Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roderick Lynn Smith - Oklahoma

Smith's panel will be made up of Judges Lucero (Clinton), Matheson (Obama) and Phillips (Obama).

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/sites/...2019_Final.pdf

Smith's death sentence was vacated by the 10th Circuit on the 26th of August 2019.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...019-08-26.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Oklahoma City man who killed his family no longer facing death penalty

By Nolan Clay
    The Oklahoman

An Oklahoma City man convicted of killing his wife and her four children in 1993 will be getting off of death row unless the U.S. Supreme Court gets involved in his case.

A federal judge vacated Roderick L. Smith's death sentences in December after the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled he "is intellectually disabled as a matter of law and therefore constitutionally ineligible for execution."

The judge in January agreed to give the state attorney general, Mike Hunter, more time to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the ruling.

Jurors at a 2010 retrial chose two death sentences as punishment for Smith for suffocating his two stepdaughters. Jurors chose sentences of life in prison without the possibility of parole as punishment for fatally stabbing his wife and two stepsons.

If the decision stands, Smith will remain in prison and begin serving the no-parole life terms. He also could be resentenced for his stepdaughters' murders — to life in prison or life without the possibility of parole.

Smith, now 53, was an elementary school custodian. He confessed to police he stabbed his wife, Jennifer Smith, 31, during an argument over his being laid off.

He told police he stabbed her sons, Ladarian Carter, 7, and Glen Edward Carter Jr., 9, when they tried to help her. He said he then killed the girls, Shameka Carter, 10, and Kenesha Carter, 6.

The victims’ decomposing bodies were found on June 28, 1993, inside their Oklahoma City home.

In a decision in 2002 in a Virginia case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that mentally retarded murderers cannot be executed because of the Eighth Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. Justices now use the phrase "intellectually disabled" instead.

Smith at the time was on death row for all five murders.

Because of the landmark ruling, Smith got a new trial in 2004 solely on the issue of his mental functioning. Jurors at that trial decided he was not mentally retarded despite evidence he had IQ scores as low as 55, well below normal.

Shortly afterward, though, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned his death sentences. The appeals court found his lead defense attorney at the original 1994 trial failed to adequately represent him.

That decision led to another retrial in 2010.

The ruling on appeal that he is intellectually disabled came in August. The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals refused in December to reconsider that ruling.

In their opinion, appellate judges were critical of a prosecution expert who had suggested Smith was deliberately doing poorly on his IQ tests. They said the expert "had no prior experience with the intellectually disabled and practiced almost exclusively in the unrelated field of forensic psychology."

The appellate judges also were critical of the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals which had concluded the evidence at the 2004 trial "portrayed Smith as a person who is able to understand and process information, to communicate, to understand the reactions of others, to learn from experience or mistakes, and to engage in logical reasoning."

https://oklahoman.com/article/565520...-death-penalty

Distributed for conference June 25, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-1106.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference July 1, 2020.

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Today the Supreme Court DENIED the State's cert petition.

"There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Pathetic 26 agonizing years of pain for that family and he’ll get off Scott free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information