Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Julius Darius Jones - Oklahoma

Prosecutor wants two parole board members off Julius Jones' commutation hearing

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater on Wednesday asked the state’s high court to toss two Pardon and Parole Board members off Monday’s commutation hearing for convicted killer Julius Jones.

Jones was convicted of murder for the 1999 shooting death of Edmond businessman Paul Howell in front of his two children and sister in his parents’ driveway. Howell’s brown Suburban was taken.

Jones has maintained his innocence, and his case has received national and international attention as he faces the death penalty.

Although Oklahoma Attorney General John O’Connor has asked the Court of Criminal Appeals for an execution date, none has been set.

Jones’ commutation hearing before the five-member Pardon and Parole Board is set to take place on Monday.

Prater is asking that the commutation hearing be put on hold pending the outcome of his filing with the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

Prater alleges that Pardon and Parole Board Chairman Adam Luck has conflicts of interest and bias.

He also alleges that board member Kelly Doyle is biased and has conflicts of interest and the appearance of impropriety.

Prater alleges that Luck has a conflict of interest between his duties to the board and his private employer and a conflict between his board duties and his private political agenda.

Prater says Luck works for City Care, a nonprofit that assists homeless people and people returning from incarceration. He is also on the national board of the Center for Employment Opportunities, a nonprofit that serves those recently released from incarceration, according to documents.

Doyle is the regional director for the Center for Employment Opportunities, according to documents. The Center for Employment Opportunities is a member of Oklahomans for Criminal Justice Reform, which works to reduce incarceration rates, according to Prater’s office.

The prosecutor also points to social media posts by Luck that he says show bias toward offenders.

“Luck’s constant posts about how wonderful he is for releasing inmates is fine if he were not a member of the Board that decides on the inmate’s release,” Prater said in documents seeking the recusal.

Prater alleges that the Center for Employment Opportunities, Doyle’s employer, benefits greatly by her votes on the board, the documents say.

“Doyle’s private employment colors her judgement when voting to parole, commute or release any inmate,” Prater continues.

Pardon and Parole Board Director Tom Bates declined to comment.

Prater is also asking the Pardon and Parole Board to disqualify Jones from commutation based on a rule that says if an offender receives a misconduct citation while in Stage 2 of the process, the inmate can’t appear before the board and becomes ineligible.

Jones received a misconduct citation for having illicit drugs in his system after the board voted to send him to Stage 2, according to documents.

“Either Jones is receiving special treatment because his ‘case is receiving national attention,’ or the Board has simply decided not to follow its own rules,” Prater says in documents.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...e69091c7a.html
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I think he’ll either get stayed or receive clemency
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Stayed would be more likely. Clemency petition might be granted. This could play out in many directions or even execution.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Why wouldn't he? The state won't execute any of them anyway.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Execution dates set for Julius Jones, 6 other Oklahoma death row inmates

By The Oklahoman

High-profile death row inmate Julius Jones has been scheduled for execution Nov. 18.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Monday set execution dates for Jones and six other inmates convicted of murder.

The court set the date for Jones even though the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board has recommended Gov. Kevin Stitt commute his death sentence.

The board voted 3-1 Sept. 13 to recommend his sentence be commuted to life in prison. If the governor agrees, Jones would be immediately eligible for parole.

Stitt could choose to commute the sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He also could deny commutation.

Oklahoma's new attorney general, John O'Connor, asked the court to schedule the execution dates.

O'Connor made the request in August after a federal judge ruled six of the inmates could no longer participate in a legal challenge to the state's execution procedures.

“The seven inmates to be scheduled for execution were convicted of heinous crimes,” O’Connor said in August. “They either didn't challenge the protocol or offer an alternative method of execution."

The ongoing lawsuit focuses mainly on the use of a sedative, midazolam, in lethal injections.

Jones, 41, is facing execution for the 1999 fatal shooting of an Edmond insurance executive during a carjacking. Jurors chose the death penalty as punishment at a 2002 trial.

The victim, Paul Howell, was gunned down in his parents' driveway in Edmond after a back-to-school shopping trip with his daughters. Stolen was his 1997 Suburban.

Jones claims that he is innocent, that the real killer framed him and that his trial was unfair.

"I am not the only young Black male whose public defenders were overmatched, whose juries were biased, who were chewed up and spit out by a system that packs our prisons with people who look just like me," he wrote in a letter sent to the board.

Millions signed a petition in his support after ABC in 2018 aired the documentary series, "The Last Defense," about his innocence claim.

Oklahoma has not carried out an execution since 2015.

Scheduled for execution first is John Marion Grant, 60, an armed robber who was sentenced to death for fatally stabbing a prison kitchen worker in 1998.

His execution was set for Oct. 28.

Next is Jones.

Third is Bigler Jobe Stouffer, 78, who was sentenced to death for the 1985 fatal shooting of a Putnam City elemetary school teacher. His execution was set for Dec. 9.

Stouffer did not join dozens of other death row inmates in the legal challenge to the execution protocol. His attorney, though, told the Court of Criminal Appeals he will file his own challenge.

Fourth is Wade Greely Lay, 60, who was sentenced to death for killing a security guard during a botched bank robbery in 2004. His execution was set for Jan. 6.

Fifth is Donald A. Grant, 45, who was sentenced to death for killing two workers at the LaQuinta Inn in Del City during a 2001 robbery. His execution was set for Jan. 27.

Sixth is Gilbert Ray Postelle, 35, who was convicted of murdering four people on Memorial Day 2005 outside a trailer in Del City. He was sentenced to death for two of the murders and to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the other two.

His execution was set for Feb. 17.

Seventh is James Allen Coddington, 49, who was sentenced to death for killing a Choctaw man in 1997 during a cocaine binge. His execution was set for March 10.

O'Connor initally had asked for earlier dates. He revised his request when the appeals court did not act. He told the court he was doing so so that inmates will get a required notice and to allow the parole board time to conduct clemency hearings.

In the order, the judges on the Court of Criminal Appeals found that the setting of execution dates is now appropriate and required by law.

They acknowledged in a footnote that they are aware of Jones' commutation request. They wrote "this Court's duty to set a date certain is dictated" by law because there is currently no stay in effect.

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/...es/8384218002/
    Last edited by Julius; 09-20-2021 at 01:16 PM.

I'm hoping other dates have been set for the other 6.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Paul Howell's family upset by board's decision to recommend commutation for Julius Jones

The family and prosecution believe the defense doesn't have the facts of Paul Howell's murder and was influenced by social media public relations campaigns by A-list celebrities

By Christine Stanwood
    COCO News 5

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board voted in favor of recommending that death row inmate Julius Jones' sentence be commuted.

Jones has been on death row after being convicted in the 1999 killing of Edmond businessman Paul Howell. With the recommended commutation, Jones could go from the death penalty to life in prison.

Howell's family and Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater spoke out against the recommendation.

"We are devastated by the decision reached today by the Pardon and Parole Board," Paul Howell's brother, Brian Howell, said. "Today's proceeding was in no way fair."

Paul Howell's family was displeased by and upset with the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board's decision to recommend commutation for Jones.

"The Pardon and Parole Board had no intention of following its own state rules regarding the providing of false information and not relitigating facts available to the jury and reviewed by the appellate process," Brian Howell said.

The family and prosecution believe the defense doesn't have the facts of Paul Howell's murder and was influenced by social media public relations campaigns by A-list celebrities.

"The phrase we came up with was 'David against Goliath,'" Brian Howell said.

"They spent a lot of money over the past couple of years and got exactly what they wanted," Prater said.

Paul Howell's daughter, Rachel, provided emotional testimony during Monday's hearing.

"I wasn't able to grow up with a dad because of Julius Jones," she said. "My dad didn't get to see me off on my first prom, graduate high school or college, help me move to a new city, walk my sister down the aisle when she got married."

Jones has maintained his innocence throughout the 22 years following Paul Howell's murder. His family sympathizes with Howell's family.

"I pray for the Howell family, and I know they probably don't believe that. But I pray for them just like I pray for us," Jones' mother, Madeline Davis-Jones, said. "We feel pain just like they do and would love to really just sit down, fellowship with them."

The final decision on whether Jones' sentence will be commuted is up to Gov. Kevin Stitt.

"We sincerely hope that Gov. Stitt will review this case and treat us more fairly than the criminal justice reformers on this board," Brian Howell said.

https://www.koco.com/article/paul-ho...jones/37581226
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Prosecutor again asks court to bar duo from death row case

By Ken Miller
    Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An Oklahoma prosecutor is again asking the state Supreme Court to remove two members of the Pardon and Parole Board from the case of a high-profile death row inmate.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater filed the motion Monday to remove Kelly Doyle and Andrew Luck from the clemency hearing for Julius Jones. Prater alleges the two are biased because of their work with inmates on criminal justice reform.

“Both Adam Luck and Kelly Doyle engage in political activities that work to release inmates from prison, all of which makes their Board decisions, at the very least, have an appearance of impropriety,” Prater wrote.

The court previously rejected Prater’s request to remove the two from Jones’ commutation hearing on the same grounds.

Attorneys for Luck, Doyle and the board have filed motions to dismiss the request, arguing that it is moot because of the court's prior rejection of the claims.

Prater counters that the motion is a continuation of the original request.

The five-member board voted 3-1 on Sept. 13 to recommend that Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt commute Jones’ sentence to life in prison. Luck and Doyle both supported commutation. Board member Scott Williams recused from the vote because of a professional relationship with an attorney who spoke on Jones’ behalf.

Stitt said he would await the outcome of the clemency hearing, which is set for Oct. 26. Jones is scheduled for execution Nov. 18.

Jones, now 41, was convicted in the 1999 slaying of Edmond businessman Paul Howell.

Jones has consistently maintained his innocence and alleges he was framed by the actual killer, a high school friend and former co-defendant who was a key witness against him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ase/ar-AAPcUB9
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Considering Doyle and Luck voted for clemency for Grant, I'd have to say they both have no place on the board.

Junior Member Stranger
    I would have more respect for these people if they opposed his execution because they oppose capital punishment. People need to read trial transcripts and appeals instead of being swayed by dumb celebrities.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information