Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christian M. Longo - Oregon

Story of killer Christian Longo featured on ABC-TV's 'Final Witness'

View full episode.

The Longo children

The story of an Ypsilanti man who moved his family to Oregon and then killed them before leading federal officials on a manhunt was dramatized Wednesday night on the ABC-TV show "Final Witness."

The show detailed the 2001 case that horrified the nation.

The bodies of Christian Longo's wife, MaryJane Longo, 34, and their children Zachery, 4, Sadie, 3, and Madison, 2, were found in a river near Waldport, Ore.

The killings exposed Longo's series of thefts and lies, prosecutors charged during his trial. They started when the family lived in Ypsilanti, continuing after their move west.

Longo is on death row for the crimes. He was convicted after fleeing to Mexico and landing on the FBI's "Most Wanted."

The "Final Witness" episode told the story through MaryJane Longo's eyes, in an episode called "Fatal Devotion."

Read more background
    on the Longo family, including Christian's crimes.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ypsilan...final-witness/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I would only consent to an organ donation under this scenario, if it was the absolute last chance to save one of my children. I wouldn't accept it to save my life. I'd take my chances with God before I put any piece of this freak into my body.

I agree he's a sicko but doctors thoroughly test the organs before transplanting them. His organs are probably fine as long as you don't get his brain!

Oregon death row inmate pushes for prisoners to be accepted as organ donors

An Oregon inmate who was convicted of killing his wife and children in 2001 is pushing for inmates' organ and tissues donations to be included on national registries, KPTV.com reported.

Christian Longo founded G.A.V.E. and told Fox 12 in 2011 that he will stop appealing his death sentence if he is allowed to donate his organs.

Longo is still pushing for his cause.

A G.A.V.E. press release Tuesday said prisoners are not "looking for notoriety."

"They would simply like to give the gift of life to those who will die without it," the statement said.

According to KPTV.com, the Oregon Department of Corrections previously has said that they will not negotiate with a death row inmate about the appeals process.

In January, according to the Deseret News, Utah became the first state to pass legislation allowing prisoners to voluntarily sign up for the donor registry. Within six weeks, 237 inmates registered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/30...#ixzz2S2xgBV41
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Noble of a DR inmate to do that. They should sedate him and take his organs and that would automatically kill him!

kermit
    I am generally not an opponent of the death penalty. We make too many mistakes as far as I'm concerned and executed too many people who have later proved to be innocent. But that aside, This arrogant Longo fellow truly makes my blood boil.

This guy is an arrogant, attention seeking narcissist who thinks the world just has to listen to him. If the prison lets him on the internet to surf for 'relationships' as he puts it, it should be stopped immediately. His 'friend' who helped him put in a request of marriage was just one more attempt at publicity and should not be allowed. His cause of donating his organs is almost laughable and obviously another chance at shining the spotlight on himself. I would seriously wonder if another human being would want his organs in their bodies. I, for one, would pass on that.

The worst punishment for this jerk would be to completely ignore him and let him pass his days in his cell by himself. No more publicity and no more phone calls or internet access to anyone besides his immediate family. That, I believe, would put him exactly where he belongs.

He makes me sick.

First off...I'm curious as to your comment about too many innocents are put to death. I'd love a list, especially those recently with all these advancements in technology, that have been erroneously put to death. Another...if this is something that isn't paraded around, and mentioned only a handful of times, he's not really putting a spotlight on himself, but making a gesture in good faith. Lastly, it's a moot point since the clown in the governor's chair of Oregon isn't going to let anyone get executed on his watch, so this clown probably will die in a cell.

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    I was curious about this when I saw the comment. Found these articles for starters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongfu...#United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham

The Willingham case has several other articles online.

I don't think it's a stretch to say mistakes are made in any area of human activity, including capital punishment. The standards for evidence and competence of defense should be stringent. They work both ways. If the evidence is solid and the defense was competent there's little room for appeal.

48 Hours episode available on this case over at CBS online streaming.

The Pretender

An email from Oregon's death row? Murderer Christian Longo weighs in on 'murderabilia'

By Bryan Denson
    The Oregonian

Infamous Oregon murderer Christian Longo, once named to the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list, wrote an email to The Oregonian a few weeks back from death row.

The newspaper gets lots of inmate correspondence by snail mail, courtesy of the U.S. Postal Service. But an email from a killer? A man who murdered his wife and three young children? In your Outlook inbox?

Welcome to the digital era, prison style.

Longo, who in 2001 murdered his wife and three children and dumped their bodies in coastal waters in and near Newport, wrote the newspaper to offer his opinions about "murderabilia" – the online sale of notorious killers' mementos, including his own.

The Oregonian has published a slew of stories on murderabilia this year, and Longo weighed in. He offered the the opinion that inmates seldom make money off their letters, artworks or personal items.

Longo, 40, complained that someone mailed him a letter of support, and when he mailed a letter back, his would-be pen pal used him: "The result was finding my response for sale, as mentioned in your article, for $40."

But how did Longo's email reach the newspaper's email system?

Since November 2012, Oregon prison inmates who can afford an MP3 player and a keyboard have been allowed to receive and respond to emails from friends and family, and also receive digital photos, according to prisons spokeswoman Betty Bernt.

The emails are subject to electronic monitoring by prison staffers.

Inmates who can't afford the hardware may write emails from kiosks set up in the state's lockups.

But prison officials have no policy or law that prohibits third parties from forwarding inmate emails to others, Bernt said. Which is precisely how Longo's recent email happened to end up in the inbox of a reporter (and CCd to Colette Peters, the director of the Oregon Department of Corrections).

A third party – a friend of Longo's – received one of his email responses and forwarded it to The Oregonian, Bernt said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._death_ro.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information