Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Chandler Ryder - Oklahoma Execution - Stayed

Well let's see if any of the inmates or attorneys try to pull an Elizabeth Warren and claim an inmate or their victim is 1/1000th Indian or something.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Is there a realistic chanche, that the McGirt decision will be overturned if Ryders death sentence is overturned and Hunter takes his case to SCOTUS again?

Not likely. Roberts is not one to overturn precedent and Gorsuch who will always side with tribes it’s here to stay. Had Trump won re-election it probably would’ve been tossed out since he might’ve had a chance to replace Breyer.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Congress can always disestablish the reservations, but that won't apply retroactively.

Oklahoma court overturns two death sentences, citing McGirt

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Thursday overturned the death sentences of two more convicted killers, following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that Oklahoma lacks jurisdiction for crimes on tribal reservations in which the defendants or victims are tribal citizens.

The court reversed the convictions of Benjamin Robert Cole Sr., 56, and 59-year-old James Chandler Ryder. Cole had been sentenced to death for killing his 9-month-old daughter in Rogers County in 2002. Ryder had been sentenced to death for the 1999 killing of Daisy Hallum, 70, and to life without parole for killing her son, Sam Hallum, 38, in Pittsburg County.

Phone calls to the attorney representing Cole and Ryder were not immediately returned.

In both cases, the crimes occurred on land within a tribe’s historical reservation and the victims were found to be, or were posthumously enrolled, as tribal citizens.

According to the Supreme Court ruling, known as McGirt, the cases now fall to federal authorities to pursue. Indictments have been issued in Cole’s case.

The state court has overturned at least eight murder convictions and the manslaughter conviction of a former Tulsa police officer based on McGirt, in addition to numerous other cases.

https://apnews.com/article/oklahoma-...d1d1c8e77ef64e
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Distributed for conference February 18, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-6432.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Ryder's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Oklahoma
    Case Numbers: (PCD-2020-613)
    Decision Date: October 21, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_bq7d.pdf

Ryder is apparently on death row, as he is among the men for whom an execution date has been requested.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Yeah he was put back on death row when SCOTUS denied cert last time.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    James Ryder's execution date has been set for June 1st, 2023.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2022-07-01.pdf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information