Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marlon Deon Harmon - Oklahoma Death Row

Assuming McGirt doesn't ruin their cases, the first three will almost certainly be Glossip, Cole, and Grant. They were up for execution in 2015. But I agree Stouffer should be first - best to get him before he croaks. He'll be 79 in September I think - He'd be the second oldest inmate ever executed.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Like I said it would make sense for them to target the above three I mentioned. Two of them lost out at the Supreme Court after McGirt. The McGirt ruling has limited who they can target The three I mentioned are the least likely out of the warrant ready inmates to get relief from McGirt especially Harmon since his victim was an Indian from India not a native Indian.
    The murder was in OKC, which is not within the tribal jurisdiction anyway. Where things might get tricky is the line runs right through metropolitan Tulsa, so there might be an issue if certain elements of a crime took place in different jurisdictions.

Harmon and Davis lost out at the Supreme Court after McGirt. This ruling doesn’t make any sense to me how would it be that Harmon or Davis gets relief neither of them are Native American so how could that ruling apply to them?
    Last edited by Neil; 03-02-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Harmon's appeal had nothing to do with McGirt. His attorney's were claiming that an illegally obtained confession was improperly admitted to the sentencing phase. McGirt would not apply anyway, because the crime was on unambiguously state land. What McGirt did was specific to the Major Crimes Act, which placed Native American defendants solely under the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts for crimes on tribal lands. There are other cased involving similarly located Native American victims, who, should McGirt be extended to apply to the General Crimes Act, would then move the jurisdiction out of state courts and to either a tribal or federal court.

Harmon would be Oklahoma’s safest bet. As you said Schmutz that there maybe problems once it comes time to execute him. You did say that the lines runs through the Tulsa metro. However, I can’t see how there would be issues but still that’s what’s makes this ruling very hard to understand.

There wouldn't be McGirt issues because the crime was in Oklahoma City, not Tulsa. 45% of the land in OK is subject to tribal jurisdiction, but only ~25% of the major metropolitan area. i posted a link to a map in one of these threads showing the covered area.

Quote Originally Posted by schmutz View Post
    The murder was in OKC, which is not within the tribal jurisdiction anyway. Where things might get tricky is the line runs right through metropolitan Tulsa, so there might be an issue if certain elements of a crime took place in different jurisdictions.
    That’s the quote I was referring to so for Marlon he’s seeing Oklahoma’s execution chamber correct?

Quite likely, and deservedly so.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Marlon Harmon's execution date has been set for December 5th, 2024.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2022-07-01.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information