View Poll Results: Is Richard Glossip Innocent of the Murder of Barry Van Treese?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

10 62.50%
  • Yes

6 37.50%
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Eugene Glossip - Oklahoma Execution - Stayed

Writer of "Dead Man Walking," joins Oklahoma death-row inmate's fight for clemency

The next inmate scheduled to die in Oklahoma is getting some high-profile help as he prepares to face the death chamber. Richard Glossip's new spiritual adviser is Sister Helen Prejean, best known for her work to abolish the death penalty. Sister Prejean wrote the book “Dead Man Walking” about her experiences ministering to those on death row. That book was turned into a critically-acclaimed motion picture.

“He [Glossip] wrote to me, we've been writing for about four or five months,” Sister Prejean told Fox 25. When she learned about his case she began to look into the concerns about Glossip's conviction. This led her to accept his invitation to become a spiritual adviser.

Glossip had been on a hunger strike, but after nearly two weeks of not eating he said he could barely move. Glossip told Fox 25 it was Sister Prejean and his family that convinced him to start eating again to continue his fight. The DOC contends the hunger strike was primarily motivated by Glossip's desire to get food from the canteen rather than the prison cafeteria.

“He has swooped into my soul and into my life and so yes I'm going to fight for him in every way I can to get the truth out,” Sister Prejean said. “To me we have such a broken system; it's on this…one thread, of this one man's word we're sending a man to his death.”

Sister Prejean was referring to the testimony of Justin Sneed, which played a crucial role in Glossip's conviction. Sneed admitted to police that he murdered Barry Van Treese with a baseball bat inside a hotel room. It was later he told authorities Glossip planned the killing and offered to pay him to do it. Glossip has denied that allegation, but his conviction was upheld by a judge who ruled that Glossip's actions after the murder backed up Sneed's testimony. Glossip admits he helped Sneed after he learned of the murder, but said he did not plan it or pay for it.

If the execution is carried out, it will be the 7th Sister Prejean has witnessed at the request of inmates she's worked with. She told Fox 25 there is no way to really prepare to watch someone die, rather she is focused on her mission to raise awareness and advocate for abolishing the death penalty.

“It's all about Richard and it's all about being there for him where it counts fighting where it counts, doing everything within my power to resist this death and to try do to whatever I can to stop this terrible travesty of justice.”

The Pardon and Parole Board voted last October to deny clemency for Glossip. The last prosecutor to try his case wrote to the board to say Glossip had shown no remorse and did not deserve any special treatment from the board.

Van Treese's brother, Kenneth, wrote the board saying that Glossip was “undoubtedly responsible” for his brother's death. “I will speak for my brother,” Kenneth wrote, “It hurts like Hell to have your head bashed in with a baseball bat. Do not feel sorry for the bastard [that] took my life.”

http://www.okcfox.com/story/27886529...t-for-clemency

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    I can respect the work of Sister Prejean as a spiritual adviser however I disagree it isn't all about Richard nor any other condemned it is all about their victim. The condemned had a choice to murder or not to murder the victim had no choice in their death.

Oklahoma’s next to die expresses concerns of prolonged, painful death

McAlester, Okla. — As executions resume in Oklahoma, the state is set to execute another inmate next week.

Video: Oklahoma's next to die expresses fear of prolonged, painful death

Richard Glossip was convicted in 2004 in a murder-for-hire scheme in Oklahoma City. The executioner will inject the same three drugs used to kill Clayton Lockett but will use a higher dosage.

Lockett's death became national news after the drugs failed to kick in quickly.

Could the drugs face problems again? Glossip said he's worried his execution will be botched.

"I’m afraid of how they'll kill me," he said in a phone interview.

Glossip is on death row for ordering an execution. He hired a co-worker to kill his boss.

On Jan. 7, 1997, Oklahoma City officers were called to the Best Budget Inn (now Super 40 Inn) on Council just off of Interstate 40. Inside room 102, they found the badly beaten body of the hotel owner.

Justin Sneed, the hotel maintenance man, confessed to beating Barry Alan Van Treese with a baseball bat. He was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

Sneed told authorities Glossip offered him $10,000 to kill Van Treese. According to court records, Glossip worried he'd soon be fired for embezzling from the hotel.

Glossip maintains his innocence to this day.

In April, Lockett moaned for 43 minutes after drugs were administered. He eventually died of a heart attack.

His execution, one of the longest in U.S. history, halted all executions in Oklahoma while the protocol was investigated.

Oklahoma spent $71,000 renovating the death chamber. Despite continued protests the process still runs a substantial risk of severe pain and a lingering death, executions have resumed.

On Thursday, Charles Warner was executed with the new three-drug formula without any apparent complications. Glossip’s execution is set for Jan. 29.

Two more Oklahoma death row inmates have an execution date set.

John Grant is set to die Feb. 19. He stabbed a prison kitchen worker to death with a screwdriver.

Benjamin Robert Cole Sr., convicted of killing his 9-month-old daughter, is scheduled to die on March 5.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomas-n...death/30805188
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    I served with Bridget Van Treese, the victim's daughter in Qatar back in 2010. She was a reservist out of Tinker Air Force base. I know she was pretty mad that the actual killer Justin Sneed just got an LWOP. She was 20 in 2010, so when her dad was killed she would have been 7 and she still doesn't understand how the actual killer received a lesser punishment than Richard Glossip. In all fairness, I think Oklahoma needs to retry this case and swap punishments for Sneed and Glossip.

I do understand Sneed testified that Glossip paid him money that Sneed himself had stolen. I mean Sneed did the killing and stole the money, and to escape punishment he testified that Glossip masterminded the whole plan, but doesn't make sense that one would do a killing and steal money then give the money one stole to someone else who in all actuality was really just an accessory after the fact. Sneed took all the risk and did all the crime and then turns over money he already has in his possession because Glossip "planned it". More likely Sneed lied about what really happened to escape the DP and the jury bought it.
    Last edited by joe_con; 01-20-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen69 View Post
    Oklahoma’s next to die expresses concerns of prolonged, painful death
    Oh, so LI is 'prolonged' and 'painful', but a hunger strike isn't?

Gotta love that logic.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_con View Post
    I served with Bridget Van Treese, the victim's daughter in Qatar back in 2010. She was a reservist out of Tinker Air Force base. I know she was pretty mad that the actual killer Justin Sneed just got an LWOP. She was 20 in 2010, so when her dad was killed she would have been 7 and she still doesn't understand how the actual killer received a lesser punishment than Richard Glossip. In all fairness, I think Oklahoma needs to retry this case and swap punishments for Sneed and Glossip.

I do understand Sneed testified that Glossip paid him money that Sneed himself had stolen. I mean Sneed did the killing and stole the money, and to escape punishment he testified that Glossip masterminded the whole plan, but doesn't make sense that one would do a killing and steal money then give the money one stole to someone else who in all actuality was really just an accessory after the fact. Sneed took all the risk and did all the crime and then turns over money he already has in his possession because Glossip "planned it". More likely Sneed lied about what really happened to escape the DP and the jury bought it.
    I usually argue that the person who hires the contract killer is more culpable than the person who carries out the killing, but you raise a good point here.

Although why didn't any of the jurors notice this? Because it doesn't sound wholely logical the way you've phrased it. Unless the prosecution had external evidence that Glossip had planned this and Glossip had a significant motive. It's not out of the question that the planning went along the lines of: Glossip asking Sneed to carry out the murder, telling him that there was money on the premises, which when stolen would make the case appear to be a robery gone bad and also provide a means of paying Sneed.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    Read the article, it says he was being investigated by the victim for embezzlement in regard to the hotel's profits. Job loss, criminal charges, and possible civil liability all sound like a motive for me.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    You are right, that does sound like a motive. So Glossip recruits Sneed to carry out the murder and tells him that payment would be from the money that Sneed can steal from Van Treese is an entirely believable story.

Goes to show what happens if you only look at a few facts of a case in isolation.

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    I did not articulate the point I was trying to make which was that Sneed was likely lying and was more culpable in the murder than Glossip. Regardless it is Glossip that will be executed. Those few facts are dependent on believing Sneed who has much to gain by lying.

Chris_Halkides
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep3 View Post
    Read the article, it says he was being investigated by the victim for embezzlement in regard to the hotel's profits. Job loss, criminal charges, and possible civil liability all sound like a motive for me.
    Glossip said that when his lawyer contacted the family for documentation, he was told it had been destroyed in a flood. Glossip said that he had been given bonuses by the victim. Obviously, one would like to verify this information, but (assuming that no documentation of any embezzlement was ever produced), that just leaves Mr. Sneed's testimony.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information