Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Fitzgerald Hanson - Oklahoma Death Row

John Fitzgerald Hanson - Oklahoma Death Row

Mary Agnes Bowles

Jerald Thurman

John Fitzgerald Hanson

Facts of the Crime:

John Fitzgerald Hanson, also known as George John Hanson, was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Mary Agnes Bowles, 77. Prosecutors asserted that Hanson and Victor Cornell Miller carjacked Bowles from the Tulsa Promenade mall parking lot on August 31, 1999, and drove her to a secluded area in north Tulsa County, where Owasso trucking company owner Jerald Thurman was picking up a load of dirt. At multiple trials, prosecutors maintained that Miller shot Thurman before Hanson shot Bowles. At a 2001 trial, a jury handed Hanson a death sentence for murdering Bowles and imposed a no-parole life prison term for the murder of Thurman, 44. Miller was also sentenced to death.

For more on Miller, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...=victor+miller

April 14, 2009

An appeals court has affirmed a death penalty imposed at a Tulsa County resentencing trial that resulted when that appellate court overturned a death sentence imposed at the original trial.

In an order dated Monday, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals upheld a death sentence for John Fitzgerald Hanson, also known as George John Hanson, for the murder of Mary Agnes Bowles, 77.

Prosecutors asserted that Hanson and Victor Cornell Miller carjacked Bowles from the Tulsa Promenade mall parking lot on Aug. 31, 1999, and drove her to a secluded area in north Tulsa County, where Owasso trucking company owner Jerald Thurman was picking up a load of dirt.

At multiple trials, prosecutors maintained that Miller shot Thurman before Hanson shot Bowles.

At a 2001 trial, a jury handed Hanson a death sentence for murdering Bowles and imposed a no-parole life prison term for the murder of Thurman, 44.

In 2003, the state appeals court overturned Hanson’s death sentence after finding that an accumulation of reversible error at his trial in District Judge Linda Morrissey’s court required a resentencing proceeding.

In that decision, the appeals court affirmed Hanson’s two murder convictions and left intact the no-parole life term for Thurman’s death.

At a 2006 trial in then-Associate District Judge Caroline Wall’s court — where a punishment for the Bowles murder was the only issue for jurors to decide — Hanson again was sentenced to die.

The appeals court affirmed that outcome by a 5-0 vote in its ruling issued this week. Hanson, 45, has other appeal options in state and federal courts.

At a retrial last year, Miller, 46, was convicted of both murders and sentenced to die for both. That outcome is on appeal.

At a 2002 trial, Miller was convicted of both murders and sentenced to die for the Thurman killing. He got a no-parole life term for the Bowles murder.

The appeals court overturned those results in 2004 and granted Miller the new trial that was held in 2008.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_Anappe215116

On February 24, 2010, Hanson filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/okl...cv00113/29204/

Okla. appeals court affirms Hanson death penalty

An Oklahoma appeals court has upheld the first-degree murder conviction and death sentence of a Tulsan convicted in the 1999 shooting death of a retired banker.

The state Court of Criminal Appeals issued the decision Tuesday that upholds the penalty for John Fitzgerald Hanson.

Hanson was originally convicted and sentenced to die in 2001 for the shooting death of 77-year-old Mary Bowles. The death penalty was once overturned - but he was against sentenced to death at another punishment trial in 2006.

Hanson claimed on appeal that his attorney was ineffective for failing to present evidence of alleged mental illness at his resentencing trial. But the court says psychologists who examined Hanson did not suggest his mental health needed to be investigated.

The court voted 5-0 to deny the appeal.

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=14298983

Son Of Man Murdered 13 Years Ago Still Awaiting Closure

An Owasso businessman, Jerald Thurman, died 13 years ago Friday, after being shot 3 times, while trying to save the life of a woman he had never met.

The two killers were sentenced to death row and are still there.

Thurman's only son, Jake, was just 19 at the time.

Jake Thurman had to drop out of college and take over the family business to support his mother, when his father was murdered.

Jake is now a married man with a son of his own, a little boy who is the spitting image of the grandfather he will never know.

Jerald Thurman ran Jet Trucking, and was much loved by family and friends, who say he was loud, outspoken, and fun to be around.

On August 31, 1999, while filling a dump truck for a load, he saw a suspicious car with people in it and told his nephew, on the phone, he was going to check it out.

Jerald was found shot three times with a .38 caliber gun. He died two weeks later on September 14.

Police later figured out the same men who killed Jerald had kidnapped and killed 77-year-old Mary Bowles, a retired banker who volunteered at several places in Tulsa.

Two good people were murdered for no good reason and a 19-year-old man's life was changed forever.

"Daily—every day it impacts my family, at home, or work or here. If it wasn't for God, family and friends, I don't know where I'd be," Jake said.

Jake was, all of a sudden, the breadwinner of the family, running a company, where just weeks before his biggest concern was passing a college algebra test.

The killers, Victor Miller and John Hanson, were sentenced to death, but after 13 years of appeals, are still alive.

"We've all been through a lot and we are ready for some closure," Jake said. "I'm afraid Mom's not going to be around to see that day come."

He said there was a time when he was consumed with anger and wanted his own justice, but now trusts that God will make something good come out of all this heartbreak and tragedy.

He is now focused on passing down the morals he learned from his father to his own little boy.

Three-year-old Jet looks so much like his grandpa, Jerald.

"That's what really eats at me the most. My father's not here to spend time with my son," Jake said.

Miller had already been convicted of murder in 1981 and sentenced to life, but was released.

Hanson was convicted of a string of felonies and got a sentence of life plus 157 years in federal prison, and that's where he is now. He's not housed on death row.

No execution date has been set for either man.

http://www.newson6.com/story/1954943...aiting-justice
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jan
    On July 1, 2013, the district court denied Hanson's petition for writ of habeas corpus but granted a COA as to specifically enumerated claims.

JOHN FITZGERALD HANSON v. E. SCOTT PRUITT

On July 31, 2013, Hanson appealed to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir.../ca10/13-5100/

On January 20, 2015, oral argument will be heard in Hanson's appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.

http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/sites/d...2015_Cal_0.pdf

ganeshn2
    If all goes well in the 10th circuit, after the 4 scheduled execution of 4 inmates, I believe, he is in the next in line from OK-DOC roster.

Probably ahead of Hanson will be Julius Darius Jones, who was denied by the Tenth on December 5th.

ganeshn2
    Somehow I missed his name, and I noticed it after posting. I believe he will file writ of certiorari to US-SC. How long does that take? With successful execution yesterday, I believe, he will no other venue, except for this writ.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information