Thread: Steve Carl Evans - California Death Row

Steve Carl Evans - California Death Row

Jeanette Elias

Steve Carl Evans

Summary of Offense:

Sentenced to death in Orange County on January 9, 2009 in the August 19, 2003 murder of 24-year-old Jeannette Elias. She had been stabbed more than 22 times, but authorities just stopped counting the wounds at that number. Three of the wounds were fatal. Evans was convicted on July 22, 2008 of first-degree murder and the special circumstance allegations of murder during attempted rape and during sexual penetration with a foreign object by force. He was also convicted of attempted forcible rape and sexual penetration by a foreign object by force. He assaulted the woman and tried to rape her before stabbing her with several knives, including a meat cleaver and a butcher knife. The victim was found fully clothed, but her hard plastic driver's license was found folded into fifths inside her vagina, and DNA from Evans' saliva was found on the victim's breasts.

January 9, 2009

Ex-con gets death for the sex murder of mentally disturbed woman

SANTA ANA - An ex-convict and registered sex offender sat handcuffed to a courtroom chair Friday as he was sentenced to death for sexually assaulting and murdering a mentally-disturbed woman in his mobile home in 2003.

Superior Court Judge Richard M. King called defendant Steve Carl Evans, 62, of Fullerton, a "sexual carnivore" who satisfied his appetite by assaulting and murdering Jeanette Elias, 24, with a meat cleaver, a butcher knife and a pair of pliers.

The judge said the Aug. 19, 2003 murder will have an impact on Elias' family forever.

It was the first death sentence handed down in Orange County this year, and only the fourth since 2005.

King issued the maximum sentence after he heard poignant words from Luis Elias, 54, the victim's father.

"I have to carry this with me for the rest of my life," the father said, "He not only murdered my daughter, but he hurt everyone in my family… I can't stop thinking about the deep wound he gave to her. He made her suffer."

"I hope he will never see daylight for the rest of his life," Luis Elias added.

Five of the jurors who found Evans guilty of Jeanette Elias' murder last summer sat with teary-eyes in the courtroom gallery as Luis Elias spoke. They said they came to the watch the sentencing to get closure and to support the Elias family.

Those jurors deliberated for less than an hour in the penalty phase of the case before recommending death for Evans on July 31 after they were shown a poignant 1993 videotape of Jeannette Elias, at age 15, telling her father how much she loved him during the penalty phase.

In the videotape, Jeannette Elias looked into the camera lens and said, "I just want you to know that I love you, and I'll always love you no matter what. Thank you, Daddy."

Senior Deputy District Attorney Michael Murray called the video "the single best piece of penalty phase evidence I have seen."

Before the videotape, jurors heard evidence from defense attorney Rob Harley that Jeannette Elias was a Satan worshipper and a drug user who suffered from mental illness and was living on the fringes of society after she was molested by a man when she was 7.

Harley portrayed Jeannette Elias as a drug user and an active participant in the satanic lifestyle. She had satanic tattoos, including "666" and the names "Satan" and "Lucifer." She also conducted satanic rituals and owned a so-called satanic bible.

Witnesses testified that she was stabbed 22 times during a violent encounter with Evans on Aug. 19, 2003, after he picked her up on his motorcycle in Fullerton and drove her to his trailer, which was parked near a church.

Evans had three superficial wounds on his body. Harley contended during the trial that Evans was fighting for his life and stabbed the victim several times in self-defense.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/e...annette-harley

Counsel was appointed to represent Evans on direct appeal on March 13, 2013.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...JRICAgCg%3D%3D

Opening brief filed on the 3rd of January 2019.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...JRICAgCg%3D%3D

The prosecution filed its response on the 3rd of February 2020.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....JRICAgCg%3D%3D

Evans' direct appeal has been fully briefed before the California Supreme Court since April 3, 2020.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....JRICAgCg%3D%3D

Thread Information