Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Castillo Sanchez - Oklahoma Execution - September 21, 2023

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Anthony Sanchez's execution date has been set for April 6th, 2023.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2022-07-01.pdf

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Can’t say I’m surprised this guy murdered someone almost immediately after turning 18. Dude looks like he eats dried glue.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Oklahoma AG asking for delay in executions

By K. Querry-Thompson
    KFOR

Just days after taking office, Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond has filed a motion to delay several executions in the state.

Drummond filed a motion with the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, requesting that seven impending executions be conducted with more time between each event.

He says the current schedule is putting pressure on understaffed DOC employees.

“I was honored to spend time with these outstanding men and women who work every month to carry out the State’s highest punishment and deliver justice to the families of victims,” Drummond said. “I observed their respect for the solemnity of their duty. I saw their regard for the family and loved ones of victims. Oklahoma is fortunate to have dedicated public servants who are willing to train for and carry out a task of such gravity.”

Oklahoma has had four executions over nearly five months and 21 others are pending.

“As is to be expected, DOC leadership and personnel have continuously sought to learn and improve during the process,” states the Jan. 17 filing. “One aspect that has become clear over time is that the current pace of executions is unsustainable in the long run, as it is unduly burdening the DOC and its personnel. This is especially true given the extensive and intensive nature of the training DOC personnel undergo to prepare for each execution.”

If granted, the request would delay the executions for Richard Glossip, Jermaine Cannon, Anthony Sanchez, Phillip Hancock, James Ryder, Michael Smith, and Wade Lay.

The executions would be pushed back by 60 days.

Before filing the motion, Drummond says he visited with family members of the victims of the inmates to explain the reason for the request.

“I do not take lightly this request,” Drummond said. “These families have waited many years to see justice done, and I am grateful for their understanding in this matter.

https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-ag-as...in-executions/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Execution date rescheduled for September 21, 2023.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2023-01-24.pdf

“The family of Juli Busken deserves to know the truth,” Oklahoma death row inmate files for evidentiary hearing

By Katelyn Ogle
    KFOR

Attorneys and the spiritual advisor of an Oklahoma death row inmate believe their client is innocent. They claim the actual perpetrator of the crime is the suspect’s father.

The attorneys for Anthony Sanchez filed for a new evidentiary hearing on Friday. Sanchez is set to be executed on September 21, 2023.

“The family of Juli Busken deserves to know the truth. And I have no doubt that the truth is that Anthony Sanchez did not kill their daughter,” said Rev. Dr. Jeff Hood, Sanchez’s spiritual advisor.

In 1996, prosecutors said OU student Juli Busken, vanished after dropping her friend off at the airport. Hours later, she was found dead at Lake Stanley Draper. Prosecutors said the 21-year-old had been abducted, sexually assaulted, and shot.

“She was tied up and she was shot execution style,” said Hood.

The suspect was on the loose until 2004, when an OSBI agent allegedly connected Anthony Sanchez in the DNA Index System Database with Busken’s homicide.

“This is right around the time that everything’s happening with Joyce Gilchrist in Oklahoma City, with them manipulating results,” said Hood.

Hood said investigators claimed Sanchez was robbing cars, to pay for Christmas presents, when he saw the 21-year-old and jumped at the opportunity.

“It doesn’t make sense for someone to, you know, just all of a sudden decide, ‘Oh, I’m going to, I’m just going to rape and kill someone,’” said Hood.

Sanchez’s team said the only thing linking their client to the crime was an alleged “cold DNA match.” There were also questions about footprints and bullets found at the scene.

“There were like, there were no fingerprints in the car. They found 40 something fingerprints and none of them matched Anthony,” said Hood.

The legal team also said there was another red flag, a sketch of the suspect, made after investigators talked to witnesses.

“Anthony doesn’t have the facial structure, the facial makeup that looks like this, this sketch. But we do see with Glenn, Anthony’s dad, a very similar facial structure,” said Hood.

Then, Hood said a big break in the case surfaced a few months ago.

“Anthony’s stepmother revealed to me that before Glenn committed suicide, on multiple instances he had confessed to killing Juli Busken,” said Hood. “He would say, you know, ‘I should have done a better job of hiding that body.’”

Sanchez has always maintained his innocence even after the jury handed down the verdict in 2006.

“[Sanchez] turned around and said, ‘Mr. and Mrs. Busken, I did not kill your daughter.’ He was telling the truth,” said Hood. “The state of Oklahoma has left Anthony Sanchez to rot on death row, and now is the time to correct this mistake that has been done to him, that has been done to the family of Julie Baskin and let him free him.”

“Today, my legal team filed an application for post-conviction relief on my behalf proclaiming my innocence. The family of Juli Busken deserves to know the truth. I’m so thankful to my spiritual advisor Rev. Dr. Jeff Hood, attorney Mark Barrett, attorney Greg Gardner, investigator David Ballard and his team, friends Alli Sullivan & Abe Bonowitz of Death Penalty Action, and a number of others for helping bring this moment about.”

News 4 asked the state’s new attorney general, Gentner Drummond, for comment. We’re told the office doesn’t usually comment on pending litigation.

News 4 also reached out to the Busken family online and by phone, we did not hear back.

https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...tiary-hearing/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Laughable at best

It’s honestly pathetic trying to pin this on his father. Nobody on Earth has the same DNA sequence, aside from twins. The DNA match came back to him, not his father.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

This got me curious, so I looked it up. There is no way his father did this because the investigators found his semen all over the place, including in her anus.

When they found her car, items were missing, including her cell phone. The cell phone placed a call to Sanchez's gf a day after the murder.

Excerpt

The State presented evidence at trial that Appellant's DNA matched the DNA profile generated from the sperm cell fraction isolated on Ms. Busken's panties; and also matched the sperm cell fraction isolated from the stained pink leotard discarded at the crime scene. The matches corresponded to Appellant's known DNA at all sixteen genetic loci tested. The State's DNA expert characterized the probability of a random DNA match on the Busken evidence with an unrelated individual other than Appellant as 1 in 200.7 trillion Caucasians, 1 in 20.45 quadrillion African Americans, and 1 in 94.07 trillion Southwest Hispanics.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ok-court...s/1500256.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

DNA tests disprove death row inmate's claim that father killed OU ballerina

Editor’s note: This story contains mentions of sexual assault and suicide. A list of resources is included at the bottom of the story. New DNA testing disproved a death row inmate's claim that his father killed Juli Busken, a former OU ballerina.

On Feb. 3, Anthony Castillo Sanchez, who was given the death penalty in 2006 for the rape and murder of Juli Busken, challenged his conviction, claiming his father confessed to the crime before he died by suicide last year.

Busken, a 21-year-old OU dance student, was found dead on the southeast side of Lake Stanley Draper in Oklahoma City, 12 hours after disappearing from her Norman apartment the morning of Dec. 20, 1996. Busken had been bound, raped and shot in the back of the head with a .22-caliber firearm according to court documents. Busken graduated from the OU School of Dance earlier that month.

Using DNA recovered from the crime scene, charges were filed against the DNA profile of the unknown killer, a profile that was then entered into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS database.

After 8 years, in July of 2004, CODIS made a tentative match between a DNA sample taken from Sanchez when he entered the prison system on a burglary conviction and the DNA sample found at the crime scene, according to court documents. Sanchez was then charged with Busken's murder, but he claimed he was innocent.

In 2006, Sanchez was charged with one count of first degree murder, 1st-degree rape, forcible sodomy and kidnapping. A few days later, after deliberation, the Cleveland County jury recommended Sanchez receive the death penalty.

Earlier this month, with his execution set for Sept. 21, Sanchez claimed that his father, Thomas Glen Sanchez, is Busken's killer.

Thomas, 68, died by suicide in April on his girlfriend's front porch in Midwest City. His girlfriend, Charlotte Beattie, said Thomas confessed to Buskin’s rape and murder multiple times, the first time being in 2020.

"Glen said that he regretted Anthony was on death row for something Glen did. But he said that Anthony was tough and could deal with being locked up, whereas Glen wasn't strong enough to adapt to being incarcerated," Beattie wrote in a sworn declaration.

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond and his assistants told the court these confessions, if true, were most likely just intended to scare Beattie.

"The possibility that the DNA could actually belong to the petitioner's father was already explored and rejected at trial," state attorneys told the court.

The state's DNA expert, Melissa Keith, testified at trial that evidence from the victim's underwear and pink leotard was consistent with Sanchez's DNA, according to court documents.

According to the testimony, the probability of the match being a mistake was 1 in 200 quadrillion for Caucasians, 1 in 20 quintillion for African Americans and 1 in 94 quadrillion for Southwest Hispanics, according to court documents.

In an effort to unequivocally debunk the claim, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation conducted new DNA tests in February using a blood sample from Thomas obtained by the medical examiner's office.

The OSBI concluded the father's DNA "does not match" the DNA evidence from the leotard, according to The Oklahoman.

Drummond and his assistants told the court that these results reconfirm Sanchez's conviction.

"This very recent lab report yet again confirms what the state and the courts have already known for many years now: Petitioner, and petitioner alone, is responsible for the abduction, rape, forcible sodomy and brutal murder of Juli Busken on the morning of December 20, 1996," Drummond and his assistants told the court.

(source: oudaily.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Okay, so his daddies DNA is not a match, so this guy is guilty. Look at the odds that it's not him.

the probability of the match being a mistake was 1 in 200 quadrillion for Caucasians, 1 in 20 quintillion for African Americans and 1 in 94 quadrillion for Southwest Hispanics

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information