Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Keith Sigmon - South Carolina Death Row

On May 27, 2020, the Fourth Circuit DENIED Sigmon's petition for en banc rehearing.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6166.html

Final petition for certiorari filed to SCOTUS on October 26, 2020.

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Final appeal distributed for conference January 8, 2021.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (18-7)
    Decision Date: April 15, 2020
    Rehearing Denied: May 27, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...21zor_5he6.pdf

Appeals are now exhausted.

On January 28, 2021, Sigmon filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/so...cv00278/262256

Sigmon has an execution date on 2/12/21.

https://www.doc.sc.gov/news/death-row-report.pdf
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

But why if they can’t carry it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Sigmon has an execution date on 2/12/21.

https://www.doc.sc.gov/news/death-row-report.pdf
    Should'nt this be moved to scheduled executions?
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

SC man on death row for double murder files suit over 'concealed' execution protocols

HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WPDE) — A South Carolina man scheduled to be executed on Feb. 12, 2021 filed a federal lawsuit over the lack of information on the state's execution protocols, according to court documents.

The lawsuit was filed by Brad Sigmon against the S.C. Department of Corrections (SCDC); director of SCDC and S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson.

Sigmon was sentenced to death in 2002 in Greenville County for murdering David Larke and Gladys Larke.

According to a story the Spartanburg Herald-Journal wrote in 2001, authorities said the couple were beaten to death. They also wrote that Sigmon led police on an 11-day manhunt before being captured at a Gatlinburg, Tenn., campground.

Under state law, according to the lawsuit, Sigmon can choose what method the state will use to kill him - either by lethal injection or electrocution. The law states he must make the choice two weeks before the scheduled execution date.

However, Sigmon argued that the state has concealed what each of those methods of execution actually entails.

"They refuse to disclose what lethal injection protocol, if any, they will follow, or even what drug or drugs they will use," according to the lawsuit. "Nor have they provided the information needed to assess whether their electric chair will raise the 'specter of excruciating pain' and the 'certainty of cooked brains and blistered bodies' that has led other jurisdictions to declare it unconstitutional."

Sigmon and his attorneys sent a letter to SCDC asking questions about the execution protocols including: SCDC lethal injection directive or protocol, including the “type(s) of lethal injection drug(s) to be used;” (2) the SCDC electrocution directive or protocol; (3) information related to the qualifications and training of individuals making up the execution team; and, (4) any modifications to the execution protocols related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As a result, Sigmon argues that he can't know what steps are being taken to "guard against his unconstitutionally torturous death," according to the lawsuit. "Defendants’ secrecy diminishes Mr. Sigmon’s statutorily-provided right of election to no more than a guessing game."

Sigmon cites the delayed execution of Richard Bernard Moore due to lack of lethal drugs available as another case where SCDC didn't give information on execution protocol. According to the Associated Press, the state’s usual injection protocol calls for three drugs: the sedative pentobarbital, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride. But the corrections agency has said it hasn't had the drugs in stock since 2013, when its last supplies expired.

If the state does not provide their election protocols and additional information, Sigmon could be the first person in the United States in at least the last 45 years to be executed without knowing how he will die, according to the lawsuit.

South Carolina has not carried out an execution by lethal injection since 2011 and it has not carried out an execution by electrocution since 2008, also according to the lawsuit.

Sigmon has also filed for a preliminary injunction in the case

Attorneys for SCDC and the director of the SCDC have filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit denying that he has been denied access to SCDC’s execution protocols, and specifically state that Plaintiff and his legal team were provided the opportunity to review SCDC’s execution protocols in a confidential setting but chose not to take that opportunity.

Chrysti Shain, director of communications for SCDC, said SCDC has received a Notice of Execution for Brad Sigmon. Sigmon did not make choice in his manner of execution, as required by law, so South Carolina law defaults to execution by lethal injection. Execution date is set for Feb. 12.

She added that department does not have the drugs necessary to conduct a lethal injection.

"Companies have been reluctant to sell execution drugs because South Carolina doesn’t have a shield law like other states, which can protect the identity from anti-death penalty activists. A shield law would give SCDC another tool to go to suppliers and tell them their identity would be protected," she said. "Fourteen states have shield laws that protect company identities in order to carry out death penalty orders. The department has not had execution drugs since 2013, when our last drugs expired."

Shain said SCDC Director Bryan Stirling and later Gov. Henry McMaster have been aggressively pushing the S.C. General Assembly to remedy this since 2015, asking lawmakers to pass legislation protecting drug companies from having their identities disclosed.

"Also, in September 2020, legislation to provide a remedy and allow South Carolina to carry out the death penalty with the electric chair failed to receive a vote on the S.C. House floor after passing the S.C. Senate overwhelmingly," she said. "Director Stirling has testified multiple times in front of the General Assembly beginning in 2015, and SCDC testified most recently in front of the S.C. House Oversight Committee in June 2019, about the situation and need for new legislation."

Shain said S.C. House bill 3755 was introduced again on Jan. 27, 2021, and is currently pending in the S.C. House Judiciary Committee.

A hearing on the motions is set for Feb. 2 in Florence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ls/ar-BB1digeu
    Last edited by Moh; 02-03-2021 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added link
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

It won’t go there if there’s no chance of being carried out. I did read that there is a bill to make electric chair the only method of execution. The SC House is supposed to vote on it today

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information