Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Virginia Capital Punishment News

The Democrats must’ve sensed they’d lose control of their trifecta this year as evident with the GOP sweep in Virginia last night hence why they jammed abolition through.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Are there concrete possibilities of a death penalty reinstatement in Virginia?

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    As long as the state senate remains Democrat unlikely. It’s also worth mentioning that the lines from last night are from last decade only because of a delay in the census. The new lines drawn next year are likely to be more favorable to Democrats.

I've been thinking that, with trends typically favoring the out of power party, and that trend clearly manifesting itself yesterday, could these circumstances allow Republicans to hold the governorship in GA next year?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Georgia is a little complicated, the state GOP is at each other’s throats and the state film tax credit keeps bringing Hollywood there. You could make an argument that a red year like next year should give the GOP enough of a cushion to hold the governor’s office, but long term the writing is on the wall. It will be a Democrat state next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I've been thinking that, with trends typically favoring the out of power party, and that trend clearly manifesting itself yesterday, could these circumstances allow Republicans to hold the governorship in GA next year?
    Aaron I really wished I would’ve cast my ballot for Ciattarelli yesterday I never expected him to be within 100 votes of taking out Murphy it would’ve been a great parting gift from me to our state before I move back to a Glen Youngkin controlled Virginia in two weeks. I’m very happy to see my state go red again.
    Last edited by Neil; 11-03-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Execution equipment donated to museum

Commonwealth of Virginia’s electric chair and other implements of execution have been donated to a Richmond museum to be preserved for educational purposes.

“This action closes the era of state-sponsored execution in Virginia,” Gov. Ralph Northam said. “The Commonwealth asked [Virginia Museum of History and Culture] to accept these items, as they have the curatorial expertise to appropriately manage and interpret such materials. The Commonwealth’s history of using capital punishment is an important part of history, and the museum is focused on telling Virginia’s full and true story for future generations.”

The oak electric chair was acquired 114 years ago to carry out capital punishment on those sentenced to death. It was used to put 267 people to death. It was installed at the state penitentiary near downtown Richmond in 1908, and later was moved to Greensville Correctional Center.

When Virginia moved to executions by lethal injection, the chair remained in place, but a medical gurney was used for executions.

Northam signed legislation in March 2021 to abolish capital punishment in Virginia, making it the first southern state to do so. Virginia has executed more than 1,300 people throughout its history — more than any other state.

Also donated to the museum is the medical gurney, along with other implements used to carry out executions, including leather straps. Those items were dismantled and removed from Greensville Correctional Center to the museum early last week.

With the abolishment of Virginia’s death penalty, Northam commuted to life in prison the death sentences of Thomas Porter and Anthony Juniper, the only two inmates on death row when the law changed.

As provided in the legislation, Porter and Juniper are not be eligible for parole, any good conduct allowance or any earned sentence credits, or conditional release.

(source: southwesttimes.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Bill would bring back the death penalty in cases where police officers are murdered

State Senator Bill DeSteph has submitted legislation that would restore Capital Punishment in cases where a police officer is murdered in the line of duty.

By Mike Gooding
    13newsnow.com

RICHMOND, Va. — The death penalty could be coming back to Virginia.

State Senator Bill DeSteph (R-Virginia Beach) has submitted legislation that would restore capital punishment in cases where a police officer is murdered in the line of duty.

It was just last March that then-Governor Ralph Northam signed HB 2263, abolishing the death penalty which, according to the American Bar Association, made Virginia the 23rd state overall -- and first southern state -- to repeal the practice.

According to statistics from the Death Penalty Information Center, Virginia had carried out 1,390 executions since 1608.

In the modern era, it was second only to Texas, with 113 executions since 1976.

Of the 377 individuals that Virginia executed for murder in the 20th century, 296 were Black, according to other data from the Death Penalty Information Center.

The last execution in Virginia took place in 2017.

But now, just 10 months after its elimination, DeSteph wants to bring the death penalty back.

His Senate Bill 379 would return Capital Murder to the books for "the willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a law-enforcement officer...when such killing is for the purpose of interfering with the performance of his official duties."

In an interview with 13News Now, DeSteph said: "I think that's the right thing to do. I think power projection is a force deterrent. And it's time to put that out there and say, 'We've had enough.' We've got to be tough on crime. If you kill a cop, you're going to get the death penalty."

But DeSteph acknowledges that this bill will face an uphill fight in the Democratic Party-controlled State Senate.

"I know in the end, the bill is going to get killed," he said.

The bill has been sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

DeSteph said that no date has been set yet for a hearing.

https://www.13newsnow.com/amp/articl...9-0d92030a5d13
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread Information