Thread: Michael Martin McDonnell - Oregon

Michael Martin McDonnell - Oregon

Facts of the Crime:

He was 33 years old and high on meth on December 22, 1984, when he forced his way into Joey Keever’s car at a stop sign near Yoncalla and stabbed her 42 times. McDonnell killed Keever, 22, just 16 days after Oregon’s death penalty law went into effect. During his first trial in 1985, defense attorneys argued successfully in Douglas County Circuit Court that Oregon’s new death penalty law might be unconstitutional. The case went to the state Court of Appeals, which rejected the appeal in 1986, sending the case back to Douglas County, where a jury convicted McDonnell of aggravated murder and sentenced him to death in 1988.

No. 08-5254 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Michael Martin McDonnell, Petitioner
    v.
    Oregon
    Docketed: July 15, 2008
    Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Oregon
    Case Nos.: (S049368)
    Decision Date: April 14, 2008

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jul 11 2008 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due August 14, 2008)
    Aug 1 2008 Order extending time to file response to petition to and including September 11, 2008.
    Aug 22 2008 Brief of respondent Oregon in opposition filed.
    Sep 4 2008 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of September 29, 2008.
    Oct 6 2008 Petition DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/08-5254.htm

On June 22, 2022, McDonnell filed a habeas petition in federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/or...cv00909/167518
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Sentence officially commuted to LWOP.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dzT...RSrp4B4Un/view
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Former death row inmate dies in custody

By Robert Desaulniers
    KEZI News

SALEM, Ore. -- A man who recently had his death sentence commuted by former governor Kate Brown has passed away in custody, according to the Oregon Department of Corrections.

DOC officials said that Michael Martin McDonnell, 71, passed away in the evening of February 19, 2023. The DOC said McDonnell was incarcerated at the Oregon State Penitentiary, but died at a local hospital while on hospice care. He was serving a sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole.

The DOC said McDonnell first entered their custody on May 16, 1984. Court records show McDonnell had been sentenced to death for an aggravated murder committed against a Douglas County woman after he had escaped from DOC custody. Court records said the victim had suffered more than 40 knife wounds at the time of her death. McDonnell was sentenced to death in a 1988 trial, but his was one of 17 death sentences commuted to life imprisonment in December 2022 by then-outgoing governor Kate Brown.

https://www.kezi.com/news/former-dea...0985fdfb6.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information