaves his cell, cannot care for his basic hygiene, and can no longer walk.”

During an evaluation in May, Dr. David Hough said Cole “was not able to engage in conversation.” Instead, he made “only spontaneous, disconnected verbalizations.”

As a result, Dr. Hough believes that Cole suffers from severe and chronic schizophrenia with catatonia.

On Monday, Cole’s attorneys filed a petition for writ of mandamus, asking the District Court of Pittsburg County to order a competency hearing in his case.

During an appeal in 2015, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals ruled that Cole was showing minor signs of mental illness but that he was still competent for execution.

“Even though Petitioner was shown minor signs of mental illness, the record reveals that Petitioner’s mental state is not so distorted by delusions or mental illness that his awareness of the crime and punishment has little or no relation to the understanding of those concepts shared by the community as a whole. Petitioner’s lengthy conversations with respondent exhibit the mental state requisite for competence to be executed,” the court wrote in its ruling.

Cole is scheduled to be executed on Oct. 20, 2022.

https://kfor.com/news/local/attorney...th-row-inmate/

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Competency hearing set for death row inmate

By Adrian O'Hanlon III
    CNHI News Service

A judge set a competency hearing for an Oklahoma death row inmate scheduled to be executed in October.

Benjamin Cole, 59, was sentenced to death in the 2002 killing of his 9-month-old daughter in Rogers County and faces an Oct. 20 execution date — but public defenders argue his deteriorating mental state leaves him unfit to be put to death.

“Mr. Cole suffers severe, diagnosed mental illnesses,” attorneys wrote in the request for a competency hearing. “Moreover, Mr. Cole’s mental capacity to consult with his counsel and to participate meaningfully in his defense has been nonexistent and challenged since the inception of this case.”

Court records state Cole was playing a video game in December 2002 when his infant daughter started crying. He paused the game, pulled her feet backward to the point of breaking her spine, then started his game again.

Records state Cole denied any issue when the child’s mom asked why she turned blue and foamed at the mouth.

The child died at the hospital.

Public defenders wrote in the request that Cole’s mental state has been challenged since the case was first filed and reiterated those concerns. They wrote Cole exhibited detached and incongruent behavior, an MRI showed a lesion on his brain, doctors diagnosed him with schizophrenia, and more.

Cole’s competency hearing is set for 9 a.m. Sept. 21 — and court filings show many of the same competency challenges brought in hearings about his case in 2015 before Oklahoma’s moratorium on executions.

Oklahoma’s parole board previously voted 3-2 to deny Cole clemency in August 2015 after defense attorneys and a doctor described his mental state as declining and saying he could barely communicate.

Cole would crawl on the floor and refuse to talk with attorneys or doctors during visits — which an assistant attorney general argued were choices he made and not a sign of insanity.

Prosecutors also argued Cole acknowledged his execution date and signed paperwork, according to the warden and staff at Oklahoma State Penitentiary.

Cole declined to appear for the 2015 clemency hearing — but Cole appeared in a competency hearing later that month, when he answered few questions and told a judge he was being executed to “Go home to be with Jesus,” according to reports at the time. A jury found him competent to proceed.

Cole is also set for a clemency hearing Sept. 27 before the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board.

Oklahoma law requires clemency hearings for death row inmates to be scheduled 21 calendar days before the scheduled execution date.

Each inmate is allowed 20 minutes to speak to the board.

The victims’ families also receive 20 minutes to speak.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys then each get 40 minutes to address the board with the option to reserve time for rebuttals.

Board members will then vote. If the board votes in favor of clemency, the decision will go to Gov. Kevin Stitt, who can then either accept or deny the decision made by the board.

Data from the Death Penalty Information Center shows an Oklahoma governor accepted recommendations for commutations four times since the death penalty was reinstated in 1990.

The most recent was Julius Jones in 2021 by Stitt.

On Sept. 13, 2021, the Board voted to recommend Stitt commute Jones’ sentence to life with the possibility of parole and, on Nov. 1, the board recommended clemency for Jones.

Stitt accepted the commutation just four hours prior to Jones’ scheduled execution and modified the recommendation to ban Jones from applying for “commutation, pardon, or parole for the remainder of his life.”

https://www.normantranscript.com/okl...125222b1b.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information