View Poll Results: Is Richard Glossip Innocent of the Murder of Barry Van Treese?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

10 62.50%
  • Yes

6 37.50%
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Eugene Glossip - Oklahoma Execution - Stayed

Oklahoma man was next in line for execution; still lives on death row 5 years later

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) - There are 47 people on death row right now in Oklahoma, and one of them is Richard Glossip.

He has now seen three execution dates come and go and is still living within jail walls.

Back in 2015, when state leaders put a temporary stop to lethal injection, Glossip was next in line.

In fact, his first execution date was postponed on the day of, after Gov. Mary Fallin, found out the wrong drug was going to be used in his injection.

Glossip, and those who know him, maintain his innocence, but court documents show he was sentenced to death back in 2004 after his boss was beaten to death with a baseball bat.

Glossip was convicted of paying a co-worker, Justin Sneed, to do it.

Our investigations over the years have shown Sneed may have gotten himself out of the death penalty by telling the court he was played by Glossip to kill their boss.

Sneed is now serving a life sentence.

Fox 25 spoke exclusively to Glossip about this, back in 2014. He said, "They wanted a conviction, and they, they got it. Because of Justin Sneed. But Justin knows without a doubt I didn’t do this, his daughter knows without a doubt, I didn’t do this, just by talking to her dad. My attorneys know without a doubt I shouldn’t be here, attorneys in other states know that I shouldn’t be here, and I mean, I understand where they're coming from with what they're saying. But you should have given me the stuff I needed to defend myself properly. Because if you ain’t got money and you can’t afford a good attorney, you don't stand a chance. You really, truly don’t. In a situation like this, with a capital crime."

Glossip, mentioning there his attorneys know he shouldn't be there. Fox 25 reached out to them Thursday. One of them, Don knight, who said, "The Oklahoma Department of Corrections announced today that it is ready to begin executing people again – but gave no explanation of how they will fix a system with deep failings at every stage of the process. Our client, Richard Glossip, who is widely believed to be innocent, has already suffered through three execution attempts for a murder he did not commit. We believe, as do all Oklahomans, that executing an innocent person would be a tragic mistake, no matter which method of execution is used. So while the state says it’s charging ahead towards more executions, we ask how it plans to ensure that it won’t execute an innocent man."

State leaders said they would not set any execution dates for at least 150 more days.

It's unclear if Glossip will be first.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklaho...-5-years-later
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Attorney for Oklahoma death row inmate claims new evidence

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An attorney for an Oklahoma death row inmate testified Wednesday that he has found new potential witnesses who might be able to help his client’s case but who would be prevented from testifying by a state law because his client’s appeals have been exhausted.

Attorney Don Knight, who represents death row inmate Richard Glossip, testified before the House Public Safety Committee during a hearing about the future of the death penalty in Oklahoma.

Glossip was convicted of ordering the beating death of Oklahoma City motel owner Barry Van Treese in 1997 and was sentenced to die. Another man, Justin Sneed, admitted to robbing and beating Van Treese with a baseball bat, but said he did so only after Glossip promised to pay him $10,000. Sneed was sentenced to life in prison.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...s-new-evidence
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death row inmate’s attorney claims possible crucial evidence sits inside Oklahoma County District Attorney’s office

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – An attorney for convicted murderer Richard Glossip believes potential new evidence could lead to his client’s innocence. The death row inmate’s legal team addressed a letter to Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater Thursday morning demanding access.

Glossip’s attorney, Don Knight, tells KFOR he believes there are problem areas in the case.

Glossip was sentenced to death for the 1997 murder of his boss, Barry Van Treese. A co-worker, Justin Sneed, admitted to beating the motel manager with a bat, but claims Glossip gave him money to kill their boss. Sneed was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

Glossip was convicted twice for the murder of Van Treese and has avoided death three times.

Glossip has maintained his innocence for over 20 years. The case was surrounded by controversy for an alleged lack of evidence for being based on the word of an admitted murderer.

With the possibility Oklahoma will resume executions in 2021, Glossip’s attorney is up against the clock.

“I am confident with what I have,” attorney Don Knight said. “I don’t know that Mr. Prater is. What is the purpose of hiding anything at this time?”

Don Knight claims radio silence is coming from Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater. Thursday, Knight addressed a 15-page letter outlining evidence he believes will help prove Glossip’s innocence.

One piece of evidence centers around an alleged flunked polygraph test.

In late 2014, Glossip was denied clemency. A prosecutor at the hearing referenced an alleged failed polygraph test taken by Glossip days after the murder.

Knight writes, “All requests made by previous defense attorneys for a copy were denied”.

“I would say there is a pretty big hole,” Knight said. “I guess you could say that’s a hole, or was there ever even a polygraph?”

Another piece of evidence Knight points out in the letter is “a videotape seized by police from a gas station across the street.” However, on the eve of Glossip’s first trial, Knight writes “an assistant DA didn’t believe it had any evidentiary value.”

“What’s on that video tape?” Knight asked. “I don’t know.”

State Rep. Kevin McDugle filed multiple bills this legislative session regarding the Glossip case, including HB 2219, HB 2220 and HB 1551.

HB 1551 would create a Criminal Investigative Unit (CIU) where an independent investigator would be assigned by the Governor or the Pardon and Parole Board to examine the case.

HB 2219 would allow the release of additional evidence to death row defense attorneys after a conviction.

“We should allow any attorney at any time to be able to come in and look at that evidence to see if there’s something they see that someone else didn’t see,” McDugle said. “Right now, our law doesn’t allow that to happen.”

However, due to Glossip’s double conviction, Prater isn’t forced to release anything. KFOR reached out to Prater by phone and has yet to receive a response. Knight says he hasn’t received a response as well.

“We are not saying to Mr. Prater, ‘You know, gee, let us rummage through your files and see if there is anything that would help us,'” Knight said. “We aren’t desperate. We have put together a really compelling case.”

The letter was also sent to Attorney General Mike Hunter. However, his press team tells KFOR they do not have any control over the alleged evidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.co...ys-office/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Oklahoma State Rep. seeks review of death row conviction

By Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A Republican lawmaker in Oklahoma who supports the death penalty is seeking an independent investigation into the conviction of a death row inmate.

State Rep. Kevin McDugle says he believes new evidence suggests the now 58-year-old Richard Glossip may be innocent.

McDugle says several of his GOP colleagues have agreed to sign on to the letter to Gov. Kevin Stitt and the head of the state’s Pardon and Parole Board.

Glossip was convicted of ordering the 1997 beating death of motel owner Barry Van Treese in Oklahoma City in what prosecutors said was a murder-for-hire.

The man who admitted beating Van Treese to death, Justin Sneed, received a life sentence and testified against Glossip.

https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...ow-conviction/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    34 Oklahoma lawmakers call for review of death row case

By Associated Press

Thirty-four Oklahoma lawmakers, including 28 Republicans, called Wednesday for reopening the investigation that led to the conviction of death row inmate Richard Glossip.

Republican Rep. Kevin McDugle, a death penalty supporter, said new evidence found by Glossip’s attorney, Don Knight, should prompt another investigation into the 1997 beating death of motel owner Barry Van Treese in Oklahoma City in what prosecutors called a murder-for-hire.

Justin Sneed, the man who admitted beating Van Treese to death, was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole in return for his testimony that he killed Van Treese after Glossip promised to pay him $10,000.

In a letter to Gov. Kevin Stitt and the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board, the lawmakers said new evidence that Sneed framed Glossip to avoid a death penalty could show Glossip is innocent.

A spokesperson for Stitt said the letter has not been received.

Oklahoma has executed no one since 2015 when three consecutive executions were flawed. Glossip was hours away from execution that year when prison officials realized they received the wrong lethal drug.

Separately, lawyers for Glossip and several other death row inmates are challenging the state’s lethal injection protocols in a case in federal court in Oklahoma City.

https://apnews.com/article/ok-state-...d9d8ee2d944fa3

Second Clemency Hearing For Death Row Inmate Richard Glossip Not Guaranteed

By Storme Jones
    NEWS 9

The decades long process to execute Richard Glossip could end without another trip before the pardon and parole board.

With execution dates marked on the calendar, Glossip and fellow death row inmate John Marion Grant were unanimously denied clemency by the board in 2014. The board rejected Benjamin Cole’s petition 3-2 in 2015. After being denied in their final appeals, the three, however, were never put to death due to a moratorium on executions implemented in 2015.

Despite an ongoing legal battle over execution protocols in federal court, state leaders announced last year Oklahoma was on track to resume executions. Glossip’s attorney said that could happen as early as August.
    The state court of criminal appeals will begin setting dates for execution once a ruling is handed down in the federal case.

According to state law, “the Chairperson of the Board will schedule a clemency hearing within three (3) business days of receiving the notice of the setting of an execution date by the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, or as soon thereafter as practical.”

It’s unclear if the board would grant Glossip, Grant and Cole an unprecedented second clemency hearing once a new execution date is set.

“There are arguments to be made that would be indicative that another clemency hearing would occur, but again, you are asking me today if I can categorically say that’s going to happen and how it’s going to occur; I can’t do that today,” pardon and parole board director Tom Bates said.

Glossip’s attorney Don Knight appeared with lawmakers Wednesday asking Gov. Kevin Stitt for an independent investigation into Glossip's case. The team’s strategy aims for the investigation to yield a report favorable to Glossip that could be presented at a possible second clemency hearing.

“The pardon and parole board would have an opportunity to recommend clemency to the governor and the governor can grant clemency,” Knight told reporters Thursday.

“I can’t here today categorically state that until we get that advice from our legal counsel,” Bates said.

The board's former chairman, the late Robert Gilliland, told News 9 in 2020 all 47 inmates on death row at the time would receive a hearing once their date was set. Bates who was not with the pardon and parole board at the time said he was not aware of an agreement to re-hear the three rejected petitions.

A federal judge is currently reviewing Oklahoma’s execution protocol. Once executions are cleared to resume, Bates said the board would consider input from legal counsel, victims, and prosecutors before deciding whether a second clemency hearing is appropriate.

“At some point when we get to that point in the process, they’ll make a decision and they’ll make the appropriate decision,” Bates said.

Clemency petitions must first be approved by the five-member pardon and parole board before being considered by the governor.

https://www.newson6.com/story/60cbea...not-guaranteed
    Last edited by Moh; 06-21-2021 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added link

Anti-death penalty advocate weds man on Oklahoma death row

By Sean Murphy
    The Associated Press

Anti-death penalty advocate Lea Rodger says she is keenly aware of the realities facing her and Richard Glossip, who she married this week inside the Oklahoma State Penitentiary where he sits on death row.

Glossip, 59, already has narrowly escaped execution three times and could be the next man Oklahoma puts to death now that the state has lifted a nearly seven-year moratorium on executions put in place due to mishaps in his case and others.

Rodger, 32, a paralegal who has spent more than a decade advocating for an end to capital punishment, says that's one of the reasons she didn't want to waste time marrying her new husband.

“For Rich, surviving three execution attempts, possibly facing a fourth, the one thing he’s really taken away from that is: Don’t take anything for granted ... really live in the moment,” Rodger told The Associated Press before they wed Tuesday in a small ceremony inside the Oklahoma State Penitentiary.

“I think both of us do a good job at that, and that’s why it was important to us that we do this now while we know we can make this commitment with each other," said Rodger, of Lutz, Florida, who is now a law student.

In a statement provided to the AP, Glossip said: “After all I have been through, losing so much of my life and everyone in it, I have been blessed beyond all imagination."

Although marriages of death row inmates don't happen often, they aren't completely unusual either, said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. He said the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Loving v. Virginia, which prohibits bans on interracial marriages, has since been applied to people in prison.

“Marriage is among the fundamental personal rights that prisoners retain," Dunham said.

Some of the most notorious inmates in the country have married after being imprisoned. Convicted serial killer Ted Bundy married his fiancee while on death row in Florida. Erik Menendez and his brother, Lyle Menendez, serving life sentences for murdering their parents in 1989 in their Beverly Hills mansion, both were married in prison. Richard Ramirez, the demonic serial killer known as the Night Stalker who left satanic signs at murder scenes and mutilated victims’ bodies during a reign of terror in the 1980s, wed while on death row in California.

In Oklahoma, marriage ceremonies for people who are incarcerated are conducted twice a year, in March and September. The inmate or fiancee is responsible for all costs associated with the marriage, including court fees and, if necessary, transportation costs if the county requires the couple to sign the county’s marriage record book. Oklahoma does not allow conjugal visits, even for newly married inmates, but Rodger said they were able to hold hands and kiss during Tuesday's ceremony.

It is the second prison marriage for Glossip, who filed for divorce from his first wife, Leigha Joy Jurasik, of New Jersey, who he married in 2018 when Jurasik was 21. They divorced last year, and court records show Jurasik didn’t show up to a hearing last year in which a judge ordered her to pay Glossip $100 per week for 85 weeks to cover a $5,000 alimony award and $3,500 for Glossip’s legal fees. Jurasik didn’t respond to a voicemail and messages seeking comment on her marriage to Glossip.

Glossip is perhaps best known for the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case that bears his name. In 2015, a split court found constitutional the use of the sedative midazolam in lethal injections.

Glossip's case attracted international attention after actress Susan Sarandon — who won an Academy Award for her portrayal of death penalty opponent Sister Helen Prejean's fight to save a man on Louisiana's death row in the 1995 movie “Dead Man Walking” — took up his cause in real life. Prejean herself has served as Glossip’s spiritual adviser and frequently visited him in prison.

Glossip was twice convicted and sentenced to die for ordering the January 1997 killing of Barry Van Treese, who owned the Oklahoma City motel where Glossip worked. Prosecutors said Justin Sneed, a motel handyman, admitted robbing and beating Van Treese, but said he did so only after Glossip promised to pay him $10,000. Sneed, who was the key witness against Glossip at both of his trials, is currently serving a life sentence without parole. Glossip has twice been within hours of receiving a lethal injection when his execution was called off. He got a two-week reprieve in September 2015 to allow his lawyer time to pursue an innocence claim. Two weeks later, after a court rejected that, he was about to be escorted to the execution chamber when prison officials realized they had received the wrong drug for his execution. That led to a nearly seven-year moratorium on the death penalty in Oklahoma that ended last fall. Now, he is the lead plaintiff in a federal lawsuit again challenging the state's lethal injection method as unconstitutional. Another lawyer, Don Knight, is seeking to overturn his conviction based on a claim of innocence.

Sheila Isenberg, who recently finished a second edition of her 1991 book, “Women Who Love Men Who Kill,” and has extensively interviewed women who seek relationships with convicted killers, as well as psychiatrists, social workers and prison officials, said some women are attracted to men who commit particularly heinous crimes, such as serial killers or mass murderers.

“In Richard Glossip’s case, he is neither a serial killer nor a mass murderer, but he is nevertheless notorious,” Isenberg said.

Rodger bristled at the suggestion that Glossip's notoriety is what attracted her to him. She said she never even considered marriage when she added Glossip to a list of prisoners she sends Christmas cards to each year.

Ultimately, correspondence via letters gave way to phone calls, and Rodger said she and Glossip quickly developed a deep connection.

“We had that instant comfort with each other, like you’ve known someone your whole life," she recalled.

“This isn't about attention," she continued. “I'm a very private person. It just happens to be the circumstances that we're in. I believe the attention should be focused on his innocence. He has already lost 25 years of his life."

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/natio...259967195.html

"Oh I can save him" mindset is pure cancer. His third wife (Leigha Jurasik) who was only 20 years old in 2018 when he proposed has recently come out how bad their "marriage" was.

By the way she's been order by a ghoul to pay him $8.5k in alimony.

https://twitter.com/chaosNstardust/s...79145302446091
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Richard Glossip's execution date has been set for September 22nd, 2022.

https://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCase...126&cmid=93281

Oklahoma AG responds after lawmakers call for hearing in death row case

By K. Querry-Thompson
    KFOR

After dozens of Oklahoma lawmakers called on the Oklahoma Attorney General to step in before the execution of a death row inmate, he is speaking out.

Richard Glossip has been on death-row for 25 years for the murder of Barry Van Treese.

The case goes back to 1997, when Glossip and Justin Sneed were convicted of killing Glossip’s boss and owner of the Best Budget Inn, Barry Van Treese.

Sneed confessed to beating Van Treese with a bat. However, Sneed testified that Glossip hired him to kill Van Treese.

In exchange for his testimony, Sneed was given a life sentence. Glossip was sentenced to death.

Earlier this year, Texas-based law firm, Reed Smith, agreed to independently investigate the case for free.

After 3,000 hours of work and a nearly 350-page report, they determined “no reasonable jury would have convicted Richard Glossip.”

Investigators pointed to flawed interrogations, lack of crime scene logs, and missing evidence.

Recently, Glossip’s attorney, Don Knight, said he’s found new evidence and new witnesses to prove Glossip’s innocent.

“Many of those witnesses were at the Best Budget Inn at or around the time of the murder. Some those witnesses were with Sneed in the County Jail immediately after he was brought in in 1997. Some of those witnesses were in prison with Sneed years later,” said Knight. “Those affidavits set forth a very different story than what Justin Sneed has told the police.”

On Monday, dozens of Oklahoma lawmakers came together to call on Oklahoma Attorney General John O’Connor to request for an evidentiary hearing in the case.

If an evidentiary hearing is granted, that alleged new and emerging evidence will be heard in a court of law.

In a letter to the attorney general’s office, 61 Oklahoma lawmakers have said the findings of the Reed Smith report demonstrate a need for the hearing before Glossip’s scheduled execution.

“Over 40% of the Oklahoma legislature have signed on to ask Attorney General O’Connor to join Richard Glossip’s request for an evidentiary hearing,” said Rep. McDugle. “It is my hope and belief that AG O’Connor will move quickly and join this request to the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals.”

“Since new evidence continues to emerge, we know that no jury in Oklahoma has heard the whole story, or seen all the evidence in this case,” said Knight. “We are gratified by the support of so many legislators in Oklahoma who see the value in looking at this new evidence, and urge the Attorney General’s office to join our application for an evidentiary hearing. This will give us the opportunity to present this evidence in court and show that Richard Glossip is an innocent man.”

On Tuesday, Oklahoma Attorney General John O’Connor responded to the letter, saying he is leaving it up to the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals.

“While my office has the utmost respect for the opinions of the members of the Legislature who signed a letter in support of Glossip’s request for an evidentiary hearing, it is the courts who are authorized to make decisions regarding claims of factual or legal innocence raised on appeal,” said Attorney General O’Connor. “With that in mind, I look to the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals to carefully consider the claims before it and render a decision that complies with Oklahoma law.”

Last week, KFOR reached out to Van Treese’s widow but did not hear back.

However, when we last spoke to her in 2017, she said she was confident the state had the right man.

“Without a doubt in my mind, they have who was responsible for masterminding it, who was responsible for covering it up afterwards, who was responsible for the actual crime,” she said.

Glossip is set to be put to death on September 22, 2022.

https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...eath-row-case/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread Information